Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
My theory is that the little chain guide dropped down onto the chain, still trapped on top of it and the chain would just wear away at it. I get the fine fibres... good news trapped at the filter.
You could stick a borescope in the drain plug hole and maybe see what's at the screen or bottom of the pan. That screen is rather coarse compared to filter.... keeps the big pieces out. You may even see a bit of residue in your drain pan??

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Nice idea about the bore scope. They are much more affordable than in the past. I just got one and am having a time looking in all sorts of places. Got it to scope firearm bbls but all sorts of other stuff needs investigating too (now).
Silveryam,

Good advice. You can get borescopes with a USB connector that will work with any PC, laptop, tablet, or most phones as a display screen. Forget the cheapest versions, though. US$40 is the right price, but nothing less. Some borescopes will have 6', 9', o0 15' (2m, 3m, or 5m) cabling. Most will need to be attached (taped) to a stiffer wire to guide them into the dark holes.

Get one with LED lighting at the business end, and a focus/re-focus feature. You will be amazed at what you find in your car doors, drainpipes, et c. ;)

Reactions: bounce

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
So, yeah, I am thinking we all need to sponsor RaYzerman and have him start doing YouTube videos...

Because ****, homeboy has got something to say!

Can I just follow you around for a month, with a clipboard, so I can take notes?

You all continue to amaze and impress me! Well done folks, well done!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
or get one of these (AER‐O‐SCOPE) and you don't have to drain your oil, the camera is "steerable and self propelled using a joystick",

AER‐O‐SCOPE
This is a self‐propelling, self‐navigating borescope. A steerable bending section at the tip of the scope is controlled using a joystick.

An optical head houses a high‐definition digital camera with a 57° field of view and a complete 360° omnidirectional view. An overlaying transparent dome encases the lens and the light emitting diodes (LEDs) that provide the illumination.

The propulsion of the scanning camera balloon is achieved by carbon dioxide.

P.S. ...since the "virtual doctor's exams" are popular lately, when you are done with your bike you can do the virtual colonoscopy talking to your doctor over Google Duo :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Bore scope, schmoer scope.

I am pulling the pan. WHEN you find gunk on the pickup you still have to pull the pan to clean it off. Most pickup screens have gunk on them without this debris in the oil.

Another factor is the inside of the bottom of the pant itself. Most mc pans, and any aluminum pan for that matter have webbing cast in the bottom for strength in the flat plane. That webbing traps gunk, junk, and bunk, you do not want circulating in your engine oil. In a normal situation that is a good thing because the bad stuff is separated and isolated by the webbing. This is not a normal situation. That volume of crap must be physically removed or engine damage will happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a horoscope and will have a look when I get the chance. When Amzoil sent me the replacement filter I took the one I had just put on and took it apart to see if I could see anything but it looked ok. There aren't any abnormal sounds nor engine performance. I have been on the road and the bike is running strong suggesting nothing catastrophic is going on. When I have a look inside with the horoscope I will report my findings. I sincerely appreciate everyones input thus far.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I wouldn't put another revolution on that motor until I knew for sure. I understand it runs and does not make any noise and I dont fault you for the decision if you run it. The pan is a quick job. And if it was mine I would want an actual oil pressure reading after any repairs.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts