FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my first dedicated cruiser mc but worried the Fjr might be too much bike for me.

I am 54, 5ft 10in and weigh 160 soaking wet. I am in shape and work out every day but built wiry with long arms and a 32in inseam.

The FJR1300 is a beast and would seem perfect for my area, the Florida panhandle with mainly straight roads and highways. Twisties and hills are not a thing here. Is the heavy fjr right for me or should I be looking at something like the BMW RT1200 with its lower center of gravity and much lower power?

any help will be appreciated. The prices now on these types of cruisers are simply too good to pass up. I am a very active mechanic with all the tools necessary so maintenance issues are not really a concern in my decision as long as the previous owner took good care of my potential purchase.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
875 Posts
Hi Rock, Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for an FJR!

Find a Gen3 or newer if you can.

Good Luck, and let us know when you get it!

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

You are tall enough that you should be able to flatfoot an FJR, and if you are in average to above average shape, you should be able to pick up a dropped FJR unassisted. With a little practice in low speed maneuvers, you shouldn't have any problems.

I also recommend a Series III (2013 or later) although most of the FJR problems were solved by 2010.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Rock..

I am 6'0 w/ 30" inseam.... heavier than you. But you have everything you need to mate up with the FJR.... my added weight is also top heavy.. you are in a better place that way I believe.

Just be sure that you know that the FJR is top heavy so needs some getting used to. Quickly, before the driveway gets you down.

I have a 2004 with 30k miles and it runs like a charm. Its all in how its been taken care of.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
Looking for my first dedicated cruiser mc but worried the Fjr might be too much bike for me.

I am 54, 5ft 10in and weigh 160 soaking wet. I am in shape and work out every day but built wiry with long arms and a 32in inseam.

The FJR1300 is a beast and would seem perfect for my area, the Florida panhandle with mainly straight roads and highways. Twisties and hills are not a thing here. Is the heavy fjr right for me or should I be looking at something like the BMW RT1200 with its lower center of gravity and much lower power?

any help will be appreciated. The prices now on these types of cruisers are simply too good to pass up. I am a very active mechanic with all the tools necessary so maintenance issues are not really a concern in my decision as long as the previous owner took good care of my potential purchase.
I recently picked up a 2013. I am 52 @5ft 10in and weigh 175 lbs. 32 inch inseam (give or take an inch). I walk/jog/run about 3 miles a day.

The FJR is a PIG for sure. Once I get my feet on the pegs, I'm golden. I can't quite flat foot but almost. By myself I am pretty confident, with the extra weight of the wife, I am more careful and wear a boot with a decent sole and heal (Timberlands for now) I do have proper boots but the sole is thin. It didn't take me any time to get used to the bike and weight. Great Bike.

The only problem I have had is trying to back up, going up hill. My opinion, if your our size in half way decent shape, You should be good considering you have some experience riding. My VFR now feels like a 250 weight wise. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm 77, and left my Harley Road Glide and BMW GSA at home today and rode the Feeger 530 miles. You may be a little trim and athletic and just the right size, but I'm sure you can adapt...

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
93 Posts
I'm 5-9 (on a good day) and 150 and have no problems. Always be a where that it's a bit top heavy when your going slow and you'll be good. The hardest thig for me is moving it around the garage, I end up sitting on it and moving it around so I don't get off balance and drop it,

·
Registered
5 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but I am in Tampa and am willing to go riding with you for a longer test ride if you want to find out if this is the bike for you. I am 5'7" and weigh 160lbs and have taken the FJR many miles without dropping it. It is actually much easier to manage here in FL than when I lived in TN and had to deal with fairly steep hills.

PM me if you are interested in a riding day.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Size wise, you’ll be fine. But i can’t help but think you’ll be wasting the entire 1/2 of its personality, which is wanting to be laid over on the corners. You could get even more comfort by going totally into the Goldwing territory or something like that…where dragging hard parts is less of a focus. Just a thought though…. The bike really is good for everything.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
Its been said... weight/height wise you'll be fine.. I'm sure you'll need to upgrade the seat like the rest of us, but honestly, if your roads are all straight/flat.. the FJR will be begging you to go around some twisties. Not sure if a GL1800 is the answer, however the newer ones (2018+) are more sporty looking like the FJR.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
147 Posts
I’m 69, 5’-10”, weigh about 180, 32” inseam, and bought my 2021 last April. The bike’s weight takes some getting used to but I have no trouble flat footing with my boots on, sitting on an AirHawk seat pad. I’m an avid distance runner and the leg strength comes in handy at times. I’m careful where I park because sitting on it and backing it up can be tough if it’s an uphill push. I just got back from a 6,600-mile trip and couldn’t be happier with my choice of bike.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'd say if you're in reasonable shape and you like the bike, go for it. I'm 74 years old, 5'9", 180 pounds, and in miserable shape. Jeez! If I can ride and enjoy one .............. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Rock, this is what I did, I am 5'9" and 155, my inseam is maybe 30-31, the bike I got came lowered(score!), i cannot completely flat foot the thing but I am almost there....the weight, only when moving around in the garage i feel it, to park it, like a helicopter flight, you strategically check where you are gonna park it, be uphill, downhill, wherever, just plan ahead....

So, long story short, what I did: rented one from Riders-share i believe is called, the one I rented was a 2019, beautiful machine, that one was not lowered, had my wife seated on it and road the twisties up here in GA, had a blast, now, every stop light I would pay extreme attention since that one was not lowered and I was tip-toing a bit, did not want to drop it and was a rental, however we have so much fun once it was moving....at the time I told myself, "it was nice, however it is an old man bike :)" a year later, bought a 2010 and I am like "This is the bike for young folks like me :)" -- my take away on the 2019, get rid of all touring-mode-raining-mode and just leave the SPORT-mode :) - the bike transforms, there should not be any other mode for that bike :)

What I like about this post though is the "I am 71" , "I am 69", "I am xx" and we are still riding....on one of my rides I met a gentleman 83 years old, riding the states on his GS to visit his 5 children throughout the year since he was retired looooong time ago...and he was still riding and in good shape, I told him I want to ride like him when I grow up :)

Go test it out before you commit, Like the Men's warehouse, "you are going to like it - we guarantee it!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts