FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the fjr a fun bike in traffic and how about lane changes,i am curious as i anxiously wait for the delivery of my 06 fjrA model............. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Florida view on Traffic may not be the same as here in the UK, but Yes!.

It is steady at slow speeds if required and filters (US=lane splits) well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Depends how often you ride in traffic, I do the commute into town daily & can squeeze through gaps the wife struggles to get through on her CBF600 & thats with the panniers on the FJR.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nimble FJR.

fjrk9,

The FJR is superbly nimble in traffic and lane changes are no problem. I have some real scary memories of my last ride from a friends house (I was visiting) in Clermont to Daytona Beach for a Bike-Week fest. We were on I4 for a little time, before coming off to New Smyrna Beach, (Gilly's Pub 44) then onto Daytona.

I4 was like the wacky races!! Great time and good ride though - I was piloting a ZL1000 Eliminator, my friend a GPZ1100. We also stopped off at the Volusia County Fair ground - I had been riding in just a T, man did I burn!

You live in a truely lovely place,

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
fjrk9 said:
is the fjr a fun bike in traffic and how about lane changes,i am curious as i anxiously wait for the delivery of my 06 fjrA model............. :D
I hate traffic and think the only thing that could make traffic "fun" would be a motard type machine. The FJR, with its wide handlebars and wide range of steering lock, does just fine at low or high speed direction changes and parking lot crawls.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Damn sight better to squeeze through London traffic than those blardy BMW GS thingies. If its not the humungously wide panniers getting tangled up with the cars on either side, then it's their handlebars and mirrors which are set at exactly the wrong height and catch alll the vans and lorries. You can more or less guarantee that at the head of any queue of disgruntled couriers and scooterists there will be a GS.

And being BMW riders they never get give way to quicker traffic :evil:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Tony said:
Depends how often you ride in traffic, I do the commute into town daily & can squeeze through gaps the wife struggles to get through on her CBF600 & thats with the panniers on the FJR.
How true that is. When I had my first FJR I was going through a period at work where I did a lot of riding to either Brum or Leeds and could squeeze though anything. For the last year, I've had to do a lot less of that and as a result feel really deskilled at filtering, although husband reckons that'll stop me (quite rightly he believes it's a tad dangerous :shock: )

·
Registered
632 Posts
Once I am on the bike, it feels as nimble as my VFR. Probably because I am more upright and it has wider bars.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Woody and Glen are both correct.

Both the Motard and the Mudplugger come in 450 and 550 versions.

Press release here
http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_sxv_press_release.shtml

Re the FJR filtering, Liz, Ian and I had lots of fun earlier this year filtering through the center of Glasgow fully loaded and very swiftly,

if the mirrors go through so will the rest, but some Scots taxi drivers did not seem to appreciate that fact :lol:

Stu.. the bagman..

·
Registered
191 Posts
No problem with nimble! Just be careful what you think - think LEFT and you're already turning! The FJR is very responsive. I don't find any difference in traffic between it and my Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the feed back, my warrior does great in traffic,and yes i due look out for the enemy at lights and parking lots, there is anxiety on a bike thats more top heavy then what i am riding,my warrior felt like 800 pounds, now it feels like a 300pound bike, once use to it i am sure i wont look back i hope ,thanks.....................

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Bagman said:
Something like this ??
Precisely. Think of it, go over curbs, into the grass, anywhere really. If traffic stops, take to the grass until it clears again. My garage is already full. :(

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Bagman said:
Woody and Glen are both correct.

Both the Motard and the Mudplugger come in 450 and 550 versions.

If the mirrors go through so will the rest, but some Scots taxi drivers did not seem to appreciate that fact :lol:

Stu.. the bagman..
I stand corrected Stu!

As for filtering the Fjr is quite narrow and not a problem really, if it can do Graveley Hill (Spag) Junction M6 on the Friday afternoon it can filter anywhere.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not an expert on the ducati but I did test ride a 900 monster. I quickly returned it because I wasn't used to the light feeling when you did turn. It felt like it wanted to fall over. At least the FJR feels like it will stay upright. I emphasize it was only one ride, but I want something that feels substantial. With the FJR I know where it's going and I know it's going there with precision and agility. It's very nimble at slow speeds.

DANG I love this bike

·
Registered
127 Posts
fjrk9 said:
Regarding nimbleness in traffic you will be better off with an AE !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts