FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 FJR
103 Posts
Thanks for the ride description. I'm originally from SoCal and rode those roads quite a few times. A nice one was heading down the coast through Orange County and then turn inland at Oceanside, over the mountains through Julian, and then across the Anza-Borrego desert to the Salton Sea. Then it was north to Palm Springs and then back to LA basin.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the ride description. I'm originally from SoCal and rode those roads quite a few times. A nice one was heading down the coast through Orange County and then turn inland at Oceanside, over the mountains through Julian, and then across the Anza-Borrego desert to the Salton Sea. Then it was north to Palm Springs and then back to LA basin.
Vince - that sounds like exactly the ride I did!

Look at the maps in the first or 2nd post.

1st day went around Salton Sea, through Anza Borrego to Oceanside.

2nd day came up the I5 from Carlsbad to Oceanside and turned inland on 74 - took it all the way across past Lake Elsinore and Hemet, up through Mt San Jacinto, then north on the 243 to Cabazon, and up the 62 through 29 Palms and the back way to Vegas.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
103 Posts
Look at the maps in the first or 2nd post.

1st day went around Salton Sea, through Anza Borrego to Oceanside.....to Cabazon...
Red, thanks, I just saw your map and that brought back lots of good memories.

I always stopped at Hadley’s in Cabazon to pick up supplies and have a date shake.

Now, living in Montana, I am looking forward to exploring the Northwest more. I did ride up here from SoCal in 1979 on my CB750 to do the Beartooth Hwy and am looking forward to doing it on the FJR. It’s only an hour from where I live now.

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14

·
Registered
263 Posts
Great splenation!!!
That is what I do with a few additions.
Living near the Columbia Gorge we tend to get some pretty good winds.
I will ride next to a large van or truck to use it as a wind block if the wind is strong and coming at 90* to my travel.
Also. If I find myseIf on a freeway with no breaks in traffic to move to I will ride in the right side of the fast lane directly next to the drivers door of the car in the next lane. I will move the bike around until I am sure the drivers sees me then ride next to them. I can see the expression on their face. They get tense and rigidly maintain their position in that lane.
They will take a direct hit from a cruise missile rather than wander 2 feet in their lane. I usually will do this to a smaller to mid size car. In that position I have a great view over their hood of all the other lanes, merges and exits which is where the danger is going to come from.
In 300000 miles if riding you will NEVER catch me riding next to any vehicle on purpose ( even in Seattle rush hour ) ..I prefer to stay alive .. Not leaving a car/ truck a place to change lanes is suicidal as far as I am concerned ..how many in car camera crash clips do we need to see to make people stop riding/ driving next to another driver?

·
Registered
2021 FJR
103 Posts
In 300000 miles if riding you will NEVER catch me riding next to any vehicle on purpose ( even in Seattle rush hour ) ..I prefer to stay alive .. Not leaving a car/ truck a place to change lanes is suicidal as far as I am concerned ..how many in car camera crash clips do we need to see to make people stop riding/ driving next to another driver?
I took drivers education back in the 1960s and they used something called the Smith System which, if I remember correctly, had 5 major themes. The one that I remember and practice to this day was called “Leave Yourself an Out.”

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I'm guessing what your post of the interstate will be but here's how I approach it- very fast! I generally run faster than traffic to find an open area then cruise along there for a while. When I again come up on slower folks I goose it to ride faster and generally quite aggressively to get through & past then settle in again. I like this much better than riding when surrounded by cars and trucks. Here in the east, without the "wide open" you guys have, speeds can be annoying low but interstates traffic flow on interstates will often average 80 mph.
I do the same. And if I am overtaking a semi on the highway, I will quickly sprint past him, then throttle back. I will also never, ever pass a semi on the right.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
A lot of the time, the biker spent time in the driver's blind spot. OTOH, about three years ago, I was on FM2499 riding through Flower Mound, TX. Mid-day, clear and sunny, light traffic, divided highway (three lanes in each direction), speed limit 45 mph, on a dark grey 2013 FJR wearing hi-viz Tourmaster and a white Arai. As I was overtaking a car on my right, the woman looked over at me and started to change lanes. After I jinked left and hit my horn, she looked startled, like, "Where did you come from?" I just hadn't registered.

Probably the only time in over 50 years of riding where loud pipes could have saved a life.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
I do the same. And if I am overtaking a semi on the highway, I will quickly sprint past him, then throttle back. I will also never, ever pass a semi on the right.
Of course! Most of us will not hesitate to give it an excessive amount of throttle to get around a semi. But I also do something else- speed up and drift left as passing the azz end. Keeps from feeling like I'm being sucked in. Then, as I near the front end I drift right. It naturally offsets the wind pushing off to the left. Give it a try, it works!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts