FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. When you guys see a bike for sale, do you prefer to see lots of modifications, or prefer it in stock condition?

I see lots of bikes sold on this forum and there is always a list of accessories, windscreens being a popular one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends. If it is stuff I would buy anyways then it is great. If there is a lot of boy racer stuff on it, or they have cobbled 6000 lights onto it then not so much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Knowing what I know now, I'd prefer to see a bike with several add-ons already on it, because I know now that I would be wanting to add several of them myself. It's no secret that most, or at least many, people end up changing to a different windshield, a different seat, adding highway pegs, a different rear rack, added highway lighting, canyon cages or the like, just for starters. SO if I were shopping, I'd like to see those things already on a bike that I was interested in buying.
YMMV!

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the UK we are more conservative, fortunately I was able to buy my bike new, but if I was buying a second hand one it would need to be totally stock.. When I took my previous bike to trade in the dealer even turned his nose up at the Corbin seat and asked if I had the original. It is usually best to keep what you take off so that it is available to the next owner.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bolt on stuff like the seat, windshield, fall over protection is no problem. Where I get worried is electrical farkles, I've found most people have no idea how to install them and they are a blown fuse or electrical fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
the more farkles you get with the bike the better, most of the time the owner will include the OE parts as well, so even more "value added" to your purchase, a simple upgrades like windscreen, seat and crash bars can cost $2,000 or more

imho, most owners should take the time and remove the most expensive farkles and sell the bike OE , and then sell farkles separately, way more money can be recovered that way, yes it's more time and inconvenience, but "why give stuff away for free" ;)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I look at what they did, why they did it, and how well the install was done. If I see a butchered wiring harness I run away fast. If what was done is well done, then I appreciate saving the money. There is very little "value" to accessories, so the price doesn't go up and the savings in not having to buy them can go into the gas tank.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
443 Posts
Seats, exhaust, windshields are fine. If electrical add ons I tend to shy away. I don't hack up my own wiring harness and I sure don't want your hacked up harness.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
If you are shopping for a used bike, the list of farkles gives you an idea of what you might have to change (or it already has something I was going to out on anyway!) When I was looking for my bike, I was green to the FJR and shied away from all the changes. Now I would avoid the electrical mods beyond a GPS or a tender hookup, just because.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It depends if the seller is trying to get full retail add on to the price.
Take for example a seat. The bike needs a seat. I cant ride it without a seat. If the seller wants market retail for the bike and then wants to add full retail purchase price of the seat I wont take that deal.
I will give some add on price. Something close to 1/3 to 1/2 retail price for add ons. Nothing more

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see buying the bike if there is an aftermarket seat on it, but unless it is the exact seat I would put on it myself, I wouldn't pay him a penny more for it. I guess the deal-killer for me is aftermarket exhaust; if the seller doesn't have the original exhaust on the bike, I'll keep looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts