FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've narrowed it down to the two, with the ST1300 as a dark horse. Why should I pick an 05 possibly 06 FJT over a 03 or 04 GT? Looking at low mileage 03/04's with extra's already on them for slightly more then a used 05 FJR and slightly less then an 06 FJR. Power wise both are more then adequate for what I need, which will be shorterr rides and the occasional weekend get away. Very rarely will I have someone on the back if at all. Any comments? Have test rides on both coming up real soon and both to buy in about 2 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course I would suggest the FJR, sense I have one and really like it 8)

Looks like you already have a BMW, that might sway you one way or the other based upon that experience (RTP, is that a police bike?). Of course the best way to know is to do what you are going to do which is take a test drive for both.

I have always preferred a new bike, because you know how it was broken in and what has happened or been done to it, ya know what I mean? I also prefer to put my own extras on for the same reason unless we are talking factory installed goods.

Lastly, if you pick the FJR, you'll be spending more time here, if not you'll be over at like http://bmwsporttouring.com/ more often.

·
Registered
75 Posts
06 fjr had some modest improvments to it over the 05 such as heat improvement, bigger windshield, adjustable handlbars, new dash, higher gearing, and some others I may be missing.

Isn't the fjr a lot cheaper than the bmw too? I'm biased of course so I'd say go with the fjr.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the last couple of weeks I had a chance to drive a 2003/4 K1200GT. I was very impressed and in fact it would have been my second choice behind the 2006 FJR which I'm picking up Saturday. I found the GT smoother on the highway as far as ride but certainly not as sporty. Engine was extrememly smooth and almost turbine like...but I liked the FJR's ergonomics better and it had an edginess that I appreciated. If it was between an 05 FJR and 03/04 GT then I would have gone with the GT. But the 06 FJR has just enough improvements to go with it.
I paid 14600 out the door for the FJR and the GT would have been about 12-13500 depending on seller. Maintainence is also much less frequent and significantly cheaper on the FJR. You miss out on the heated seat but gain better wind protection, more upright seating.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I absolutely love my 06 FJR, but I also have a friend that just picked up an 06 K1200GT and loves it. I think that he sleeps with it but I haven't got him to admit it yet. Price wise (I know that you are looking at a couple of years older) but after he got finished putting the kitchen sink option on his I think he paid around 23,000.00 :shock: after it was all said and done. I will have to admit the new GT is a sweet looking bike. We haven't traded bikes yet since we are still both on our new bike honeymoons. Maybe later I will swing a leg over it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
fjr1300

I don't think the BMW is sweet looking. It has no character. Everything is smooth plastic and most of the mechanicals are hidden. I'm sure it rides good and is technically a great machine. Bikes that still are a little rough around the edges are moreeciting and seem like a motorcycle. The FJR is refined but still maintains some character. Plus the price different and maintenance cost make the FJR a better value

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do have a lot of experience with the RTP's (a little under powered, but comfortable and made very well). Am looking for something a little more sporty and the FJR is looking like the favorite. Do plan on test riding both very soon and that will probably be the deciding factor. If I do go with the FJR I just need to decide between the 05 or 06. Must admit I do like buying new, but if I can find an 05 with the add on's already done that is very tempting.

I have been lurking here for awhile and am a regular on BMWSPORTTOURING (since 03). I'm just not a real big poster. Like I said thanks for the input, very much appreciated and maybe I'll see some of you in Reno next month. I plan on stopping by and looking around. Only a 90 minute drive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I were going BMW, I would opt for the 1200ST. Now that is a great looking and handling bike. You can get the optional hard bags for touring. I rented a 1200ST in Switzerland last month and toured the countryside and Alps. It is an amazing machine. I had been looking at the FJR last year and earlier this year at the New York Cycle Show and really liked the looks. When I returned home, I went to BMW and all but signed the papers to buy the ST. Two things held me back - my trade (low-balled) and the price of the Beemer ($4K over FJR). I went to Yamaha and Triumph (Sprint ST). I really liked the Triumph, but could not get past a chain on a touring bike - no thanks! I also looked at the Honda ST1300, but the damn pegs are right where you put your feet down. At 5'8", I can't spare an inch. At the end of the day, I found myself the proud owner of an 06 FJR. I have absolutely no regrets. This bike is just unbelievable. In the few weeks I have had it, I have logged 1300 miles. Honestly, I don't think you can lose with any of these bikes. They are all engineered to be all-day comfortable and handle exceptionally well. It all comes down to personal preference. That saidm the fairing on the 1200GT is just plain ugly! Just look at that thing! The BMW brochure shows it in white and it looks hideous!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love my 06 FJR also. I think it is a very good bike that could be a really GREAT bike if some of the minor FJR issues were addressed. Maybe next year. I still think Dear Mother Yamaha was not ready to put out the 06 FJR as maybe too busy cranking out the 600's.

But if I had the bucks lying around to buy another motorcycle, I'd but a new GS model Beemer.

(but Id keep the FJR for the long hauls)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've had a 2001 model FJR for just over 4 years, & I'm 6'4" tall, so I have the opposite ergonomic worries to yourself. I read a lot of the motorcycle press, & very few of them had anything good to say about the last model K1200GT - it was way over-weight, poor handling (except in a straight line) etc.

I have had no major comfort worries on the FJR in just under 28,000kms, & a further big plus is that most maintenance concerns are relatively easy to do (especially with the help of the associated sites here) - something that is considerably less likely with the BMW.

Unless most of your riding is on straight line freeway's, this comparison should be as marked as chalk & cheese.

I'd be interested in your feedback after test-riding both.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
czguybilly said:
I love my 06 FJR also. I think it is a very good bike that could be a really GREAT bike if some of the minor FJR issues were addressed.
What do you think these issues are?

It seems most of the gripes here are personal preference items rather than true machine flaws. I doubt any manufacturer can make a seat or ergonomics package for a bike that will fit 100% of the buyers just right. For things like chassis balance, brakes, engine power and smoothness, suspension, looks, fuel capacity and overall mechanical reliability, the FJR hits all the right buttons imho. The aftermarket does a very nice job taking care of personal prefernce things like seats, bar risers, screens, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BMW 1200st

My boss bought a new BMW 1200ST at the end of last year and has had nothing but problems. Every time he goes out to ride the bike...the battery is dead. He finally got pissed off and brought the bike to his dealer and said "Fix it" or buy it back. He put a battery tender on and that did not work either. He puts on very few miles on the bike. I don't even think he has enough for the first servive yet. Anyway, the dealer told him there were several service bulletins on the bike outstanding. They replaced the fuel injection system, reprogrammed the computer, did something with the ABS system and some other things. The bike has been in the shop all week. They finally got all the parts to fix it. He asked why there was not a recall on his bike and was told the dealer would have performed all the mods at the routine service intervals. Unfortunetly...he doesn't ride enough to get to the servive intervals.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: BMW 1200st

bandit said:
My boss bought a new BMW 1200ST at the end of last year and has had nothing but problems. Every time he goes out to ride the bike...the battery is dead. He finally got pissed off and brought the bike to his dealer and said "Fix it" or buy it back. He put a battery tender on and that did not work either. He puts on very few miles on the bike. I don't even think he has enough for the first servive yet. Anyway, the dealer told him there were several service bulletins on the bike outstanding. They replaced the fuel injection system, reprogrammed the computer, did something with the ABS system and some other things. The bike has been in the shop all week. They finally got all the parts to fix it. He asked why there was not a recall on his bike and was told the dealer would have performed all the mods at the routine service intervals. Unfortunetly...he doesn't ride enough to get to the servive intervals.
BWWHAHAAAHAAHAHAHAHHAAA! That is exactly why I'm running from BMW....I got a Mercedes that I can't even take out of town for fear of it breaking down and having to pay $500 to have it towed back to Dallas.....Maybe in Germany a BMW would be the bike to have, but here in the U.S. I don't think BUBBA back there playing like he's a mechanic has a clue!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take a look at how many former BMW owners are now riding FJR's and compare that with the number that have gone the other way.
Case closed.

A lot of newer BMW's do seem to have more than their fair share of problems. I was doing some pretty hard research when I was looking to buy both a FJR and a GS. I decided to pass on the GS.

·
Registered
126 Posts
20 Valves,

Of course, some things are subjective.

Most of my issues are of course subjective.

Others are set up issues.

But a few things like faring rattles and that floppy windshield, I call either poor quality control or bad design. Just my opinion. Have you gone down a bumpy road on yours?

I also dont really care for the linked braking. I'm sure its a engineering marvel, but I would prefer to make braking decisions myself. Again, just my opinion.

As in my first ever post, I'm 51 years old. Been on two wheels all my life. Owned just about every kind of motorcycle,. Raced Dirt track and motorcross (before it was called moto-x), Worked for many motorcycle dealerships, etc.

I just feel with a bit more effort, a very good bike could have been almost perfect. (of course with personal rider changes)

Spent most of the rainy day here placing some foam in my faring and removing the main throttle spring, along with taking a long hard look an how to tighten up some of the windshields movement.

Im still glad I bought the bike. Has lots going for it and I think in time I will have her "perfect" for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a former FJR rider, had two of em & have been very pleased, however I'm now on a GT & love that; I really dont think there is much between the bikes, GT is a nicer finish, more bells & whistles (at a price of course) has a much better turn of speed where it counts (roll on) but is absolutely dreadfull on the throttle at low speed.
Either bike will make you happy but I would say if you do big high speed miles go for the GT but if you also do a lot of stop go town miles go for the FJR.

·
Registered
185 Posts
PS - FJR for "stop go town miles"?!!!
Actually it was a complement, the FJR is a great tourer but also very nimble in traffic, the GT is IMHO a better tourer but rubbish in heavy traffic, I'm hoping it will loosen up A LOT after a few miles, watch this space.
You would be amazed at how those of us who use the bike daily could fly through the traffic on the FJR, that just isnt possible on the GT yet, for me at least.

Have you seen one? I agree the pics are terrible but in the flesh they are pure sex; well IMO, but then I am known for having unusual tastes :oops:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts