FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The weatherguessers are forecasting likely rain. Still on? Worse comes to worse, we can always sit around and eat BBQ and drink beer.

We will be going rain or shine. :)

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The weatherguessers are forecasting likely rain. Still on? Worse comes to worse, we can always sit around and eat BBQ and drink beer.

And change John C to "Definite". After all. I have gone farther for lunch. Made The Last Ride of the Year a few years back: just under 1500 miles round trip.
Yeah, I'm thinking the forecast would have to get much, much worse before we would contact everybody and postpone.

I'll post up a route as soon as I can, in case someone thinks we're nuts and wants to ride all the same places but at a slower pace. (If you want to ride at a faster pace, just save us a spot when you get there. :) )

Reactions: RaYzerman

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
IN !..... oh wait, I'm not. Have a blast guys!

·
Registered
33 Posts

And change John C to "Definite". After all. I have gone farther for lunch. Made The Last Ride of the Year a few years back: just under 1500 miles round trip.

Damn it! I stayed up till past midnight last night mounting a new set of Road 5s on the FJR for an early Wednesday morning departure. I hate to say it but I think I'm pulling out and considering hitting the SFO FJR get together in Jemison AL the end of the month.

I'm hoping the rain stays away and you guys get some great riding in. I sure was hoping to meet up and ride with you guys again. The last time I seen most of you was at Schmitties Hooterville or the time we all hopped in his white van to go eat sea food. I don't even remember where that was at.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I’m not deterred and am heading out tomorrow. Weather is fickle and we have pretty much had every spectrum of it over the years. Will be nice to see some friends and get a little saddle time in.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have a trip planned to head up to Ely, MN 10/3 to do some camping FJR style. That might be tough to also make it to AR for a ride but your plan sounds fun. I've never been in your area before on the bike. Looking forward to checking that out someday. Have a fun ride!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The last time I seen most of you was at Schmitties Hooterville or the time we all hopped in his white van to go eat sea food. I don't even remember where that was at.
I remember that!! I think it was even Smitty's van! That was the catfish place in Farmington, err Fredericktown MO. Here's a great idea; get a bunch of tanked old boys and throw them in the back of a cargo van. Haha!

Have a good ride.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I remember that!! I think it was even Smitty's van! That was the catfish place in Farmington, err Fredericktown MO. Here's a great idea; get a bunch of tanked old boys and throw them in the back of a cargo van. Haha!

Have a good ride.
And make sure the van has scrawled on its side "Hey Kids! Free Candy!" 🤡

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The .gpx file with the route is here:

You just download it and extract it like any .zip file - it's 367 miles if we do it all. I've pasted the whole text version below.

Now, like I said, (here it comes) I want everyone to go at their own pace. We NEVER want somebody to ride a pace they're not comfortable and safe with. This is a LOT of twisties for one day and some may think we ride a little too briskly. If you're with the group, we don't mind waiting at the next turn for a few minutes. If it's more than a few minutes, you may not be enjoying the pace and I'd encourage you to ride independently so you are having fun and being safe. We LIKE a lot of distance between bikes (like 50 yards or more) so it feels like we're all riding our own rides. If you're with the group but want to go slower in the corners, you may want to have someone behind you switch places with you. (You be the judge.) There is NO speed contest and I HATE when somebody shows up with a red face and white knuckles. That keeps me up at night worrying about you. I have lost friends and I don't want to lose any more. If you are into a speed contest, lets go to the racetrack and that's the right place to do it. But all this ALSO means that if you are with the group and stop to smell flowers, we'll be coming back for you and we may be a little miffed if you stopped to take pictures or something.

I ride a limited top speed at the front and rarely vary from that speed. You'll have plenty of time to speed up and slow down as desired. The biggest thing that breaks up the group is passing slow moving vehicles. There aren't that many but we pass pretty liberally and YOU are the authority of when and when not to pass. (I'm scared when people use hand signals telling other guys to pass over blind rises and stuff.) If it's a short way to town, there may be an RV in the middle of the group, which is why we always pass friendly and I even wave. We also usually keep the guy behind us in sight once in awhile. If you don't see a headlight back there on a long stretch, he may have a problem and I like to know about that as soon as possible. That's just worked best for us.

---------------------------------------------------------
Now here's the text of the route:

((All mileage is estimated from looking at the map. These are verbose, but I tried to be exact for people not familiar with the area.))

From the Brass Door
Left on 62 for about 1000 feet
Left on RedBud Road for about 200 feet
Left on Buford Cutoff for about 3 miles
Right on County 126 for about 1 mile
Left on County Road 57 for about 2 miles
Right on 201 for about 3 miles
Right on 341 (Push Mountain Road) until the end
Right on AR14 to Harriet
Left on 27 to Marshall (stay on 27)
AR27 many miles to the AR16 junction, stay on 27 (left)
AR27 to Hector
Right on 27 for about 3.5 miles
Right on 164 for about 1 mile
Left on Broomfield Road for about 5 miles
Cross AR7 becomes Booger Hollow Road (half mile)
Right (west) on 164 for about 6 miles
Left on 123 for about 1.5 miles
Right on 292 for about 2 miles
Left on 21 for about 2 miles
Right on US64 into downtown Clarksville
Right on AR103/College Avenue
STAY on 103 to Oark Café

--------Lunch if possible--------------

West to 215
Right on 215 for about 9 miles WATCH for UTVs
Right on AR23 for about 6 miles
Right on 16 for about 3.5 miles through St. Paul
Right on 16 to Fallsville
Right on AR21 towards Clarksville
2 miles before Clarksville Turn Left on 292 for about 2 miles
Left on 123 to AR7 (busy road) for about 3 miles
Right on 123 toward Mt. Judea (switchbacks Daddio)
Follow 123 to Western Grove
Right on US65 for almost 6 miles (traffic and enforcement)
Left on 235 follow to 14
Left on 14 to Yellville
Right on US412 for about 10 boring miles (traffic and enforcement heavy)

---------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great write up Liquidsilver. I love that kind of group ride and I'm regretting not pulling into Gassville right now after a great 850 mile day. Have fun this weekend. I'll be having just about as much fun changing oil and winterizing 16 training motorcycles and putting them away for the winter. :(

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300
198 Posts
Well I was going to try and slide into this years ride at the last minute if everything I had/have going on fell into place and it didn’t, so I won’t be attempting to keep up or wait on my buddy Derrick this year. You guys have a great ride and be safe.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I was going to try and slide into this years ride at the last minute if everything I had/have going on fell into place and it didn’t, so I won’t be attempting to keep up or wait on my buddy Derrick this year. You guys have a great ride and be safe.
Aw nutz, would have been nice to have Little Egypt representing. See you next ride!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys, I’m gonna bail on this ride. It’s been pouring all day in Memphis, and the forecast is for it to get worse tomorrow. Just not up for that. Hope the weather is good for you guys, and we’ll see ya next time. Ride safe.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
We did have a lot of spotty rain, but we had some nice dry time as well and it didn't dampen the fun. Those hills are really pretty in the mist. Nice to meet you, JohnC.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Back from 3 days of fun riding and friendship. It was good to meet JohnC and hope to see him on future rides. The rides down to Gassville and back are about 400 miles each way, got to do MO 19, AR 9 including from Melbourne to Sylamore and Push Mtn. Virtually no rain on Friday. Saturday was dodging in and out of rain and wet roads, only about a half hour of steady rain, the rest was mist...altered the riding a bit but not much. The highlight of Saturday (besides AR 123 and Push Mtn again) was having the honor of riding through "Booger Hollow AR", so awesome. Lunch at the Oark Cafe was as pleasant as I have ever had as there werent 200 bikes and ATVs there, rain held things down. All told 330 miles on Saturday. Thanks to LiquidSIlver for his help getting my 08 ready for the trip, I turned over 90k miles on this trip, and for leading the rides, always superb routing. And thanks to Boofer for making it all the way up from FLA for the meet. Will do it again in the spring, watch this space for important announcements re the spring ride. Here is a pic of me and Boofer after arrival at Oark:
Smile Plant Beard Sky Travel

21 - 35 of 35 Posts