Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up a 2015 FJR from a member here. Clean bike with a few nice mods. 10.7K miles.

Got Garauds highway pegs and stiffy kit on order and a few other items. Let the games begin!

The only thing that disappoints me is the scaling/pitting on the forks and rotors. Is that common? With some rust remover and elbow grease I should be able to remedy that. And then I'll work on freeing up the rotor bobbins.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Congrats.

6 years old... 10,000 miles. Crazy isn't it?

Any bites on your ST 1300?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats.

6 years old... 10,000 miles. Crazy isn't it?

Any bites on your ST 1300?
Thanks Ferret. I'm guessing the low miles are because the original owner had limited ride time like I do now, maybe 2-4K miles per year.

Yes on the ST. Have an old friend who bought my old FZ1 who is interested. He asked for some time to think about it. I owe him that. I'm not pressured to sell it and there are another 2 potential buyers I asked to be patient. It's a good bike, but I'm really looking forward to the FJR.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Start with Simple Green and Scotchbrite pad or little brass brush, you'll find most of that stuff disappears and is on surface. If greasy use mineral spirits or naptha or WD40 before the Simple Green.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice looking machine there!

Welcome to the FJR Owners Club (only kool kids are allowed fyi)

Does your bike have rear baggage guards but no front crashbars?

Sort of an odd configuration lol.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking machine there!

Welcome to the FJR Owners Club (only kool kids are allowed fyi)

Does your bike have rear baggage guards but no front crashbars?

Sort of an odd configuration lol.
Yep, that's how I got it. I'm going to put on some frame sliders as the only crash bars I think look good are Canyon Cages but I understand they are no longer available.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Oh yea one more bit of advice. An FJR is very different than an ST 1300. When I first got my FJR, it was after 10 years and 110,000 miles on the (06) ST and I wondered if I had made a mistake. Give yourself some time to get used to the differences. Keep an eye on tire pressure for good handling. Pretty soon it will be an old friend .... like your ST was.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Love the bike, Whooshka! The FJR looks really good in Black!

Your nic reminds me of the Ukie word for "ear!" LOL

I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, for all my exposed aluminum stuff on my bikes, unless they are clear-coated! Does a great job!

Also, use it to polish my headlights on my cars! LOL

Reactions: passx

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the bike, Whooshka! The FJR looks really good in Black!

Your nic reminds me of the Ukie word for "ear!" LOL

I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, for all my exposed aluminum stuff on my bikes, unless they are clear-coated! Does a great job!

Thanks. I think the color is actually Liquid Graphite. Nickname is something I've carried for years. I played a lot of hockey and I was Whooshka Poplinski, the great Russian defective. :grin2:

I used to detail cars so I'm sure I'll have the FJR looking good in no time. It's just a matter of finding the time. LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome from Central NJ. For the rest of you who don't know, there are five parts of NJ. North Jersey (everything north of the Raritan. Central Jersey (below the Raritan, but not on the shore). Jersey Shore ('nuff said). South Jersey (the big blob below central Jersey comprised of pinelands and blueberries) and lastly, the part of NJ that would rather be part of Philadelphia.

Yes, we know, we hate you all too. (sarcasm font intentional)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
That is an awesome color name!!

I can't wait to see it after you have done your detailing!!

The more I read, the more I realize that we, as a group, have so many varied talents!

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The more I read, the more I realize that we, as a group, have so many varied talents!
I couldn't resist and ran down to the garage on my lunch break, easy to do when working from home ;)

Spent just 3-4 minutes with a brass brush, steel wool, Scotch Brite pad and Simple green. I'll remove the wheel soon to do a thorough job. I think it'll clean up just fine.

A couple of before and afters...

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts

"Mothers" works on the clear plastic headlights?

Machine buff or by hand or depends on how bad it is??

BTW, Mother's works great on headers too:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Welcome from Central NJ. For the rest of you who don't know, there are five parts of NJ. North Jersey (everything north of the Raritan. Central Jersey (below the Raritan, but not on the shore). Jersey Shore ('nuff said). South Jersey (the big blob below central Jersey comprised of pinelands and blueberries) and lastly, the part of NJ that would rather be part of Philadelphia.

Yes, we know, we hate you all too. (sarcasm font intentional)

I had no idea about the different parts of "Jersey" that's very interesting !

Wooshka, on your new bike, one thing you need to add or confirm you have is the Yamaha heavy aluminum rear rack or the givi sr357 or the Shad tube rack. All in the interest of not breaking your rear subframe. A Stiffy by itself will not prevent you from breaking your subframe, I would not run the top box until you've done that. The POS OE rear rack IS Just plastic and will not help anything. Do yourself a favor on this.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Some have the talent of using the same picture in our avatar and 2 different names !!! 😱😱😱😂😂😂🤐🤐🤐🏍🏍🏍

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
BOO-Yah, Scott!

Wow, those look amazing!!

Depends on the damage, but I keep mine up every 6 months, so I don't have to pull out the drill and pad. I can just use some Mothers, and a polishing "schmatta!"

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Wow, Whooshka!

Looks great already!

Nicely done!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh yea one more bit of advice. An FJR is very different than an ST 1300. When I first got my FJR, it was after 10 years and 110,000 miles on the (06) ST and I wondered if I had made a mistake. Give yourself some time to get used to the differences. Keep an eye on tire pressure for good handling. Pretty soon it will be an old friend .... like your ST was.
Yes I agree with what Ferret has said. Give your self some time. Two completely different bikes. It took me a while to warm up to my FJR after I traded my ST1300 in for it. Almost 140000 mile on the ST1300 and a 1000 mile ride back home after I bought the FJR with the stock shield. (Trade was a spur of the moment deal. Long story for another day) What I found was the FJR was a great cross between my old, 92 ST1100 and my 03 ST1300. That was over six years ago now. After 45000 miles on my 14 FJR I am hard pressed to sell it even though it has gotten a bit heavy in the last 6 years. Here is a couple of pics on the day I made the trade. .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks all. As for the subframe... I already have a Stiffy kit on the way. I didn't think I'd need one of the other racks too at the time I ordered it. I will pick up a 357 also. I just don't care for the looks of the 357 as much as the stock handrails, but that's on me. I'd rather go with function over form to make sure the structural integrity is not compromised. I assume I have just the stock rear rack. I'll snap a pic later and you guys can confirm that for this newbie. ;) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
At least 4 former ST 1300 owners have posted to this thread. How badly did Honda mess up not updating the ST 1300?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts