FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the rear rim of a FJR (shaft drive) will fit any of the older (80's) yamaha shaft drive bikes? Thanks for the Help!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I don't think the swingarms of an 80's bikes can accomodate a 5.5" width rear wheel so my guess would be no, it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is for a fun project I am doing for my spare bike. Is the 5.5" at the tire, or is that at the hub? Typically I just buy one and I can work it out, but Parts for your bikes are too expensive to "experiment with" if the experiment goes wrong!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Superfly said:
Is the 5.5" at the tire, or is that at the hub?
It's the width of the rim. The hub width is somwhat irrelevant since the real limiting factor is the width of the swingarm. By the time you get a 180 tire on a 5.5" rim, you've got a bigger package than anything with a shaft in the 80's had. Most bikes in the 80's ran 3.5" rims on the rear with skinny tires. The VMax from '85 may be an exception but I doubt it. Wide rims were appearing on sport bikes in 1987 but I don't recall a shafty with wide rims until later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the shaft final drive arrangement is the same as is used on the V-Max, and the older 4 cyl Ventures. If that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I actually have a wider than stock rim on there already (spoked rim... hahaha looks great with the fairing!) and it is larger than stock. The only problem with it is that when I go to take the tire off, I have to pull the entire shaft drive off, but that is a small price to pay! I just really like the looks of your back tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts