FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am an FJR newbie having just purchased an immaculate bone stock '03 w/ 15,000 mi.
Anyway I searched the site for the recomended order of upgrades and found none. I am thinking radar detector first, and then who knows.
Suggestions from the old timers would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe this should be a poll, or you could direct me to the right place.
Thanks,
Bruce
What's with the training wheels?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Farkling priorities depends on your riding style somewhat, starting with a radar detector does suggest a wise safeguard of cash flow, though not infallable. You might want to consider protecting your baby with a radiator guard, a fenda-extenda. Sliders, BikeJohnny sells the Moko's that avoid drilling the fairing or the R&G's that go thru the fairing, protects in the event of a drop or low speed slide. A Throttlelock is handy. Paint protection lots of options from clear Tankslapper to carbonfibre look MagKnight. The list just goes on and on.
Some cool applications/mods over at FJRtech.com too.
The key is just ride and see what you think. Have fun with it, and welcome to the fold Bruce.
John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Get a harness from fjrandy and some MagnumBlasters from hornsplusauto.com so you can be heard when not seen.

Frame sliders. Put them on when you get them, not right after you drop it for the first time!

Cromeit heat mod stuff (just in case!).

A mount (whatever looks best to you) for a GPS. It's really fun to go explore "unknown" roads then punch in "navigate home."

Have fun!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The frame sliders are a must I've lost count of the amount of times people have dropped it then ordered some (me included!)

Did I mention the sliders?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sliders. Definitely sliders.
Come spring there will likely be a series of threads of two flavors:
1. "I'm so glad I installed them" or
2.a. "Where do I order them? I wish I'd had them."
b. "I should have installed them; but it was such a nice day..."
Next on the list (in order)
Magnum Blaster horns
BackOff! brake light modulator
Heat sheilding over exhaust piping (where your heel leaves that lovely black mark)

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Sliders first. I tried to tell my future SonInLaw that when he got his Daytona 600. He'd nod his head and then rush to not do it. Dropped his bike right quickly after taking delivery. Suddenly sliders were important but the $2000 worth of plastic damage was already done (and he didn't like how much full coverage was going to cost so only had liability).

Bike Johnny is a great source for FJR stuff.

Next would depend on the rider. Get some miles on the bike and decide what YOU need first instead of what others think you ought to have.

One very useful mod for me was the ECM Shelf from http://www.fjrgoodies.com/topgun.cfm It's the foundation for your radar detector and other items.

Check out the mods at Bikes-N-Spikes for more ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
These are my priority:
1 - sliders (mine are from BikeJohnny, the ones you drill the fairing. Not that scary)
2 - Magnum Blaster Horns
3 - Sheepskin seat cover (Sheepy Hollow)
4 - Front Fender Extender
5 - Carbon Fibre tank protector set (Geelong Carbon Craft)
6 - Intercom. 80% of our riding is 2-up. Autocom.
7 - Played with taller screen, but shallower screen angle
8 - GPS
9 - Aftermarket rear shock (Wilbers)
10 - Aftermarket front springs (Wilbers)
11 - S/Steel Braided brake lines (keeping this bike for a long time)
12 - Coffee Cup Holder: http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/27/22618.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, no, no. That's all wrong. Here's the right priority:

1. Sliders
2. Radiator guard
3. Brake lines
4. Fork brace
5. Jastek power outlet
6. PCIII USB
7. Exhaust cans
8. Wilbers shock
9. Wilbers fork springs
10. Sheep skin seat pads

That's what I've done to my '05. I think I'm about finished with mods. I must be...my wife told me I was.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Aaah yes - the SuperBrace. Forgot that - it was around position 7 for me. And the power outlets came much later, at the end of the list. Still haven't used them (no need for heated anything here - just there to run the compressor if I get another puncture in the middle of nowhere).

In 4 years I haven't fitted a radiator guard, and rad does show some wear and tear. In our heat I was concerned with getting gunk caught between the guard and the rad, restricting airflow. The most damage it has suffered is from me flattening some fins with too high water pressure when cleaning - now that really does restrictd airflow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts