FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a similiar thread about how fast she is. But i was curious when comparing her 0-60 speed as well as her top end acceleration. Who am i faster than on the road, this includes other cars and other bikes? Will i be faster than most...what do you think!?

Drew

·
Registered
361 Posts
Who are you faster than?

You would be faster than a local Aussie postie on the CT110 :crylarf:

I have had my previous FJR1300 (03) up to 265KM's going from Walkers Flat to Waikerie (South Australia).....felt very nice too....paniers on and top box...and tent too. :roll:

Pretty stupid thing to do come to think of it!!! (Bad Moose)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The FJR is faster than most anything out there, with the exception of two items........LEA radar and radio!!!! :mrgreen: Seriously, the bike will give you more than enough to keep the adrenaline pumping. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only answer I can give you is that we (my bike and I) has pulled away from everything on four wheels that ever challanged us at trafic lights.
AND, she is much faster than I am, she will happily carry on accelerating when I reach my limit, but that's just me.

:ale:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well 150mph & low 3 second quarters are possible more than quick enough with the added bonus of 2up comfort the only other ST bike that's quicker seems to be the 1200GT, but it's not nice to ride in traffic due to a very snatchy throttle responce, other than that it's the only real chalanger.

·
Registered
122 Posts
woody said:
Well 150mph & low 3 second quarters are possible more than quick enough with the added bonus of 2up comfort the only other ST bike that's quicker seems to be the 1200GT, but it's not nice to ride in traffic due to a very snatchy throttle responce, other than that it's the only real chalanger.
1200GT :? what about the new Kawasaki ZX14, this puppy has been termed the hyper sports tourer and comes stock with 195 HP and looks nice too 8) Some links below, let's give credit where credit is due

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/zx142006detail.html
http://www.zx14ninja.com/
http://www.zx14.net/documents/ZX-14 Review.pdf

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I dunno about the liter bike, or even the RR 600s.

If the rider can launch it well, you're cooked.

But they are pretty tough to get a good launch... and launching the FJR is childsplay.

:)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I don't have the numbers from the rags in front of me so I'm going off memory. I think most of the liter bikes' 0-60 times were in the 2.7-2.9 second range. The FJR was 3.2. Does anyone have a magazine in front of them to verify the numbers?

The launch would be critical for the liter bike lest it get bogged down due to the lack of torque compared to the FJR. But, assuming a skilled rider on each bike I think the liter bikes would alll beat the FJR in a drag race.

I have know idea about the 600cc machines. My gut feeling is they would lag off the line compared to the FJR catching it somewhere down the line but how far?

Glenn

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I saw a test of an 675 Triumph and R1 from 40-120mph in top gear the 675 was faster, so it's not just revs anymore the midrange of the smaller bikes are getting better! 8)

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
gr8eyes said:
Does anyone have a magazine in front of them to verify the numbers?
... and the magazine numbers are inconsistent at best.

With top-gear roll ons at a set speed, there are huge varibles in the gearing. I'm assuming the older FJRs would KILL the '06s, not because of added weight, but because top gear is now a half gear higher. You 6th gear nuts would be disappointed at how big a difference would appear on top-gear roll-ons with an overdrive gear in place.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
With top-gear roll ons at a set speed, there are huge varibles in the gearing. I'm assuming the older FJRs would KILL the '06s, not because of added weight, but because top gear is now a half gear higher.
Aaahh - but if you had an auto it would just kick-down and away you'd go :roll: or maybe even a manual push-button change down could do it too :p

Sorry liquid, the :twisted: made me do it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
woody said:
I saw a test of an 675 Triumph and R1 from 40-120mph in top gear the 675 was faster, so it's not just revs anymore the midrange of the smaller bikes are getting better! 8)
A lot of that is gearing too. R1 is also the weakest midrange literbike. I don't think an R1 pilot should agree to a top gear roll on contest with anything.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Guess that's why you were left whimpering in the corner when I challenged you with my V-Strom, eh Mack? :crylarf:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
20valves said:
woody said:
A lot of that is gearing too. R1 is also the weakest midrange literbike. I don't think an R1 pilot should agree to a top gear roll on contest with anything.
The point is that the 675 is superior in the engine design area, as it's giving away about 30% capacity.
Yamaha made the R1 (twin can) to be more user friendly (Honda like) but went to far when a smaller capacity bike rides easier due to better low to midrange power!
As for gearing that would make a slight difference, but the GSXR has the same top end speed (gearing) but it beat the triumph only just though!

If I was looking for a sports bike at the moment the 675 or GSXR750 are the best sports bike out there.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Was browsing through the bike mags in Smiths yesterday, and there was a review of the ZZR 14 in MCSL. They reckoned that Kawasaki are bringing out a revised plusher version of the bike complete with luggage next year to tackle the FJR and BMW head on.

I'm with woody though, they'd need to swap the chain for a shaft.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
woody said:
The point is that the 675 is superior in the engine design
You're not British are you? :mrgreen:

I don't ride my R1 around in top gear all the time and actually like its soft "dialable" power. I can promise you, when doing the things sportbikes are designed to do, I'm ok with my inferior design R1, it runs ok. 8)

I do believe the 5 valve thing has lost its charm and does not seem to offer any power advantage, if it ever did. Other than the new FZ-1, I think the only 5 valve heads Yam will make next year will be for the dirt, where their 5 valve motors seem to work very well.

Will Triumph be bringing its superior engine design skills to the dirt any time soon? :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
20valves said:
woody said:
The point is that the 675 is superior in the engine design
You're not British are you? :mrgreen:

I don't ride my R1 around in top gear all the time and actually like its soft "dialable" power. I can promise you, when doing the things sportbikes are designed to do, I'm ok with my inferior design R1, it runs ok. 8)

I do believe the 5 valve thing has lost its charm and does not seem to offer any power advantage, if it ever did. Other than the new FZ-1, I think the only 5 valve heads Yam will make next year will be for the dirt, where their 5 valve motors seem to work very well.

Will Triumph be bringing its superior engine design skills to the dirt any time soon? :wink:
Yes I am British that why I have an open mind.

You don't happen to like the 20 valve design Do You!

It's got nothing to do with being British and a British bike as the Kawasaki was all so quicker.

As for the R1 I do like them but the first one was the best. Also if you put a standard R1 & any standard sports 600 on a track the smaller bike will do faster lap times with the same rider.

This is the trouble with this site you post something and one person out of the whole post has to take it personally.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts