FJR Owners Forum banner

FJR Tank Bags

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  briano 
#1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion for a tank bag for a 2006 FJR. I'm not looking for giant capacity, just something to hold sunglasses, tire gauge, maps, FRS radio, etc. I want it to have a map window also.

Thanks in advance for the help. The tank shape on the FJR makes me hesitant to just order one on the internet. Oh, also, I'm not interested in the magnetic bags. I don't feel really confidant about them.

Dan

#2 ·
You could try this page.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/04instrut/tbfjr1300/tbfjr1300.html

But you really have nothing to fear from magnetic tank bags. I used a fully loaded Oxford tank bag on the FJR for years, did not even need tied on at speeds up to 150mph, never budged. Even with rubber matting between it and the paintwork it was solid.
I think the secret is at least 6 magnets, not the cheaper bags with just 4 lightweight ones.

A specially shaped magnetic FJR bag here.

#3 ·
Welcome aboard, Dan.

I had Bagster equipment on mine, which combines a leather-like tank cover that the bag attaches with buckles... but I'm not sure if it's available for the '06 or not. It's also about $300US for the cover and the bag together. The nice thing is, when you take the cover off to trade-in the bike, the tank looks brand new.

I've had all manner of magnetic bags in the past, though. No problems, ever. I MUCH prefer them to bags that have to be strapped down.

Cheers.

:)

#4 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I had found the RKA stuff and didn't know if there were some others that were specially designed for the FJR.

I was thinking of the 7.5 liter RKA. Just not sure how small it may be. I'm used to the BMW K1200LT tank bag, which is really small, but livable. I want to make sure I can still see all the gauges and dials without having to lean my nose over the windshield.

I'm going to see if I can find someone locally who handles RKA.

#6 ·
I have a Cortech super mini that I plan to have Kieth turn into a com pak but it is a very nice little mag job with a removable map pocket on the top and a very nice organizer pocket with a key clip, pencil holder and pocket on the inside of the top flap. It's about $60US from maw. It would easily swallow the items you mentioned.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=142&cat=43

#7 ·
malki said:
You could try this page.

But you really have nothing to fear from magnetic tank bags. I used a fully loaded Oxford tank bag on the FJR for years, did not even need tied on at speeds up to 150mph, never budged. Even with rubber matting between it and the paintwork it was solid.
I think the secret is at least 6 magnets, not the cheaper bags with just 4 lightweight ones.

A specially shaped magnetic FJR bag here.

+1 on that, I've had my 06 up to 245kph with a big tank magnetic bag (by Goldwin Motorcycle) and the bag never budged. Never needed to be strapped down, IMHO the wind protection of the FJR, at least in that area is good enough to keep most of the wind forces off the tank bag.
I'm 5'10" and have the seat in the lower position, yet have no trouble seeing all the gauges even over this size tank bag while in the normal riding position.

#9 ·
I can second Liquidsilver's recommendation about the Bagster tank cover & tank bag. It cost $400 Aussie, but it carries everything you need unless doing a big trip, so it keeps the bike slimmer for filtering / lane-splitting in town, & you avoid any deterioration in the finish of the tank. The cover is colour matched so it looks very good too. I've used magnetic bags on other bikes too, but they do tend to leave some scratching in the paint finish if you ride in all weather's. IMHO for a premium bike like the FJR, give her the best....!

#10 ·
gainsi said:
I can second Liquidsilver's recommendation about the Bagster tank cover & tank bag. It cost $400 Aussie, but it carries everything you need unless doing a big trip, so it keeps the bike slimmer for filtering / lane-splitting in town, & you avoid any deterioration in the finish of the tank. The cover is colour matched so it looks very good too. I've used magnetic bags on other bikes too, but they do tend to leave some scratching in the paint finish if you ride in all weather's. IMHO for a premium bike like the FJR, give her the best....!
gainsi you have a point, however, with an inexpensive kit (USD15-45) from Pacific Auto Trim www.thetankslapper.biz you'll have all the paint protection you need 8)
This picture shows the all the areas covered by the complete tankslapper kit, ask for Lucas, he's very helpful

#11 ·
I have a Marsee 15 Litre Teardrop, with a stap-on mount. I went with the 15L because it was the largest bag, at the shop, that would fit between the grips at full lock. I know...noone rides at full lock, but in tight-turns-parking lot-driving, that was a concern. I got a kit from Powerlet to get 12VDC into the tank bag to run mu accessories.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.