FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I realise that this is the FJR site and you are all biased to heck, well maybe not ALL of you.
BUT, after 9 years of being "bikeless" I have finally talked the boss to letting me buy a bike again.

My last , sold in the UK, b4 we came to Floriduh, was a 1993 trophy 900.

It was fine, quick when alone and smooth with her hanging on for dear life.

That Bike is no longer made and only the 1200 remains. But its bigger than my old 900 and maybe a tad more toury?

So...........I am stuck between a more sporty Triumph ST,( b4 2005, the later ones are way to sporty for me), the bigger, more towards the touring side Trophy and the bigger but powerfull FJR.

I have found a 2003 ST for $6k, they didnt make the Trophy after 2002 I think and can probably get one for around $4/5k and an FJR 2003 for $8k ish.

I am 48 6'1 and 190 lbs. The majority of riding will be me, pottering around town bit of country and ocasionally wit the boss for an hour or two, weekends etc.

Would really appreciatte your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,948 Posts
I've ridden the previous version of the Sprint. For me it was more a sport bike with bags than a S-T bike; even when the emphasis is on SPORT-touring like the FJR. I was only good for about an hour before it was time to call a break due to the riding position.

I've ridden the Daytona 600, but that's neither a Trophy nor a Speed Triple. So I can't report in them.

The FJR has the grunt and go to get the job done, but you can do it hour after hour, get to a good riding place, ride the heck out of the good stuff, then ride back home while your sport bike friends are howling about taking a break.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just curious, where in Florida are you? I'm in Miami. Have had my '05 FJR for about a year now and really enjoy it, but I'm not sure it sounds like the right bike for what you outlined. It might just be more bike than you need, both in terms of cost and size. IMO, it is not a great bike for pottering around town. Basically, it is a big, heavy, comfortable, sometimes hot, powerful, and fast bike. It is great for sailing along at ridiculous speed on the highway loaded with luggage and will comport itself very well for a big bike once you get to the twisties. I ride up to Atlanta (Alpharetta) periodically to visit grandchildren and to play on the twisty roads around the Suches/Dahlonega area during the day while my daughter is working. It's great for that kind of stuff. I'm planning a trip out West this summer on the FJR and it should be similarly great for that. However, if I'm not going "out of town", I ride the SV650. Check the FJR out, it is a great ride and may be perfect for you, but it is a lot of bike.

·
Registered
949 Posts
bounce said:
The FJR has the grunt and go to get the job done, but you can do it hour after hour, get to a good riding place, ride the heck out of the good stuff, then ride back home while your sport bike friends are howling about taking a break.
I like your description - kinda like the young bull and the old bull on the job - if you'll pardon the analogy. I'm sure Sherlock will appreciate the farmyard twist.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the earlier model ( 2000 ) sprint st, it was a nice bike to ride, very smooth and quite quick, BUT was the most unreliable bike i have owned in the last 15 years. bought new it was a string of problems that just shouldn't happen on a modern expensive motorcycle. i was proud to fly the flag against my jap riding mates, but in the end they got the last laugh. if you get one, buy new with lots of warranty, if its used with 3 months worth walk away,

·
Registered
632 Posts
By all accounts the 900 was a better bike than the 1200. But the FJR will be better than either of them (I don't believe that I am British and saying that !!)

·
Registered
73 Posts
2004 I bought a new Sprint ST 955i, great bike, no worries. Low fuel consumtion, which was a big benefit on my trip to Alps.

2005 I fell in love and bought new Sprint ST 1050. Much more sporty (in good and bad). I liked that very much, but then I crashed that totally.

2006 I bought new 06 FJR, I have to say, that this is clearly the best of those all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thnx

I really do appreciatte all of you thoughts and comments.

The 93 Trophy I had was great and I really had fun on it. The newish ST is a tad more sporty now but not as much as the 05/06 is. So I guess I could get an 02/03/04 and stick on some gen mar risers??

I agree with the fact that the FJR is a big boys bike. There is one on ebay right now in Hudson, which is 20 mins away fromme here in Spring Hill.

And a nice sounding st is being offered in Orlando, an 03 with bags for $5k.

Guess I should look and them all and decide.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a 2000 Sprint ST. Kept it for 4 years and 30,000 miles. I put a Sargents Seat, the Triumph windscreen and Gen-Mar risers on it. I had no problems with it, although I have heard of other people having issues (maybe related to maintenance?). I REALLY liked the bike and would have purchased another one, or kept mine if the FJR hadn't been there. The FJR is pretty much just more of everything for me. More Power, more comfortable, more heat, and more weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true

Its the weight issue that I have been reading about.

I am also considering maybe a Triumph Trophy 1200 . Noticed that there are 3 nice lookers on Ebay. The FJR's on there are tooo $$$$$$$$ for me. But was wondering if the lighter ST would be better all round as I/we wont be doing much touring at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts