FJR Owners Forum banner

Ferry to Tasmania.

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bigdaddydave666 
I went over to Tasmania in 2002 on the Spirit of Tasmania I and came back on the Spirit of Tasmania II.

They are a vast improvement on the old tub, but not so romantic!

The bike was tied down using nylon straps to fastenings in the deck. You can do it yourself or let a swarthy sailor do it for you. The bike was very securely tied down. If the crossing gets so rough that the bike moves, you will have other things to think about, like "Where are the life boats?".

The vehicle deck is not accessible once the boat leaves dock. I wouldn't leave anything nickable tied to the bike though. Items locked in paniers should be OK.

The cabins are basic and the air conditioning hisses all the time. The beds are Scandanavian hard. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and not too expensive.

Peter.

Wonderman:

We boarded at 7:30 PM and disembarked about 9:00 AM the next day. There's ample time for an evening meal, but breakfast was a bit rushed and then lots of waiting for the cars to get out of the way.

Peter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.