FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is mad as a hornet at Yamaha for lieing to us for so long about the FJR's heat management problem? Ever since buying my '04, I have complained to Yamaha dealers and reps about the bike's excessive heat. Their response has ALWAYS been identical, just like they were all reading from the same sheet (as I'm sure they are): "Yamaha doesn't recognize a heat problem with the FJR." Yeah! Right! If that is true, then why is it that NOW they crow so much about the new model's "improved heat management?!!!" That is their primary marketing slogan for the new model, and it makes it obvious that their canned response to us pre-'06 owners has been is a bald-faced lie, pure and simple! So much for Yamaha's reputation for supposedly taking care of their customers. In my opinion, Yamaha should have a recall of every pre-'06 model, and provide a factory fix for the heat problem, because it is EXTREME! What do I mean by "extreme?" If I want, I should be able to ride my bike to, e.g., Utah in mid-July, without being concerned. But you'd have to be crazy to do that with the FJR. You'd be absolutely MISERABLE!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
cinderbob said:
In my opinion, Yamaha should have a recall of every pre-'06 model, and provide a factory fix for the heat problem, because it is EXTREME!
Thanks for your opinion Bob. I had an '03 and rode it whenever, wherever I wanted. Sorry you don't get along with yours. In my opinion, your recall idea is EXTREME. 8)

·
Registered
737 Posts
cinderbob said:
If I want, I should be able to ride my bike to, e.g., Utah in mid-July, without being concerned. But you'd have to be crazy to do that with the FJR. You'd be absolutely MISERABLE!
Give Yamaha credit for trying to make improvements 8) (we won't know how well they've done untill we ride the bike)
Why don't you try an ST1300 on a hot day in Utah. :wink:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Utah?!?!

Try the Louisiana Bayou in August on ANYTHING without A/C!

If you don't like the heat, fix it.

:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok,
As an experienced and somewhat innovative aircondition engineer, I start to smell a market for a new product here. :idea:

I bet I can get a feed for small compressor, maybe a belt drive from the engine.

A couple of small vents directing the cold airflow on to the rider.
:?:
Hmm, in order to keep the heat loads down I better add some sort of enclosure. Lets make it a cage like thingie with glass windows to keep most of the heat out.

:?: :?:
Hmmmmm, that's going to be heavy to balance at slow speeds......
Better add some additional wheels as well.

:eek: :shock: :x

What!!
Someone already invented it :evil:
Apparently it is called "automobile"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
come and ride in UK, no problem here, I think your just spoilt with all that sunshine. 8)

Teejay

·
Super Moderator
3,948 Posts
Been through UT when the official temp was 110 (and the temp down on the pavement was closer to 120). Was wearing full gear (Kilimanjaro 1 jacket and Hypertex 1 pant - without a removeble insulated lining). Stay hydrated.

The bike doesn't overheat since the temperature gauge has stayed within normal operating ranges since I took delivery in 10/2002.

Heat is a perception from one rider to the next. Adapt and overcome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cinderbob, when I bought my bike in south Florida last Aug and rode it home I thought it was a little hot on the family jewels, I have since added
a Corbin saddle and it sure has made a difference, don't seem to have a problem now. love the bile don't want anything else. :D

Texas FJR1300 Welcome to the thread :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cycleworld magazine (I think that was the one) just had a review on several sport tourers. The ST1300 cooked whole legs. The others roasted, variously, shins, calves and thighs. The FJR had the least heat problem of those tested.

I've only noticed the heat in bumper to bumper traffic in temperatures above 95 F. Even then, it wasn't problematic to me. Of course I always wear protective pants.

I LOVE the heat when I am riding in the Rocky Mountains in the Fall or Spring.

Ron

·
Registered
191 Posts
Worst heat I suffered was on a 90 deg plus day and I let the tank go 20 or so miles into reserve. The inside of my thighs gots burned (not seriously) and were red for days. No, I don't have pictures to share, sicko! :lol: When it's hot, keep some cooling fuel in the tank!
I also have the Cromeit heat fix and some insulating bubble wrap between the tank & engine to help with the heat.

I think the horn is too weak, and replaced mine with Magnum Blasters. Should Yamaha recall all bikes for louder horns? :?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Methinks I smell a

The most effective factory-recall solution to someones perceived heat issue would probably to remove the motor and give them a 250cc twin and 28hp.

Otherwise they could just wear reasonable gear, and not snuggle up to the tank so closely.

In 4 years I have only noticed excessive heat on a handful of occassions, when the ambient temp was in the high 30's (around 100F) and in stop-go situations.

Remember too that my SheepyHollow sheepskin seat cover does seem to help minimise the perceived heat from the tank.

·
Registered
127 Posts
david1300 said:
Methinks I smell a

The most effective factory-recall solution to someones perceived heat issue would probably to remove the motor and give them a 250cc twin and 28hp.

Otherwise they could just wear reasonable gear, and not snuggle up to the tank so closely.

In 4 years I have only noticed excessive heat on a handful of occassions, when the ambient temp was in the high 30's (around 100F) and in stop-go situations.

Remember too that my SheepyHollow sheepskin seat cover does seem to help minimise the perceived heat from the tank.
Wish that would work. It is 100% airflow management. OK 2 500 lb bikes, same frontal area. Both doing 70 mph one with smaller 2 cyl engine and one with larger 4 cyl engine. Only difference is more friction in the larger engine, assuming that the rolling resistance is the same. Both bikes require same amount of energy to go the same speed give or take right? Therefore heat generated is the same.
One bakes the hell out of you and the other you are cool as a cucumber.
FJR vs Suzuki Burgman 650. The Suzook wins hands down. Never felt any heat from that bike even in 110 degree TX summers.
Like I said air flow management and Yamaha has denied it as have the dealers up until the 06 (maybe).
PS I still ride the FJR because I am just like all the studs out there that don't mind having their balls baked and deny it even if they are as well done as horse chestnuts on a fire at Christmas.!

·
Registered
4 Posts
what heat ? Ive got an 03 and an 05 FJR with a total of over 85,000 miles, live in california and have ridden thousands of miles in 90 & 100 deg + weather, FJR's are no hotter than my ST1100 or any of the dozen or so other bikes ive had over the years. maybe a scooter would work out better for you ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any piece of the anatomy that gets close to a combustion engine is going to get a 'little warm'. Try straddling a car motor after if gets hot, bet you can't. The motor on the FJR that we rap out legs and criutch around is one big mother of a bike motor.
We in NSW, Australia have been riding in 35-45 C temperatures for the past 5 or 6 weeks, yes the legs get a little warm around the calfs when the bike stops in traffic. However, my experience has shown that wearing the proper protective clothing tends to stop most of the heat effect on the legs and as David 1300 stated, a good quality lambswool seat cover works wonders for the 'jewellery'.
Other than that, this is a topic that was discussed in great detail some years ago and there were several fixes that inventive members of our web site came up with to resolve this perceived problem. Try getting hold of one of those fixes and doing the necessary modifications and see if that makes you any happier.

·
Registered
372 Posts
cinderbob, how did you ever come up with a handle like that? Have you tried any of the well established fixes? Sorry yours is so hot, mine and a lot of others are not. Do you wear ATGATT? And personal ventilation, that is where the sheepskin comes in nicely when it is hot outside.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmmmmmm. a heat complaint from a user named 'cinderbob'.

Wait! What was that noise? (fishing line releasing) wiiiizzz PLOINK!

Oh yeah. He's looking' for the big one alright. :roll:

I remember one time at the doctor I said..."Doc, it hurts when I do this." He said.."don't do that." :p

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
triple t,
Not exactly comparing like with like are you there?
The Burgman has its engine below and behind the rider, so of course the hot air from the engine compartment isn't going to be bathing your legs in mormal riding conditions. Precious little airflow management needed there.

Given the FJRs power output, combined with lean burning and the catalysts I think they have done a reasonable job with the FJR, whatever year you look at.

You look at any comparable bike to the FJR (large capacity, high power output, towards the sporty end of the spectrum) and there will be someone who complains about heat problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
bermshot said:
what heat ? Ive got an 03 and an 05 FJR with a total of over 85,000 miles, live in california and have ridden thousands of miles in 90 & 100 deg + weather, FJR's are no hotter than my ST1100 or any of the dozen or so other bikes ive had over the years. maybe a scooter would work out better for you ?
If it was turboed, had 17 inch wheels etc. maybe. In the meantime I should have my AE in May. The 05 will be gone to anyone who can take the heat.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts