FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

While helping out my dad with a few bits and pieces on his FJR1300, we noticed that it looks like the bike is rolling further back while its on the centre stand. You can see where it's digging down into the tarmac a bit in the pictures attached, and that the rear wheel is touching the ground too.
We've checked the bolts underneath and they're all tight in case that might be an issue and we're at a bit of a loss as to why it's done this really. I've read that the earlier models, (this is a 2004 bike) had corrosion issues on the inside of the stand, so I'm wondering if it could be signs of that? The bike's on its side stand for now since we didn't like the look of the stand 馃槵

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers, Will.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

Premium Member
When on the center stand if the back tire is grounded is the front in the air? Stock rear shock?

It does look a little past "vertical", the center stand "feet" aren't flush on the ground.

Registered
that's unusual, as you see in pictures below the stand "actuator lever" doesn't touch the ground when deployed,
-wonder if your center stand "stop limit is worn a bit more"
  • or swing arm had dropped a bit
  • or rear shock extends too far out?

here is my '17E to compare, not much clearance under the rear wheel

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
Hard to tell, but does look like a bit too much angle. It's held on with two bolts each side plus the exhaust is mounted to the front part of the bracket..... you need to crawl under there and see what's going on..... more pics would be good.
Take a look at the parts diagram on Partzilla to see all the workings.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

We've had another look again today and somehow the rear wheel was now off the ground like in Damir's picture. Our guess is that there a few divots in our driveway so the bike must've been sat in one of those which lowered the bike enough for the rear to touch the ground. We still think the stand is rotating too far though.

I've attached a few close ups of the centre stand assembly, hope these help.

Thanks again, Will.

Attachments

Registered
I took a few pics of my '05 for comparison... you'll note my rear tire is barely off the ground but this is due to my 190/55 tire and slightly-longer-than-OEM Penske shock.
Otherwise, the link and pivot look very similar...
Mr. BR

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty Mr Br,

When the centrestand is deployed is there a pivot stop that would wear/bend with use to give excessive forward angle?
Also the shock is a Niton so not OEM, but the end of the actuator arm used to clear the ground.

Registered
Thx! I'm a little embarrassed actually... I've been working from home for 13 mos now so no more commute... in fact, I've only done about 350 miles in that time but only from running a few errands, dentist etc... I'm hoping to change that this summer. AND, I'd have to check my log book, but in the recent past I did pull the centerstand and suspension link for a full inspection and lube. I'm sure the cleanliness is left over from that. I need to ride!!! Btw, my '05 has about 78K miles on it.

Registered
When the centrestand is deployed is there a pivot stop that would wear/bend with use to give excessive forward angle?
If you look closely at my original picture, you can see the cross-bar which is the stop (some RED added here). It's a fairly stout part so I'm wondering if the part of your CS that contacts it may be worn....
You may be able to see it with your CS in the UP position (I can check mine as well).
Mr. BR

Premium Member
The problematic stand is definately too far forward. It looks like the part you step on is the only thing stopping it from rolling completely under the bike. You can see the piece above the pivot is much further back (exposed) than the normal stand. It's gotta be past the stopper. You need to clean that pivot area up and post more pics.

Registered
I am going to assume the bolt holes the stand itself pivots on are wallered out. You will have to remove the stand to check it out but it will be worth the effort.

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
Yes hard to say what's going on without cleaning it up...... the pivot bolts are shouldered, may be worn or the holes are worn or the stop, but something's odd.
As for Damir's measurements...... Gen1's have a different (shorter) wheelbase....... need to compare Gen1 to Gen1

Reactions: Damir

Registered
Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

We've had another look again today and somehow the rear wheel was now off the ground like in Damir's picture. Our guess is that there a few divots in our driveway so the bike must've been sat in one of those which lowered the bike enough for the rear to touch the ground. We still think the stand is rotating too far though.

I've attached a few close ups of the centre stand assembly, hope these help.

Thanks again, Will.
I see the dealer sold you on the "undercoat". 馃榿

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
BTW, there was another thread about replacement centerstand for a Gen1..... a Gen2 centerstand will fit....... and if it fit, I have to believe a Gen3 one will also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts