FJR Owners Forum banner

Ferry to Tasmania.

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bigdaddydave666 
#1 ·
I would like to hear from anyone that has taken their bike on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry. I'm interested in feedback on how the bike is secured and whether you still have access to it during transit. Also, how comfy are the seats/cabins? I'm contemplating going across in early March 2006 with a group of friends and would appreciate any info.

#2 ·
Last time I went over it was on the old boat, and it was good.

The newer boats gives you options on comfort, cruise seats, business class cruise seats and of course cabins.
I can tell you business class cruise seats will cost you (shoulder fees) $238 each way P/P plus $40 each way for your bike.

The bikes are strapped down using the front end over the handle bars, and last time I was there , u had no access to the bike during transit (may have changed)

Business class cruise seats are bigger, layback further and have a seperate toilet/bathroom from the normal class seating, and are located at the stern of the ship looking out over the ocean.

There is several choices for meals, a-la-carte or buffet style dining, not included in the fare price. Also several bars and gaming rooms.

Shared 4 berth cabin is only about $60.00 per person more shared.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I might pay the shipping office a visit next time I'm in Melbourne to see if I can get more details.

BTW, $230 gets you a porthole twin cabin nowadays. The business class seats are $158, and the 4 berth cabin is $196 P/P one way, or $114 for the business seat and $142 for the shared cabin if the return journey is booked online at the same time. This is the current shoulder fare which would apply for the period I'm thinking of going.

#7 ·
I went over to Tasmania in 2002 on the Spirit of Tasmania I and came back on the Spirit of Tasmania II.

They are a vast improvement on the old tub, but not so romantic!

The bike was tied down using nylon straps to fastenings in the deck. You can do it yourself or let a swarthy sailor do it for you. The bike was very securely tied down. If the crossing gets so rough that the bike moves, you will have other things to think about, like "Where are the life boats?".

The vehicle deck is not accessible once the boat leaves dock. I wouldn't leave anything nickable tied to the bike though. Items locked in paniers should be OK.

The cabins are basic and the air conditioning hisses all the time. The beds are Scandanavian hard. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and not too expensive.

Peter.

#10 ·
I went down and back on the Ferry from Sydney in Nov 2004. Only cabins, small but comfortable. We had a 4 bunk cabin, and it's pretty much, only one person changing at a time, due to lack of room.
We helped with the tie down and found that pushing down on the rear suspension, whilst the crew tightened the straps made it very secure. Also, use a towel or jacket across the seat, as the straps can leave creases that take some time to work there way out.
Over priced is really my only comment...$400 each way for a 4 berth cabin ...EACH!! And, bikes get no discount rate...same as 4 wheel cages.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.