FJR Owners Forum banner

FJR MODEL HISTORY

15K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  david1300 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me out with getting an FJR. What I want to know is were there any specific changes (bigger fuel tank, screen changes, suspension alterations etc) since the FJR was launched.

I am looking to trade in my CBR1000F for an FJR later this year but want to do my homework first.

Any information appreciated.

#3 ·
reality, here it is as best I can remember:

It came out everywhere except the US in 01
Came to the US summer of 02 as an 03 model
04 model brought several small changes...a larger 320mm front rotor,a larger windshield, a small glove box and optional ABS
05 not ant changes to speak of.

06 a fairly intensive redesign that you can read about on Yamaha's website.

I think this about covers it, someone will probably have a bit more to add.

Glenn

#6 ·
You are obviously in Europe somewhere..................

Silver Metallic 2001/2
Black 2001
Blue was lighter in 2001/2 (Deep Purplish Blue Metallic)
Red 2002
03 gave the technical changes as already mentioned, with front indicators made flush to the fairing.
Silver Storm (which is a greyish silver) 2003
Darker Blue (Galaxy) 2003 on
Somewhere in there was Jade Green (2003?), but rare secondhand, as is red
06 on, have a look at Yam UK website, many improvements

#7 ·
UK specs

Silver Metallic, Light Blue & Black 2001 (the only one's with blue front fork preload adjusters).

Red 2002 (shrouded rear shock)

2003/05 Larger 320mm front disc's, a larger windshield, compartment box and optional ABS and built-in immobilizer with built in front indicators.

2006 major update: YCC-S, or Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift, fairing etc..
See here for info, http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/sport_touring/FJR1300AS.jsp?view=overview

#8 ·
05 in Galaxy blue was the fastest, smoothest and coolest------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I mention I have one of those :lol:

Teejay
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

#12 ·
Now then children, having had a red one, which was fine.... and now the owner of a super Galaxy Blue one. There is no doubt at all that the Galaxy Blue ones are the most rewarding to ride and polish. Mine actualy talks to me when I ride it, and show it a bit of TLC... ( where have I put my pills ?) It keeps asking for more !!! :lol:

#13 ·
My Black FJR was manufactured 2002 but registered 2003 in the UK, easily recognised by the indicators being on stalks and not moulded into the fairing. 2003 (UK) saw the moulded indicators and glove box added. I am almost sure 2002 was the last of the Black models, assuming you are in the UK?

I also traded in a CBR1000F for the FJR and was a little disappointed in the poor quality finish of the FJR, especially the soft paint, compared to the Honda, also 5 speed only and obviously a much lower top speed then the CBR. The CBR with its full bodywork was a doddle to clean, the FJR was a pain, always ending with cuts and scrapes on my hands.

Having said that, the FJR was more upright, more comfortable, shaft drive, and still one of the few bikes that has rear pillion pegs at a decent low height, and it will still eat 5 countries a day for breakfast same as the CBR. Oh and don't forget the 145bhp over the CBR's 125bhp, you get it's full attention dropping down one gear instead of two. Fuel range is slightly higher than the CBR and wife is comfy on the back for near on 230 miles at a time between fuel stops.
I enjoyed my time with the FJR before I trashed it, but still have a love for my trusty CBR. I wish they still made them!

My CBR took me to 10 countries without hassle, but so did the FJR :mrgreen:

Hope this helps you chew things over a little more..

Malki

#14 ·
Malki,

Good reply. I love my CBR too, it was one of the last ones (T plate UK = 1999) but when you ride these 2 up they do start to show their age compared to the newer bikes like the fjr, especially with it's soft suspension and weaker brakes.

Did you not consider the 1100xx as this seems (seemed) like the logical next step for CBR1000F riders until I sat on one that is! FJR has rider and pillion comfort won hands down.

I also think the ST1300 would be a firm rival for the FJR if it only lost a bit of weight and Honda did something about that horrible styling...

#15 ·
Honda needs to do something about the straight line handling on the ST1300. The police are having problems with it. I have a friend that has been scared sh-tless once to often by the straight line weave that sets in around 80 mph for no reason! He tried diferent tyres and pressures. Finally cured it by chopping it in for a BMW.
Regards
Esme

#16 ·
@ Reality _check Yeh, I did look at the 1100xx but the pillion pegs were just way too high, and so were the ZZR1200's. I didn't like the styling of the ST1300 either, so ended up with a K1200LT after the FJR. Comfort for the Mrs you understand :mrgreen:

Malki

#17 ·
I know what you mean Malki.

One of the main reasons I am even considering an FJR is due to the other half...If I were a single man the blackbird would be my toy :D

What do you think of the handling of the FJR compared to the CBR? My father in law has an '01 FJR and says compared to his FJ1200 it feels like the frame is hinged in the middle and goes round corners with the feeling of a flat tyre?!

Thats why my original thred asked about any changes in the FJR's life so far and thanks to the responses I've had I'd say an '04 would suit me down to the ground (just a dam shame they stopped doing black ones!)

#18 ·
I never really liked the handling of the FJR, hinged in the middle is maybe a bit strong, but it was not as 'planted' as the CBR. Was better once I got rid of the Metzeler tyres and fitted Bridgestone 020's. I also found the rear brake a bit fierce and would lock up the rear with even the lightest dab when one up. Mine was a non-abs. Two up with luggage it handled better and was not as much affected by sidewinds as the CBR was, but there is less bodywork. I never did get round to fiddling with the suspension settings, other than the 'hard/soft' lever which is ideal when switching from one up to two up in seconds without getting your hands dirty. I could never keep up in the twisties with the likes of the ZZR's, but that was probably just me. I think most modern bikes could out perform me!

#19 ·
Reality_check said:
My father in law has an '01 FJR and says compared to his FJ1200 it feels like the frame is hinged in the middle and goes round corners with the feeling of a flat tyre?!
I have allways said the Fj12's handling was far better than the Fjr in standard trim. Far more secure feeling in, it was not possible to make one weave or get out of shape.
I had one for over 9 years and apart from the shaft drive the Fjr is not a much better and in some area's worse.

So it only goes to show that Yamaha knew what they were doing in 1984 when the Fj1100 came out.

#20 ·
Reality_check said:
My father in law has an '01 FJR and says compared to his FJ1200 it feels like the frame is hinged in the middle and goes round corners with the feeling of a flat tyre?!

Thats why my original thred asked about any changes in the FJR's life so far and thanks to the responses I've had I'd say an '04 would suit me down to the ground (just a dam shame they stopped doing black ones!)
Methinks the father-in-law exaggerates rather profusely.

My black (lovely colour, that) '01 handled OK for what it is, but along the way I've done the following:
1 - played with front suspension setup, and came up with improvements that really improved it for me; then
2 - added a SuperBrace - this made a noticeable improvement to the front, and 'stability through turns'. Again this really suited me; then
3 - bought a Wilbers rear shock in the first group buy - saved about 30 to 40% over buying locally (and the rear shock would be due for replacement sometime anyway - original had done 35,000k's). Again, another improvement, easily adjustable, can get a great ride whether solo or two-up and fully loaded. Then
4 - installed Wilbers progressive front springs - not as big a noticeable improvement over the other changes, but still good; and
5 - when I really want to behave like a hoon I ride on BT014's (5,000k's per rear tyre); but am currently on Avons (will probably get 10,000k's, same as BT020's).

My bike handles like it's on rails, solo or two up. This doesn't mean that I can use all it's capability - I'm not that good a rider, but it does mean it suits me.

For anyone who wants to improve their handling, just try adjusting what you've been given before making judgements. I found I could really get a very different front-end feel with the adjustment options. My end point was a fair bit firmer all round on stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.