Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
And to think on all 3 of my bikes I just look at the site glass when cold to see if they are full and go out riding. The wifes Can-Am is a dipstick under the seat. Cannot get the sister to understand that you check oil in her van on level ground with the engine shut off and check the trans on level ground with the engine running.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That's not how it's done for most motorcycles.

On most motorcycles it's on the center stand on a level surface (if the bike has one... not all do). Start bike and warm up to operating temperature ... usually a couple of minutes.

Once up to operating temp, shut motor off and then wait several minutes and then check oil level.

Check your owners manual.
My ZRX doesn't have a center stand, but they still say check it level. Sight glass is at least large and easy to see on the right. People will sit on it trying to hold it level while someone else looks, or they'll stand next to it holding the right bar trying to hold it level so they can see for themselves. It's not terrible, but if it's cold it can take a while to level out. I have front and rear pit stands that hold it level enough front to rear and side to side.

Put it on centre stand ( on level surface)when you park it after your last ride. Check level before you start it for next ride. Keep it simple and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup. I know for a fact that if I put the prescribed 4.23 quarts in with a short filter it'll be on the top line cold every time I check it if it's parked on the centerstand. Close enough.

My Goldwing was weird. I could let it sit for several days and check it on the centerstand with the dipstick, and it would show just below full. Start it for a few minutes and let it sit, like they tell you to in the book, then check it, and it'd be fine. :serious:

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Well, the whole point is certainly a few ounces overfill won't hurt you.
Or under.

Basically, if you can see an oil level line in the window, this comes under the category of, "Ride more, worry less."

21 - 23 of 23 Posts