FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't like anything blocking any of my vision on the windshield. I have an Oklahoma pike pass and keep it in my tank bag. Others velcroe theirs to the inside of a saddle bag or top case. The passes given to motorcycles are not the glue on type of passes used by cars. Not sure if the EZ Pass is a glue on or like our hard case ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine is hard plastic about the size of a pack of smokes. It's under the seat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I keep mine in my tank bag (which has a clear plastic top section to stuff it into). That way I know it will register.

The problem with some of them (VA EZPASS for example) - is they can have velcro - which wears out after awhile, or other mounting methods can come undone after placing/replacing over and over. You don't really want to leave it on the bike. I had one drop off at a light upon launch (was velcro), and it immediately broke inside (I stopped and retrieved it). They of course charged me for it, sigh.... Since then I keep it in line of sight of the toll responders, no matter the vehicle (I dont think it will work if it is inside a bag or under a seat). YMMV......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Or you can stick it to the underside of the glove box.
John
Any issues with the fast lane readers having it there?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or you can stick it to the underside of the glove box.
I'm not sure it will fit, but I drop my Zumo GPS in there when parking and it barely fits with just the registration and insurance paper.

I was very surprised at how big the motorcycle TX Tag gizmo is compared to the small windshield sticker they gave me for the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
I was very surprised at how big the motorcycle TX Tag gizmo is compared to the small windshield sticker they gave me for the truck.
I meant the sticky label type, not the ones that come in a plastic box. Mine is also one of those plastic boxy things. I made a mistake when I ordered mine. I ordered the first one for the bike, then later a couple for our cars. I had intended to wear it on a lanyard around my neck when I needed it.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,911 Posts
So, depending on what you accessories you have on your bike and how often you'll need the EZ Pass, what's the possibility of adding a Ram ball & mount plate and just sticking it on there? Easily removable when not needed, no worries about being read, etc.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I've been told that if doesn't get picked up by the sensor, that when they look up your license plate and find a device registered to that plate, that they just bill you the regular amount. The people saying that say they don't even carry it with them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have an EZ Pass. Mostly use it in WV where the readers are crappy. You have to slow down to 6 MPH and to get it to read I have to hold it in my left hand over my head. After it reads I put it back on a velcro pad to the top surface of my V1 radar detector. It won't work mounted near any metal on the bike or in the tank bag.

OTOH, in IL it seems to work fine at 70mph sitting on top of the V1. WV is a PIA for EZ Pass.

Norm Kern

·
Registered
430 Posts
My TX toll tag works fine inside the tankbag.

I have seen riders stick a glass mounted, sticker type on the inside of a windshield down low.
So far, the only place/system that uses RFID tags is Florida's Sun Pass. At least on the east coast, the remaining EZPass systems use the same pass which is an active transponder. There may be a similar RFID tag coming, but Google didn't give a clear answer and at least PennDOT isn't very helpful. License plate readers are supposed to be coming on-line. That's probably OK for metro areas, but places like the US301 Potomac River bridge may ...uh... lag behind the 21st century.

FWIW, there's an EZPass transponder just above a Sun Pass RFID on the windshield of our '90 VW Westy. That hasn't been a problem - they don't get in each other's way.

I've had very good success with an EZPass transponder in my tank bag. Mine's currently in a leg pocket in my Aerostich suit. So far, I haven't received a "pay up, motorcycle scum!" notice. So far...

In any case, a spiffy new Eclipse tank bag, with EZPass transponder, will be sitting my gas tank shortly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts