FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm new to this forum but have been watching since I placed my order for an 06 FJR back in December.

I was notified today that my FJR had arrived and I plan to pick it up tomorrow at 5pm. :lol:

I'm jazzed!!! :D :D

I've been two-wheel less since I totaled my GSX-1100G three years ago. It will be great to get back into the saddle.

Regards

Weekender

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would suppose that weekender is gonna be busy this weekend then?

Congrats

Enjoy the ride, as we all know you will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riding report 06 FJR

As another new 06 owner, I thought I'd share my impressions after my first 250 mile ride.

The FJR is my first modern motorcycle. My last bike (GSX1100G) was nice but the technology advance from 93 to 06 is astounding.

Engine power is outstanding. While I'm still "breaking it in" and have not had it over 6000rpm yet, this bike's low end and top end performance is apparent to the most casual rider. It pulls hard from almost any speed. The engine is without vibration until it starts to climb above 4000rpm. Since I do mostly city driving under this engine speed, clearly it will be a pleasure. There is some vibration in the seat at freeway speeds above 70 mph. but not anything truly objectionable. I have noticed some idle surge that I intend to have the dealer look at.

Fit and finish is great on my bike. I had seen some comments about orange peel on a few boards but cannot find any on mine. The only complaint I have is a loose trim piece on the windshield.

Handling is unbelievable. Since it has been a few years since I have ridden due to being "bike-less", I have been taking it slow and easy. But it takes corners with remarkable ease and smoothness. Absolutely not complaints.

Instrumentation is good but could still be improved. The turn signal indicators are small and hard to see when riding in bright sunlight with sun glasses on. This has resulted in me traveling along and finding that I had my turn single on for the last few blocks. The most disturbing issue I have with my new bike is with the multi function display. There is a defect in the display itself and the instantaneous MPG readout is stuck at 17mpg. This is a warranty issue but seems to be a concern that should have been caught by the dealer during set-up and test drives.

Wind protection. The windshield provides some good protection but it is too short for me (6'3: with a 34" inseam). I'll be looking for a tall windscreen soon. With the windscreen full down, I get air from mid-chest up; with the windscreen full up, I am in the bubble but have buffeting around the helmet. There is zero backpressure with the windscreen up (an issue I've seen talked about on earlier models). That said, the chief complaint is a wind whistle that occurs above 30mph. I suspect (from other posts I've seen out of Europe) that this is coming from the new air ducting system. If anyone develops a countermeasure for this please post it.

Overall comfort. I tend to not like to sit in one position for long periods of time (I've driven on thousand mile drives in a Lexus and can find fault in the seats). That said, I found the seat comfortable for short and long legs. I tended to want a break after about 70miles non-stop. I have concluded that I need to adjust the handle bars from the factory position as soon as possible. Even with my 35" to 36" sleeve length arms, I felt I was reaching too far to grab the bars.

Bottom line, the bike is a pure joy to ride. Any issues I have are minor and correctable. My only real concern is how much money I'll have to speed to properly equip the fine machine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@ weekender. If an 06 windsheild will fit an 05. And if you are intrested in parting with your stock one when replaced let me know. I hope you Enjoy Your FJR as much as I do mine. Welcome aboard :ale:

·
Registered
11 Posts
36 inch sleeve length.....how did you measure that.....from your wrist up and across your shoulders down to the other wrist? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lloydmarie said:
36 inch sleeve length.....how did you measure that.....from your wrist up and across your shoulders down to the other wrist? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know, when you buy a long sleeve shirt - they have the sleeve lenght and the neck size. Don't know where they measure it from.

Weekender

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ramleb said:
@ weekender. If an 06 windsheild will fit an 05. And if you are intrested in parting with your stock one when replaced let me know. I hope you Enjoy Your FJR as much as I do mine. Welcome aboard :ale:
Ramleb, thanks for the welcome.

Not sure on if the windshield will fit a 05 or not. I've seen some talk on these board that they are shaped different.

Weekender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that I am retired I just wear short sleeve stuff in the summer and sweatshrits when it is cooler. I will have to so look up some old shirts. I am only 5'9" or a little less and don't have long arms. I would imagine even with the adjustable bars some of us will be happier with risers. I will be riding mine home from the dealer and it will probably be close to a 3000 mile trip unless I come home the fastest way and then it will only be about 2500 miles. By then I guess my arms will be stretched out or else I will know I need some risers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts