FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I look at it the other way. I'm fortunate that my wife hates bikes and will not ride. My time, my space.
I used to think this way; my problem is (though it is a really nice problem to have) that i seriously enjoy my time spent with my wife. So while I love spending time by myself, when I do go out and ride for a long time, I always wonder what time I missed with her. I know that sounds pretty wuss to most, but I never really thought I would be that way. Before her, I used to ride every time I could and joined any group I could to ride. I will try to balance it in the near future, but it was my wish for her to join me to experience something I love to do.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
I used to think this way; my problem is (though it is a really nice problem to have) that i seriously enjoy my time spent with my wife. So while I love spending time by myself, when I do go out and ride for a long time, I always wonder what time I missed with her. I know that sounds pretty wuss to most, but I never really thought I would be that way. Before her, I used to ride every time I could and joined any group I could to ride. I will try to balance it in the near future, but it was my wish for her to join me to experience something I love to do.
Props to people whose SOs are also their best friends. Think of all the people that are married just because they were chasing tail and stood still too long. >:)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Spousal Unit decided 13 years ago she wanted to ride. Got her first bike in the winter and with 600 miles on the bike, and her, we headed to the lower 48 from AK where we then lived. Now we have about 200,000 miles of riding together. She's ridden to Deadhorse and on most other dirt roads in Alaska and the Yukon, made 12 trips on the ALCAN/Cassiar and ridden in 35 states. I went from a guy who rode mostly locally and on weekends to a couple that makes motorcycling a major focus of our lives. She is on her 5th new Beemer (still has two), a Ural and loves to ride as much as I do. I'm thankful that I don't have a wife that gets pissed when I want to go riding. We leave tomorrow for an 8 day ride around MT with 3 days at the Red Lodge Rendezvous. Oh, but having a wife who rides is very **** expensive.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My wife has had several bikes and ridden her own in the past, but prefers being my passenger. I prefer it too because I was always worrying about her when she was riding her own and watching my mirrors for her more than looking ahead it seemed. I don't worry about her on the back of mine.

Now, I still get in plenty of solo rides, a lot of local stuff, day rides, couple of out of state rallies and a once a year out of state "Fall Men's Trip" with other male members of the family (we have a ton of riders in this family), but my wife and I still enjoy riding together as much as we can. Now at 68, she has had a hip and 2 knees replaced, she is not as comfortable riding long distances so we do a lot of local rides together, mornings or evenings, out to lunch, out to dinner, down along the Ohio river etc ...and she prefers I take the curvy hilly roads as opposed to the straight flat roads to get anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
It's tiring being the one doing the planning and making the routes and finding the hotels and feeling responsible for others.
Route planning? What's that?

My biggest complaint about group riding is that in a group ("group" defined liberally as "anything more than you"), there will always be someone who wants to start at the crack of dawn and go to the crash of nightfall (not bad in the winter, but a real PITA in the summertime), someone who dawdles over breakfast, someone who is a slave to the schedule ("We need to make 600 miles today."), and someone who needs to stop and smell every freakin' flower.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
LOl my wife has been riding passenger with me for 48 years, all over the US, Canada, Europe. Great riding partner. She loves riding with me and I love her riding with me. The experiences we have shared on 2 wheels together have been amazing. May be why we have managed to stay happily married for 46 years. (and yes she has been known to fall asleep back there on occasion.

On the way to Florida 1977

Riding the Dragon NC 2010

At my son's house out for an evening ride 2020

Bravo! My wife rode with me on my Yamaha XS750 and was also known to go to sleep on back. She stopped when she got to the point that she couldn't sit with her knees bent that long. As far as safety, I can assure you I was safer with her on back than not. :wink2:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Route planning? What's that?

My biggest complaint about group riding is that in a group ("group" defined liberally as "anything more than you"), there will always be someone who wants to start at the crack of dawn and go to the crash of nightfall (not bad in the winter, but a real PITA in the summertime), someone who dawdles over breakfast, someone who is a slave to the schedule ("We need to make 600 miles today."), and someone who needs to stop and smell every freakin' flower.
Aint that the truth, it turns into a big pita. When you travel alone you meet a lot more ppl too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm not really a group rider either, but I am a member of a group of people who meet once a year in various locales, and I seriously enjoy them. I just got home from one at South Dakota and a friend and fellow FJR rider had planned to take and extra couple of weeks to attend the group ride at Red Lodge. Sadly, we decided to cut our rides short because of the COVID-19 scare. I would have enjoyed that ride and meeting some of you folks in person.

I can enjoy a group ride if I'm not in charge. I do not want to organize or try to run one. Otherwise, I just try to remember that it's not all about me and enjoy myself. I've gotten to the point that I enjoy traveling solo. Then it is all about me. An occasional group ride, though, can be fun if I'll let it me.

I will say that if the group ride is the regimented type of ride where everyone has to ride in accordance with the rules set forth in some manual, I'm out. Give me my own space -- a couple of seconds fore and aft -- and I'm good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with you Ferret - my wife likes to ride with me, and has no interest in getting her own bike. 40 years of riding with me.
She's very comfortable on the FJR, and will not go near the Monster LOL
and we have a Miata if two wheels isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For 25 years my wife had no interest in riding. Then 1 day she decided to start. I’m lucky. She rides with me locally and stays home for the long distance rides. There’s a lot I wish we could see together but my riding style of long days with little rest would not be fun for her. Or me when it stopped being fun for her!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Went for a little scoot from London, ON to Bayfield, ON (about 100 km one-way) yesterday afternoon. Met up with my brother and his wife on their K1600GTL and had dinner at The Docks. It sure is nice that the patios are open again! Anyway, it got me to thinking how much fun two-up riding is. The FJR is such a competent machine and so stable with a passenger. The throttle may have gotten stuck for a moment or two on a back road - what a shame. The FJR is rock-steady at 165 km/h two-up, or so I've been told :)

Zwartie

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
For 25 years my wife had no interest in riding. Then 1 day she decided to start. I'm lucky. She rides with me locally and stays home for the long distance rides. There's a lot I wish we could see together but my riding style of long days with little rest would not be fun for her. Or me when it stopped being fun for her!
My wife knows her limits and knows mine. About 6 hours in the saddle a day is all she can and wants to handle which is fine with me. That is what we plan for when on a trip or a day together. She has no interest in going longer and no interest in keeping me from longer trips when I want to go.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts