FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on record as saying I’d never buy an Adventure bike. But today I did. I’ve had two FJRs and put right at 45,000 miles on each of them. Great bikes, but time to move on.

2023 Triumph 1200 GT Explorer. I‘ll do a full review on it probably tomorrow.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
877 Posts
Im sure regardless of what the truth is. The Triumph will be “better all around”. That’s usually how these reviews go😆.

All kidding aside, hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Congrats on your new ride (y) bike is getting great reviews, ...but the price here in Canada is way too high so unfortunately it won't be in my garage anytime soon.
Font Body jewelry Jewellery Automotive tire Automotive lighting

• Tiger 1200GT Explorer = cad $31,850.00 (all in, out the door, with the above panniers)
  • Tiger 1200 Rally Explorer = cad $33,000.00 (all in, out the door, with the above panniers)
to compare
2022 FJR1300ES =
cad
$22,600.00 (all in, out the door, with OE panniers :))
2022 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R = cad
$25,200.00 (all in, out the door, with above panniers)

...the above prices are MSRP so there is a bit room for negotiation, maybe

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Wow! Damir, that is a huge difference ! My buddie is a total Triumph guy but he sits on some kind of board they have and actively participates in their demo’s & shows. He had the last gen 1050 Tiger and it was a really nice bike but he sold it to buy a new Trophy back in 2014 and still has that. It is amazing on his Trophy how much alike it is to the FJR with the same brakes and a lot of the design the exact same. Just physically bigger & heavier.

The only thing I didn’t care for on the Tiger was the very tall (for me) seat height, but that’s the same for all adventure bikes. He had the optional exhaust on his and it was a sweet sounding scooter ! Loved the sound.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
At one point, I was looking to buy the Trophy and then it went out of production, the same as Honda ST1300 so it was the ($29K) RT or FJR, and it was an easy decision new '17ES $18K all in, smoking deal, and FJR is still the best value.

I liked the previous Tiger 1200 better then the latest one, which I find too narrow, like Tenere700 or Africa Twin, (2018 with the single side swing arm was one good looking bike)
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

the new Tiger at $30+K won't be flying off the shelf, but who knows Triumph faithful will always find the money.

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
206 Posts
I just picked up a 2004 VStrom 650 last week. Granted, it was free from my father and needed about $100 in parts and about 10 hours of my free labor, but it's a cute little "adventure" bike. Probably wouldn't take mine on anything more than a fire/forest road or county roads for you Texas folk, but its fun.

That Triumph though... VERY nice!! :p

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

There were several factors that led me to the decision, and I would be lying if I didn’t admit that it was just time to do something different wasn’t a factor. But like many of us on this forum, I’m at an age (nearly 70) that I want something lighter. I assume I don’t have to explain that. I also wanted more current technology.

What are the “must haves”? I own three bikes, and when you look at my signature you can see that the others are not suited for long trips. So this bike has to be well suited for long trips. In the past nine months my friend and I have done a two week/5,500 mile trip and a nine day/3,800 mile trip. So it has to be comfortable, carry lots of luggage and have the features that make long days as comfortable as possible.

Performance means a lot to me. I road raced motorcycles competitively 40 years ago and my passion for all things speed and handling wise has not diminished at all. The Tiger has 148 Hp and weighs around 50-60 lbs less than the FJR and it feels like the difference is more than that. I should point out the it has two versions that have 5.3 gallon tanks and the Explorer version that I have is 7.9. The weight rating is wet, so about 20 lbs are the extra fuel this version carries full.

I was always been very satisfied the the FJRs handling. I rode the Tiger on about 50 miles of the “twisted Sisters” in the Texas Hill Country this morning. These are basically in my backyard. I was at my coffee shop until about 8:30 this morning, rode 160 miles and was home by noon. I ride these roads several times a week.

To say I was amazed by the handling running at a very spirited but safe pace would be an understatement. All the articles on the bike say the same thing. The bike has all the performance features all well equipped bikes have these days. Included is an adaptive and highly adjustable electronic suspension. That along with wide handlebars, quick “steering”, light weight, etc makes for a really fun bike. I really felt like I bonded very quickly on these roads.

I have not run the bike flat out yet, but I’ve run it enough to know it’s fast. The numbers say it should be faster than the FJR. Not by much, but just running with the FJR is a good thing.

The TFT dash has the capability of interfacing with an app on a phone to perform phone, music, turn by turn Nav, and GoPro interface functions. Have not tried any of that yet.

I have not bought luggage for it yet. There are two different types available from Triumph. I’m sure there will be aftermarket as well. I have time to sort that out.

Glad to answer any questions.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Plant community

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good luck with the new bike and like the looks! Rode with a guy about a month ago who had one just like that. Good looking ride. I think would like to have an adventure bike but cannot afford two bikes at the moment.

·
Registered
2012 FJR1300A
18 Posts
I just picked up a 2004 VStrom 650 last week. Granted, it was free from my father and needed about $100 in parts and about 10 hours of my free labor, but it's a cute little "adventure" bike. Probably wouldn't take mine on anything more than a fire/forest road or county roads for you Texas folk, but its fun.

That Triumph though... VERY nice!! :p
Yeah I rode a Strom 650 from St Louis to NYC as a paid gig a few years ago. Wasn't a bad trip, but man getting into and through the lincoln tunnel in summer time was m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e ...yeesh

·
Registered
547 Posts
Enjoy!

Washington State has many fire road that my ADV bike friend enjoy. Thought about a V-Strom 1000 myself. 🤔Can be had affordably and serviced by my current multi-line dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts