FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I’m new to this forum. I’ve been reading it for several days and find it to be very informative and candid. I’ve been also reading the ST-1300 owners forum as I’m trying to decide between the FJR1300 and the ST1300. I sense that I’ll get a pretty good advise from riders who experienced both, the ST and the FJR.

Two year ago I sold my 1998 GL1500 and I’m currently looking for something sportier. (I’m 6’, 215lbs). This thread may appear longwinded but I would greatly appreciate your responses to the following comparison questions between the FJR and the ST:

1. Comfort (riding position).
2. Wind/Weather protection (I understand that on the 06 Yamaha has made a few changes).
3. Read a lot about the FJR’s heat problem (seems like the 06 model has addressed that).
4. Engine noise/vibration (ST owners praise their smooth and quite engine).
5. RPM in 5th gear at 75-80 mph.
6. Overall durability and reliability.
7. Recommended service intervals (cost of ownership).
8. Two up comfort.
9. Internet accessories/farkles sites for the FJR.
10. How long, on average, does it take from the time you order the FJR until it comes in?
I’m sure these questions have been asked before but your responses will be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,358 Posts
Been a while since I rode the ST1300, but compared to the '03 - '05 FJR;

1. Comfort (riding position)
> Almost equal. ST13 a little plusher, more refined

2. Wind/Weather protection (I understand that on the 06 Yamaha has made a few changes).
> Almost equal. ST13 a little smoother air flow behind the shield.

3. Read a lot about the FJR’s heat problem (seems like the 06 model has addressed that).
> ST13's heat focused on shin and ankle, stock FJR's heat on the whole lower body. I found it fixable, but stock to stock, I found more heat on the FJR.

4. Engine noise/vibration (ST owners praise their smooth and quite engine).
> ST13 smoother, tamer and less peaky.

5. RPM in 5th gear at 75-80 mph.
> IIRC, the ST13 cruises at lower RPM. Happier at steady RPMs, too.

6. Overall durability and reliability.
> They're both Jap bikes, very reliable. They're both winners here.

7. Recommended service intervals (cost of ownership).
> Again, about equal.

8. Two up comfort.
> Slight advantage to ST, only for airflow.

9. Internet accessories/farkles sites for the FJR.
> About equal.

10. How long, on average, does it take from the time you order the FJR until it comes in?
> The FJR's PDP kinda stinks. I could walk in and buy an ST13 today.

-

You didn't ask about nimbleness and power. The FJR feels very light in comparison... and between these two, the FJRs motor is Superman and the ST13's is WonderWoman. (nice, well-tempered strong enough, but never messes its hair) The ST13 is plenty capable in the right hands, but doesn't portray a canyon carver quite as well as the FJR.

And FWIW, the FJR may be the 'red pill' in this comparo, but my wife rated the FJR's backseat accoms higher than our old ST1100s.

Cheers.


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
1. Comfort (riding position). Ok best for 6ft+ riders

2. Wind/Weather protection (I understand that on the 06 Yamaha has made a few changes). Ok But not the best in wet weather but better in hot conditions, cannot coment 06 Yet as not available.

3. Read a lot about the FJR's heat problem (seems like the 06 model has addressed that). About the same as the ST1300. But I dont thinks theres a problem

4. Engine noise/vibration (ST owners praise their smooth and quite engine). Mines smooth and as quiet as an ST1300

5. RPM in 5th gear at 75-80 mph. Is 500rpm more on a FJR

6. Overall durability and reliability. Best in class

7. Recommended service intervals (cost of ownership). Fine

8. Two up comfort. 1st rate better than ST1300, passenger said the ST made her feel sick when on the back.

9. Internet accessories/farkles sites for the FJR. Loads

10. How long, on average, does it take from the time you order the FJR until it comes in? I just go and buy one from the shop

11. The Fjr can do 45+mpg @ 5000rpm fully loaded

12. Fjr has better handling ie, sharper

13. The Fjr can weave with a top box fitted sometimes, The ST13 does weave around the 80- 90mph make and some Police forces has stopped using them on saftey grounds.

14. The valves are harder to adjust than ST.

15. In the US the Fjr has been vote the best Sports Tourer several times.

16. Fjr will filter better as not as wide.

I do like the ST and has grown on me over the years and all the problems mentioned could be sorted out i'm sure, But when rode back to back they are like chalk & cheese.

Fjr is more Sport and the ST is softer.

All of your questions will be wasted as soon as you ride the bikes, because you will pick the one that suits you riding style.

Since you had/have a GL the ST will more than likely be you choice as it's a closer match.

What ever you pick enjoy the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
I agree if you are coming off a 1500 Wing you will probably prefer the ST1300, but if I were you I would make a point of riding both, because only you can appreciate your true lust for thrust, and if it up to the measure, the FJR will be you choice, hands down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I would agree with all the comments, the heat only proves to be a problem if riding in very hot weather, which is a bit of a rare in the UK so is not an issue over here. I like others have replaced like with like. The only thing that has not been mentioned is that the Blue ones tend to be faster than the other colours. :lol: ( wait for it ) But have a ride on one, you will Iam sure, be more than satisfied with the FJR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I got tired of he diesel-like drone/clatter of the ST's engine, it's quasi-futuristic styling, and it's 700+ pound weight, and the fact that it looks ridiculous without the hard bags attatched. It was a little to car-like for me. I could never really fall in love with it.

I think there is a reason why the FJR has finished on top of every magazine Sport Tourer comparo that I have ever read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I owned 2 ST100s. I went to a Honda test day half expecting to come away having bought a 1300. But I found the fairing pushed into my lower shins when breaking or changing down to the point where it got really uncomfortable. It never happened on the 1100. Anyone else experience this or am I a freak of nature..oo.oo.oo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,358 Posts
russell arthritic said:
am I a freak of nature..oo.oo.oo
Not sure about that, ;)

but my knees always used to rub that part of the fairing on my ST1100s (my knee rest)... but it also happens on the FJR, ST4S and R1. (not when braking though)

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
"Brakes?!!! I don't need no steenkin' brakes!!!"
R1derbike

(There was a graphic to go along with the quote but I'm to lazy to post it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I have had the pleasure of owning both the STX1300 and the FJR fully loaded. Appreciating all the opinions on both sides of the divide. In my view the FJR is a winner. Peformance and handling outstrip the STX everytime, finish is excellent on both machines and the comfort will see you far enough away from wherever you started without any problem.

In summary would I buy another STX, NO! Will I buy another FJR, YES most certainly!

The rest is down to individual taste and appreciation, there both great bikes, but for overall rider appeal and nothing put simply the FJR package delivers it in boat loads.

Enjoy,

Nova :wink:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,944 Posts
rocketdoc said:
I agree if you are coming off a 1500 Wing you will probably prefer the ST1300, but if I were you I would make a point of riding both, because only you can appreciate your true lust for thrust, and if it up to the measure, the FJR will be you choice, hands down.
I disagree. I came off a 98se (GL1500) after 10 years on different Wings. I *love* the FJR and wouldn't want to ST1300. By the time you get into an ST (cost and performance) you're so close to the GL1800 that it doesn't make a lot of sense to skip the GL1800 since it comes pre-farkled with so many things.

The main difference is that no matter what you do to the GL1800 or ST1300, you can't farkle into them the performance and handling of the FJR. While, at the same time, farkling in personal mods for additional FJR comfort is a snap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Portuguese "Brigada de Trânsito" - a kind of Highway Patrol - just bought 25 new FJRs...



... and Lisbon Metropolitan Police also got some new ones!



As I was told they decided not to buy this time BMW 1200 (typically Portuguese Brigada de Transito buys BMW 1150 RT and Honda ST).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
miguel21op said:
Portuguese "Brigada de Trânsito" - a kind of Highway Patrol - just bought 25 new FJRs...
Will have to watch next time i'm there then Mig!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
miguel21op said:
Portuguese "Brigada de Trânsito" - a kind of Highway Patrol - just bought 25 new FJRs...

(clip pic)

... and Lisbon Metropolitan Police also got some new ones!

(clip pic)

As I was told they decided not to buy this time BMW 1200 (typically Portuguese Brigada de Transito buys BMW 1150 RT and Honda ST).
Did you get the reason they decided to go with the FJR rather than the traditional BMW/Honda units, or did they simply finally figure-out they get more bang for the buck with the FJr?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
st ryder said:
Did you get the reason they decided to go with the FJR rather than the traditional BMW/Honda units, or did they simply finally figure-out they get more bang for the buck with the FJr?
At this moment I don't know but soon I will (hope so...). But it was not just a matter of money because in the past they used to prefer BMWs.
Any way I was told by a Yamaha dealer that BT was not satisfied with BMW service. I can also speculate that BT is happy with Yamaha because they also used to ride the Diversion 900 which is a very, but VERY reliable bike.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,618 Posts
Bet they're fighting over who gets to change their Divvy for an FJR :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
The ultimate group buy, you'd of thought buying that many they could of offered it to the rest of us as well, or did I miss that post :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
FJR vs. Honda ST 1300

Check your local library for a copy of the November, 2005 issue of CYCLE WORLD.

"Speed Wagons", a 5 bike GT shootout, should answer many of your questions. Hint: The FJR wins!

Enjoy your new bike, whichever you select.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top