FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fudge, so I have 2015 fjr with the front forks being slightly different. I managed to change out the one spring, replaced and back together, having trouble with this one. Second photo.

I'm guessing you need to break the aluminum piece at bottom while holding brass with wrench?

Assuming there's another nut hidden inside?

Am I right?

I'll keep searching and utube. But so far, the videos have been for other gens.

Attachments

Registered
2014 FJR-A
Did you disassemble the forks only to replace the springs? Not necessary to remove the cartridges from the forks to change the springs. Not even necessary to remove the forks from the scooter to change the springs.

Caution on re-assembly. Several have snapped the neck on the compression valve on dis/re-assembly. That compression valve is not available from Yamaha as a separate item. Neither is the cartridge assembly or the complete fork leg assembly for the 2013 -- 2015 models.
There may be reason to suspect the torque spec for the bolt that goes through the bottom of the fork leg and screws into the compression valve to assemble the fork may be too high. Much like the torque spec for the oil drain plug may be too high.
Torque specs are usually stated for dry threads, unless specifically stated for lubricated threads. The torque spec should be reduced for lubricated threads, which those threads will be.

You might want to read some of the 200 threads on this forum about fork dis/re-assembly problems. This is one of the most recent, might want to start here.
(Resolved) Fork damage during rebuild. New tubes necessary? | FJR Owners Forum

Also, do not install the springs until after re-installing the cartridges and adding the fork oil to the correct level for the new springs. Then install the springs and caps.

Rayzerman has suggestions for making a cheap cartridge holding tool for dis/re-assembling the cartridges to the forks to minimize the risk of damaging that compression valve.

dan

Things are never so bad they can鈥檛 be made worse. 鈥 Humphrey Bogart (as Charlie Allnut) from The African Queen.

Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
Ya, I'm searching through these threads. Finding my year is pita. You know oil height for 2015? I've seen 92 to 140mm so far...
Whoever you buy the springs from should provide a recommendation for level and weight.

Registered
2014 FJR-A
Ya, I'm searching through these threads. Finding my year is pita. You know oil height for 2015? I've seen 92 to 140mm so far...

Follow the recommendations of the new spring supplier for oil level and oil brand and viscosity.

The A model forks are functionally identical from 2006 to present. There are some internal changes from 2013 to present that keep some parts from being inter-changeable between Gens, 2006-2012 damping cartridges in both forks, 2013-2015 damping cartridge in right fork only (dummy in left leg), 2016 to present damping cartridge in right fork only, but slightly different assembly.

BTW, no one ever starts a thread with a title that states the necessary information to find what you're looking for at a later time. AND no thread ever stays on topic so the needed information can be found in an orderly manner / search. Good luck.

dan

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. -- Murphy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow the recommendations of the new spring supplier for oil level and oil brand and viscosity.

The A model forks are functionally identical from 2006 to present. There are some internal changes from 2013 to present that keep some parts from being inter-changeable between Gens, 2006-2012 damping cartridges in both forks, 2013-2015 damping cartridge in right fork only (dummy in left leg), 2016 to present damping cartridge in right fork only, but slightly different assembly.

BTW, no one ever starts a thread with a title that states the necessary information to find what you're looking for at a later time. AND no thread ever stays on topic so the needed information can be found in an orderly manner / search. Good luck.

dan

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. -- Murphy.
I'll check Race tech.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts