FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the NEC I picked up a leaflet from the FBoS team from Lancashire Ambulance Service. I'm thinking of signing up for one of their first aid courses down in sunny Preston and was wondering whether anyone else was interested?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Actually I could have done with that on the summer when I was the second on the scene of an accident in Preston. My Becky was first there.
We saw a bloke coming towards us on a Harley with his leg stuck out (?). Hmm. I thought, he's going to come a crop...AARRRGHH. Next thing I saw an airborne up side down Harley in my mirrors. I pulled over to call 999 while I bravely sent my 19 year old daughter back to scrape up the bits. (Clever thinking mum).

Anyway I then turned round and the guy was up and walking. We waited with him for the services and told him to hide his black visor.

He was mortified to be witnessed being an arse by a 19 year old girlie and her mum, both on big bikes. Bet he didn't tell that story in the pub. 8)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've now got a booking form from them. Dates I can make are 27 Nov , 4 Dec or 5 Dec.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was first on scene last year (had first aid training), along with my wife, who is a nurse, plus my mate.

Very hot day - two sports bikes overtook us.

A couple of miles later - saw chicken feathers all over the road, blowing in the wind.

Then I saw a biker on the floor, his bike many yards further down the road. Parked up and got to him.

He was wearing a cotton blouson (that's where the chicken feathers came from), denim jeans, trainers, NO gloves.

His entire clothing was shredded, his trainers were back down the road somewhere.

He had road rash from the base of his neck to the tips if his toes, even his socks were shredded. The bones were sticking out from his right hand. Blood everywhere. I can't imagine the skin grafts he would have to go through.

I immobilised him and checked him out whilst waiting for the ambulance - which took at around 25 minutes being out in the sticks.

His leathers were at home - too hot to wear them.

It was shocking even for my wife, who helped direct traffic instead with my mate.

First Aid training will come in handy one day - I have been first on scene three times now with various accidents, pedestrian (skate boarder), jet-skiing impact and a RTC.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've done the course - it is excellent.

However, it is not a replacement for a first aid course - it's an addition. It teaches you the things to do while the ambulance arrives - how to move the patient (if you have to), how to remove their helmet (and when not to), what emergency aid you can give them, how to direct the traffic etc etc.

I can thoroughly recommend it to all

Alan

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've decided to book myself in for Monday 5 Dec as I'm down south for the Christmas do. Didn't think 4 Dec was a good idea as it starts at 9.30 which could curtail the previous nights jollities somewhat.

Liz can you recommend a hotel in Preston for me please?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dinnae worry, booked myself into the Ibis, just up the road from the ambulance training place. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
39 Posts
First Aid

Unfortunately speaking from experience Liz , the most important thing is , before you do anything else - Assess the scene and make sure YOU are safe to give help - no good you and the casulty both getting wiped out by someone who cant stop in time .
As far as helmets go , if you have to remove it then use a rolled up newspaper as a stop gap neck brace .
regards chris

·
Registered
728 Posts
Re: First Aid

chris gale said:
Unfortunately speaking from experience Liz , the most important thing is , before you do anything else - Assess the scene and make sure YOU are safe to give help - no good you and the casulty both getting wiped out by someone who cant stop in time .
As far as helmets go , if you have to remove it then use a rolled up newspaper as a stop gap neck brace .
regards chris
Chris, sorry, but not sure what your point is here. I don't think I said I removed anyone's helmet did I?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Liz isn't doing the course, I am.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bugger, course on the 5th has been cancelled because of a lack of interest, apparently I was the only one going! So I'm now booked on the one on 21 Jan instead. This is a Saturday so if anyone fancies joining in then feel free to book in. I'll be staying in the Hotel Ibis in Preston, just off the M6 on the Friday night if you wanted to travel up the night before and fancied a beer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been looking at doing that course and if there's enough response from people in this area (Cambridge)I 'll see about setting it up I have a venue I've been told I could use for it (Soham)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Give the lovely Michelle a ring on 01772 773141 and she'll send you a form to complete.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts