FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw Gr8eyes' home town featured on the news, and the prairie fires have apparently taken a lot of homes. :(

Everything okay over there, guys? :?

Hoping and praying for the best.

:)

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
I'd heard about those, Mom's up in OK and there are several around the OKC/Norman area. Down here, Kenndale is within 15 miles of us, but since I don't commute that way, I haven't seen anything.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
John, thanks for the concern, we're fine but the house just south of us 3 streets, weren't so lucky. Yards mainly the houses are OK. When I went home for lunch I noticed some smoke off in the distance but didn't think much of it. Within 15 minutes the sky was black and I was getting a bit nervous. The fire got worse in avery short time dure to the winds. I told Marla to get all the pictures she wanted and put in the car. Luckily it stayed south of us.

Glenn

I've been wanting to get rid of the house but not that way. :lol:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gr8eyes said:
I told Marla to get all the pictures she wanted and put in the car.
Ugh. I bet that was a moment you both would rather forget. I'm told that losing a house is more difficult than it would seem.

Glad it's not coming to that. :oops:

·
Registered
737 Posts
gr8eyes, glad everything is Ok at your place. I've seen some pretty nasty pic's on TV of houses burned to the ground. :shock:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Here in Australia I saw reports on TV about those fires. They said the fires were being fanned by hot winds (in the middle of winter). And right there in the pictures, everybody was wearing jackets.

Are your reporters also such knuckle heads?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They ARE knuckleheads, but usually in this part of the country, unseasonably warm temps in winter usually come with high winds.

I'm only seven hours drive away, and we're having a normal, cold, wet winter... and we had a white Christmas.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The weather has been extremely warm for winter here the past week. High ranging from 65 to 72. Just 2 weeks ago it was low in the 6-8 degree range. highs in the teens. the wind has been blowing 30-40 mph and that along with the drought condition has fueled the fires.

Bernie why are you surprized about people wearing jackets in the winter?
Does that make the reporters knuckleheads? Maybe I missed something :cry: :?

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Bernie said:
Here in Australia I saw reports on TV about those fires. They said the fires were being fanned by hot winds (in the middle of winter). And right there in the pictures, everybody was wearing jackets.

Are your reporters also such knuckle heads?
Strong winds for sure. A couple of days back we had a string of 80°(F) days. It's gotten milder recently with highs only in the 60's and 70's. But you could easily describe strong winds as "hot" after they passed over the areas that were on fire. So, from the reporter perspective, they were accurate. :oops:

Beyond that, watch any news bit that deals with technical issues you truly understand. Evaluate it and notice all the inaccuracies. Remember that on all other bits as they are not likely to be inaccurate in just one area/field.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts