FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working through maintenance checks on my new to me '06 with 6000mi. Noticed I have what appears to be excess oil on the inner tubes. Rather than an invisible oil film, it is noticeable and kinda streaky. There is no indication of oil on the outer tubes or elsewhere. My assumption is (1) dirty oil seals, or (2) dry rotted oil seals. Based on other issues I had with the bike, I firmly believe this bike did a lot of sitting around in a garage, so I'm wondering which is the likely issue. Any other indicators that I might check to help my diagnose this issue?

My plan is to replace the fork oil with the specified Yamaha 01 oil, inspect, clean, and lube the seals-- unless there are other recommendations.

I also have another issue that really concerns me. I have had to increase/dial in my rebound damping to 1 click to achieve a good fork rebound with no pogo/bouncing. This seams very excessive to me as I only weigh 160lbs. Might this be a symptom of low oil, bad oil, or something else?

Thanks, gents!

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Likely not low oil or it would be all over the place and running down your rotors/calipers....... unlikely you lost a lot. Seals don't dry up, but pry up the dust seals and see what pooled in there, clean that out, reinstall dust seals, go ride, see how long it takes to pool again...... that will give you an indication of seal leak rate.
But, skipping to the end, since you mentioned the rebound damping issue...... if there's around 30k on those forks (or more), the lower bushings are likely worn, need replacing and of course, that means a new set of seals.
The rebound damping could be because the oil is so filled with aluminum particle contamination, you will have some crud that settled to the bottom, and blocking compression and possibly rebound valving. The only way to clean it up properly is while they are apart to do the bushing/seal replacement.
Yamaha 01, tad too thin, go with an aftermarket real 5W or even 7-7.5W oil.

Reactions: USNSCPO

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ray. Probably crud in the seal and dust cap. You've kinda confirmed my suspicions on the oil. Either 01 is quite thin, and/or my oil is so old, its like water. Like I said, rebound pogo's like crazy until I cranked it down to 1 click. Anyone care to recommend a brand and weight for my 160lbs? Crazy how everyone grades their stuff so different... hence your comment "real 5w - 7.5w".

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
There is a centistoke chart posted somewhere...... Basically the Yammy 01 is more like a 3W compared to many 5W brands like BelRay, Spectro, etc. My personal preference is to be at 5W minimum, and I wouldn't go 10W.... some have which is OK but there is plenty of damping adjustment to accomodate 5-7.5W.
When you get it all cleaned up and new oil, try damping settings at 8 clicks out and tweak from there.

Reactions: USNSCPO

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up some Motul 5w, as it has higher centistoke ratings than the oem stuff. Gonna replace the seals just because (1) familiarize myself with the forks, and all the nasty fluids I found elsewhere in the bike from it sitting for long periods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts