FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry about going off topic but I need some advice and I thought this forum would be the best place to get it. I'm an aussie dad with a daughter in the US. She was given (by father in law last weekend) a 4Cyl Dodge van with a zillion miles on it and it shat the camshaft last night, she said the wrecker will give her $100 for it which sounds a bit sus. Now heres the dilemma, I'm suggesting she buy a 6 cyl something and here is my theory (this applies in Oz, may not over there). Our 6 cyl's are locally built, cheap to buy 2nd hand, cheap to repair and capable of high mileages (some aussie readers may dissagree). I'll probably be kicking the can as far as the purchase goes so I'd appreciate some feedback if possible. I've been looking at things like the Ford Taurus ( 1998 - $3/4000) which had a short run in Oz but was not popular. She's in Augusta and her father (ME) doesn't want to spend much money coz our aussie dollars dont go far over there. She's not keen on a 6 cyl because of rising fuel costs but I'm thinking fuel my might be the lesser of evils.
Jump in folks/fathers, thanks Don

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
tanco said:
Our 6 cyl's are locally built, cheap to buy 2nd hand, cheap to repair and capable of high mileages (some aussie readers may dissagree).
Don, my son has my ex Commodore - 1995 model ex police vehicle bought 1 yr old at auction at 40,000k's. I drove it until it had 250,000 and he has put another 40,000 on in 3 years. He drives a company vehicle for work, but this is the 'recreational pool car' for him and his mates to go surfing, etc. It's been off the road for about 2 days in total in all it's years.

So, taking a line through my experience, I am all for a local vehicle, big strong motor, easily available spares (including used parts from wreckers, if needed). Challenge for you is to find the 'mercan equivalent of a Commodore.

On the other hand, I see some good used FJR's for sale from time to time :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
tanco:
a ford Taurus is a pretty good car and they seem to last pretty good, I have driven Ford for a long time and always had good luck with them. currently have a Ford truck with 80,000 miles on it and it uses no oil between changes. They are also easier to get parts for.

ride safe

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Most mid sized sedans are going to give good service if they have been taken care of. That is the big question. Although the price of gas sot up last fall here in the U.S. it has settled back down to the 2.20 to 2.50 per gallon range in most of the country. The gas mileage improvement in a 4cyl Taurus would br negligible vs the 6 cyl. I'd go with the 6.

Glenn

·
Registered
131 Posts
Be aware that taurus in Canada are noted to eat their transmissions every 120-160K,at least that's the norm here, in Ontario.. other than that they have proven to be pretty bullet proof.....for what is worth :roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I might be just a bit bias but.. The Mitsubishi Verada made right here in Adelaide was exported to the US for for over 10 years and badged "Diamante". OK so it was aimed at the luxury car market there but an older one would be affordable. They run forever and you can buy your parts here and send 'em over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Kind of reinforced my ideas, especially the Mrbishi Diamante. Might be a good excuse for a trip to the US. cheers Don

·
Registered
405 Posts
You didn't specify what year the van was. Dodge for years built a 225 CID slant 6 that would run to the moon and back. Perhaps dropping a new/rebuilt engine would be the cheapest and quickest fix. If possible, don't get a dealer to do it, independent garages are almost always cheaper and better, in my opinion. On the other hand, maybe you just better get over here and visit the young lady. Augusta Maine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loki I like the idea of coming over and that's Augusta Georgia. I drove that van (4 cyl) a 1000 miles or so when last there and thought it was about to haeomorage then. Still unsure about what to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw we had a Chrysler slant 6 and also a Hemi over here in a car called the Valiant and a sports model called the Charger, excellent motor.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One last bit of advice: many garqges/dealerships/repair shops look upon women bringing in a vehicle for major/minor repairs as 'victims' to be over-charged. Personal expeience with my daughter who got charged over $1,000 after getting a $500 estimate on engine work. Your going with her could be worth 1/2 your airline fare---something to think about, unless her husband can deal with the system. It's unfair, but it is what it is. Good Luck to all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.