FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might know, I owned a FJR 1300A and totaled it. I'm now waiting for delivery of a FJR 1300AE. While I'm waiting curiousity is setting in on the BMW K1200GT. I've heard that some of the K models have had certain reliablity issues but the newest K 1200GT may have addressed them. I know that the BMW cost more than the FJR but cost is not the object if the K-1200GT is truly superior than the FJR in terms of comfort and handling cinsidering that performance has to be close with the new 152HP motor. I had a lot of farkles added to my 2005 FJR, which included J&M CB/intercom, XM radio, radar detector, radar laser jammer, Garmin 2610 navigation, Corbin heated seat, heated grips and Scorpio alarm, wiring for cell phone, cigarette lighter and aux 12volt accessory outlet,

I kinda like the idea that most these goodies can come installed on the BMW ( at a cost of course).

I guess the question is doe anyone out there have or have experience riding the K-1200GT and can compare it with the 06 FJR. All prejudice aside which is the best cycle to ride? Cost no object.

·
Registered
80 Posts
tested both

I included both the RT and the GT in my pre-FJR purchase decisions.

Loved the fit of the RT but hated the motor. Loved the motor on the KGT but hated the fit. I really wanted to like the GT. No way I could ride it as anything other than a fast commuter or short canyon run bike. If you have a pillion ... forget the GT. My wife couldn't get off of it fast enough.

GT handles a bit better than the FJR, but is not nearly as smooth shifting.

I have only 100 miles on my 06 FJRA, but I can tell you I made the right choice, at least for me.

Fit and comfort are all very subjective, but I really doubt you will enjoy the KGT if you do any sort of distance riding.

Now if Bay Em Vay would just bolt the K motor onto the RT we'd have a tough decision to make!

Search for a good comparo of the GT, FJR and ST on motorcycle consumer news.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: tested both

Jimbemotumbo said:
I included both the RT and the GT in my pre-FJR purchase decisions.

Loved the fit of the RT but hated the motor. Loved the motor on the KGT but hated the fit.

Now if Bay Em Vay would just bolt the K motor onto the RT we'd have a tough decision to make!

Search for a good comparo of the GT, FJR and ST on motorcycle consumer news.
I agree on both BMW:s with you. To be more precise, The old R1150RT with any decent engine would be my choice. It may be my choice even with the the thing they put in the place where you usually find an engine in motorbike? The new RT is more agile, more powerful, more everything. But it's still just a big-bore boxer twin with less fairing than before.

The old GT I just quickly returned back to the dealer. A bit more motor, still clumsy gearchange and the superb fairing of the RT is gone.

But the new K1200 GT is really nice thing to ride, even though a bit on the touring bike side when it comes to turning into curves. Not clumsy, but no sportsbike agility either. Or even FJR agility, but more like touring bike stability. The engine is really nice and even sounds good and the gearchange suits me. A bit on the heavy side but precise. But I haven't got a test ride on 2006 FJR yet, and that's the only reason why I still haven't made up my mind yet.

The brakes on the GT were wery good, but so are those of FJR. At least compared to Bandit. The more important thing is the stability while braking, in both FJR and GT.

The standard screen on GT made it a bit noisy. Standing on the pegs with the helmet in free airflow is more bearable. This is the case with most bikes wrapped in plastics, but on the old RT it's more quiet behind the screen than above it at least for me.

But I didn't find where BMW have hidden the cancel button for the left indicator ;-)

An RT with K series engine was what I was hoping to see in the new GT, but it's not quite that, even though the wind protection is very good. But not RT good.

Has any magazine compared the new 2006 K1200GT with its obvious rivals yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My ride was an 06 model. I have only seen reviews of older ones. I thought they only changed the ergos a bit on the 06? I could be wrong. Still, the KGT just didn't hit my mark.

Yes, the FJR has a vastly improved screen, but I still want more.

Brakes are bloody fantastic! You must get a ride on one. KGT sure looks great, dunnit?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I reckon I'm pretty un-biased, have owned two FJR's from new (still riding one) but have a K1200GT on order.
I have loved my FJR's & if I'm honest I'm still not 100% sure that I have made the right decision in moving to the Beamer, however only time will tell for sure - delivery expected early June so watch this space..
I ordered the GT immediatly after a test ride, apart from a bit of a clunky gearbox (but no worse than the FJR) & the BMW style indicator switches I really couldnt fault it; ride isnt unlike the FJR but it just feels more revvy & fun to ride. Weather protection is again very similar to the FJR, infact it just seems like a sportier FJR with a better finish & more extras (at a cost of course); not sure I'll use the heated seats but stuff like the ESA are great & makes a noticeable difference when adjusted on the move.
I havent yet ridden an 06 FJR but was pretty dissapointed with the changes made, seat looks better but apart from that nothing that really makes me excited & lets face it for the sort of money a BMW or FJR costs it does need to get you excited; now if Yamaha had added another 20HP then maybe Id have got wood over the 06
:twisted:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw somewhere that a magazine dynoed the new K1200's and the rear wheel BHP was less than the FJR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be carefull when you compare the hp output of two differents bike. The test have to be done on the same dyno in the same condition. And it's not just one number but a complete curve that you have to compare.

My opinion : I'm not sure that you have a lot more in K1200GT for the extra price.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sure that you have a lot more in K1200GT for the extra price
Despite having ordered one I would have to agree with that opinion, of course the extras will be nice but worth the extra money??, we'll just have to see after I've had a few months on the GT.
Guess after a couple of FJR's its just time for a change; couple of years time when the next incarnation of the FJR comes out, hopefully with an altogether new engine, perhaps the hp demon will tempt me back.
Worse comes to worse, the GT has now sold out for the next few months so if I really crave the FJR i dont expect I would lose much money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tony said:
now if Yamaha had added another 20HP then maybe Id have got wood over the 06
:twisted:
well Tony, everyone want more horses, but do we really use them? I mean, have you ever reached the top speed of a FJR? Why do we want more power if we'll never use it?

To escape from certain situations, of course a little PS is good, and FJR's 145ps along with it's massive torque is more than enough to escape from just about any situation, so why ask for another 20PS? I still don't get it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts