FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often thought that it would be nice to have a fully faired bike that weighs 200 lbs less than the FJR. The 06 FZ1 has a fairing kit and bags available and it has 150 hp and decent suspension. The new BMW F800ST is a candidate 80 plus hp decent fairing, heated grips etc. Both have a similar riding position to the FJR.
How will these 2 competitors handle and ride compared to the FJR?
Probable a lot stiffer with harder ride. Seats may be harder or less comfortable etc.
Then again a 400lb bike is so much easier to handle in slow maneuvers and is much more agile. Probably less hard on tires. Better gas mileage etc.
Cheaper too!!
Whaderyer think?

·
Registered
737 Posts
quote: Probably less hard on tires. Better gas mileage etc.

I don't think the FZ1 will be better on tires nor gas milage. :roll: But I think, it will be quicker and handle better. :wink:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
200 pounds lighter would be less than pure sportbikes... and with existing technology, many compromises would have to be made. It might be a little twitchy for touring use, too... but I'd LOVE it!

80 or 90 pounds lighter than the FJR is FZ1 territory... and with the integrated hard luggage, variable wind protection and 150 HP... would be my dream bike.

Those 80 pounds between FJR and FZ1 make a HUGE difference in nimbleness, too... and with the FZ1's FJR-like horsepower, three words; YEE FRIGGIN HAW!!
Unfortunately, the FZ1's weather protection is virtually the same as a sportbike, and luggage options are similar to those used on a sportbike... so I traded my FZ1 for an R1. The '01 - '05 FZ1's riding position is even more upright than the FJR's, which makes it as comfy as the FJR on long trips, but that comfyness made the bike too cumbersome for more spirited track use. And since I'm fine with the sportbike riding position on longer trips, I'm delighted with my R1.

My current ST mount is the Ducati ST4S. FZ1 weight, integrated luggage, 122 v-twin HP... handles like the R1, but lacks the adjustable barn door windshield of the FJR. Sub-freezing rides are far less pleasant than on the FJR, and there's not the same Cadillac lounging riding position... more like the R1's. Guys that want to make ANYTHING about the FJR more comfortable, shouldn't even bother with a test ride on the Duc STs, IMHO.

And people say the FJR is sneaky fast, because it's so torquey, there's less drama in its acceleration... the Duc is much more sneaky. The v-twin motor's doin' business over such a wide RPM with the lighter weight... it doesn't feel like much is happening until you reach 'instant-incarceration' speeds.

:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DUC is a mighty bike but expensive. Understand the sentiment though.
It explains the allure of these lite weight tourers.
Believe the new FJR is around 600 lbs and the FZ1 is around 400 pounds. let's say there is at least 150 lbs difference.
The FZ1 is available fully faired and with bags for around $10,500. relatively cheap as this is list and can be negotiated down.
Case in point.
My Triumph S3 is extremely quick- does not have the same power to weight ratio as the FZ1 and is a hard riding but ace handling package just like the FZ1.
This means the FZ1 is going to be a bloody fast bike. The S3 is really really quick. The FJR ain't no slouch either.
I think the problem with these bikes is that the ride will be unacceptable to those of us who ride many hundreds of miles a day. However I think that a fully faired FZ1 will be a better tourer than the triumph S3 only because the fairing gives better protection.
However the FJR rules in that respect.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I don't have the figures in front of me, but to my recollection, dry (dream) weights of the bikes are; FJR about 550, FZ1 about 460, and R1 about 380. That's about 170 pounds from the FJR to the R1... and that difference is extremely noticable! ;)

The FZ1's fairing may look full, but I can tell you, '01 - '05, it's nothing as functional as the FJR's... and the hard bags you can buy for it don't fit the bike like the FJR's, and IIRC don't hold as much, either. Some FZ1 guys mount huge windshields, but I couldn't handle the appearance.

Did I forget to mention the noises that Duc makes? Intoxicating! Betcha your triple has a sweet groan as well! That S3 is a naughty lil' sucker, isn't it? ;)

In PA, during the t-giving snows, I sat on a V-Strom 650... I need to stay away from those FOR SURE!! LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you should mention a DL650. Just sold one. Nice bike, good all rounder very easy to ride.
I think you are on the money regarding the lites vs FJR although the bags do look adequate on the new FZ1. I am sure the fairing does little in the weather protection area.
Love the duc's exhaust note. The S3 wails then howls one of the best sounding bikes around with the Triumph off road cans fitted.
Actually thought about putting a can on the vstrom as it would sound somewhat similar to your bike being a 90 degree v twin! Pretend it was a ducatti, dream on eh!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Wow! I just looked at the dry weight numbers on the Yamaha US website...

and if you believe their numbers...

2005 FJR .............. 537 pounds
2005 FJR ABS ....... 553 pounds
2006 FJRA ............ 582 pounds (yeeesh?!)
2006 FJR AE ......... N/A (wonder why?!)

2005 FZ1 ............. 459 pounds
2006 FZ1 ............. 438 pounds (now that's the right direction!)

2004 - 2006 R1 .... 381 pounds

According to those, TTT, you were 'righter' than I was...

And if you look at the fact that the FZ1 got more 5 more HP and a claimed 21 pounds lighter... THAT'S the kind of treatment I expect from any model update.

and

THAT'S WHY I'M SO PEEVED AT YAMAHA OVER THE 2006 FJR!!!! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? ...allowing the bike to get porked up, 30 pounds minimum, with no increase in power? That means my '05 nonABS was 45 pounds lighter than the lightest 2006 FJR?? That's why I got so pissed and voted with my feet, the FJR was a little sacred to me, and it seemed like Yamaha took a leak on it. ... And that's why there's a Ducati in the garage, if I hadn't been so ticked off, I could have resisted the V-Twin urges indefinitely.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
....the Ducati ST4S... handles like the R1:)
Not sure I've seen that anywhere else. Although I'm sure it's lighter on its feet than the FJR.

Liquid, haven't you joined a Duc forum yet? :p

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
It does handle like the R1. Which is good and bad.

Bad: it doesn't respond well to just sitting and steering like we can on the FJR, it handles very awkwardly that way. You have to get the body into the curve or it feels gangly... like it doesn't want to turn, exactly the way I feel on the R1, and any full sports. It feels every bit as light, narrow and nimble as the R1 (don't know how), but without the rocket boost on the exit. Don't worry brudda, my R1 ain't leavin' my garage... unless someone I know gets hold of an LE, which may lead to irrational 'joinerism.' ;)

Also Bad: In order to get a good skippy lean angle out of the thing, you have to be headed into the curve a little faster than sometimes safe-visibility allows. (same as the 'R1 on the street' problems)

Good: Well... it handles like a sportbike ;)

- -

Yes, I'm a member of Ducati.ms - I've been in need of all sorts of Ducati-newbie info stuff. The site is mostly peopled with realistic people that hardly fall into the category of 'Duc Kool Aid Drinkers.' In fact, they bitch about things, incessantly! But I think you know I like the people here better! (why are they all not here?)

I'm not saying the ST4S is 'perfect' by any stretch! I do miss the weather protection, the ability to ride fast while sitting bolt upright, and the I-4 peaky-ness that's 'dramatic.' I like that, and miss that. The sound is wonderful, but I miss the I-4 increasing rush. Perhaps ol' 2-stroke lovers can never be rehabilitated. (?)

Don't worry brother, I won't fall into the 'brainwashed' Ducati hordes... I'm a Hoon at heart! :p (and I sure don't remember waiting for your sick ass at the end of the twisty stuff, when I was on the R1 and you on the FJR. But as I remember, I had a little trouble hanging with YOU on MY R1, as I rode your FJR! :shock: )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI. They seem to be harder to get than an FJR.

Here is a reply from a dealer that my buddy requested a quote from

I will not receive my first FZ1 until April. At this time we have no idea if they will offer a full fairing for this model or if the bags will be brought to this country that they have shown for the European models. With this being an all new model for '06 we have no information on accessories that will be available and when they might become available.

I hate to be vague, but Yamaha is not giving us any information at all. I am only allocated 2 of the new FZ's and from what I am hearing from other dealers this seems to be the case nationwide.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
From the Honda website; dry

2005 ST1300 ................ 631 pounds
2005 ST1300 ABS ......... 637 pounds

Thankfully, the FJR ain't THAT bad... and it's got a ton more go.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
But the FJR has made the first steps down the slippery slope of ever increasing features and weight that leads to the living hell of Wingdom :cry:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I thought there may have been a marketing decision to shift the 06 FJR further into the plush tourer line and fill the gap between R1 and FJR very effectively with the new 06 FZ1. The specs on the 06 FZ1 look very attractive. My hope is that the seat is comfortable, not an R1 clone and the range of baggage/fairings is flexible to allow a broad use of what looks like a versatile package. Roll on 2006.

Lenz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Liquid, I concur with your sentiment about Yamaha. Good luck w/ your Duc. BTW I also think the FZ1 will make a good choice Tripletango. I think you’ll have 5.6 gal tank for the distance. As for the Yam ’06 offering - the huge extra weight, longer wheel base, gear ratio change, too much thought in the brake set-up and clutch less shifter to mention a few is not what I feel the R&D experts should have spent the coins on. I said this all b/4 and got emotions stirred here but at this point I don’t give a hoot. I bought this bike like most others who were impressed with its touring comfort and strong performance. (hard to find a sport bike with the same weather protection I may add) I am guilty of wanting my cake and eating it too. But at this point I am a bit disappointed with the ’06 offering - but will hang onto my ’03 for now – not sure what’s next …

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yo guys, just too let you know I'm now the proud owner of an '03 FZ1 'Bee'. I almost decided on an FJR (used - don't much care for what they've done to the new ones) but there's too many nice bikes out not to 'try' out as many different ones as my budget allows.

I too, was impressed with the '06 FZ1 when I first read about it. Went to the Ft Worth CycleWorld show and got to study it up close. I really expected to come away thinking it was the bike for me. Sure does look nice and I like the FI, new frame, and color - not to mention the added horses. However, when I sat on it, it just didn't seem very comfortable to me - perhaps because I'd already put 300+ miles on the SV1000S and was already a bit sore, I don't know. There a few other things I didn't much care for (ie seat was not at all comfortable, 'inexpensive' looking fairing inserts, reduced fuel capacity, and plastic on the forward portion of the gas tank). I just didn't get the warm fuzzy that I was hoping for. I did spend quite a bit of time sitting on it but couldn't convince myself.

That said, later in the week I spent some time on an '05 and found it very likable and pretty comfortable, not FJR comfortable, but comfortable just the same. To be sure I hadn't put very many miles on the SV prior to this and so I wasn't as uncomfortable to begin with, and I know there's not supposed to be much difference in the seating positions between the '05 & '06, but I just felt better on it.

Weekend before last I flew out to Louisville and drove my 'new' '03 FZ1 (< 1850 miles on it) back (700+ miles) home. I very much enjoy my new ride and 'cause I got it at a good price, don't feel too inhibited about making mods. I'm confident the new '06 will be a great bike, but for me, I believe I made the right decision.

Well, now ya know my fellow hoons. Hope too see you fellows soon here in the Ozarks, at least by Spring!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
:D :D :D :D BOGGS!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Good to hear your voice, man! 8)

That FZ1 is an awesome bike. I found mine to be as comfortable as the FJR, just not for the passenger. Great bike... incredible motor, just watch that sucker over 7000 RPM, you'll know precisely what a liter bike feels like when it gets on the pipe.

Can't wait to get in some riding with you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can someone tell me what fairing "inserts" are?

Boggs - You got an 03 with only 1850 miles on her? That's outstanding!!!!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.