FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kidding but I can already see one thing that's gonna be a pain in tha butt? Touring on a bike that eats tires.

There is no way that I could do something like I did last summer on my Venture and one set of tires... "Ride to South Dakota from NY, then down to Louisiana, and over to Texas, NM and Colorado. Then, back Louisiana and on to NY on one set of tires".

This is also gonna be the first time that I have owned a bike that I had to worry about someone trying to steal. Shucks, I could leave the keys in my Venture and Royal Star and not even worry about anyone wanting them.

Eye sure hope that Colbalt Blue 06 is worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
One thing I miss about my HD, cheap on tires, ie 300.00 cdn for a *set* of decent Avon Venom X tires that would last 20KK. One RR tire for my ST, 350.00 cdn that will last 6KK. Harley's have *are* better, (in some regards) :wink: Congrats on the '06. I'm sure you will feel that not only was it "worth it", but it was a bargin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Apples and oranges boys and girls.

Put those same Avon Venom's on the FJR and then ride it like you would the Venture or most Harleys and you'd get the same 20K mileage. If that's why you bought the FJR, good for you. The rest of us will wait for you to catch up at the next stop we make to replace our tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gonna do a ride from Rochester, NY down to Louisiana after break-in. And, will replace the factory tires with something in the long range catagory.

My biggest problem will be my next door neighbor and I can hear her now...."Daniels, are you out of your mind, you ain't got no business on that thang".

My long range trips will always be under 8,000 miles so eye only need a tire that will last that long; However, I don't have a problem with stopping at a Yamaha dealer for replacement while on tha road.

Like Rick Flair says "Whoooooooool".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I have a harley low rider luckly to get 10,000 on a set of avons. But i gess it's all the way a person rides. Don't know what i will get on my new fjr but i don,t think it will be 10,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I mixed-up my kilometers and miles in my post. The 20KK meant 12,000 miles, and the 6KK meant 6 thousand miles, or put another way, half the mileage at twice the cost between Z rated tires mounted on an ST and H rated tires mounted on a cruiser/standard. YMMV, (literally :lol: ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I have a HD wide glide. Came with a new Bridgestone rear from the dealer when I bought it. Given my low mileage on it as it's mainly a round town and down the beach bike (it's in Spain), it may outlast the bike.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,944 Posts
LSUBOY said:
Just kidding but I can already see one thing that's gonna be a pain in tha butt? Touring on a bike that eats tires.

There is no way that I could do something like I did last summer on my Venture and one set of tires... "Ride to South Dakota from NY, then down to Louisiana, and over to Texas, NM and Colorado. Then, back Louisiana and on to NY on one set of tires".
Starting with a new set of Mich Pilot Roads, I went from Missoula, MT to Primm, NV, to Lake City, FL and then swapped tires (just to be safe as the rear still looked good). I then went from Lack City, FL to Buxton, ME and then back to Missoula, MT and continued to use those same tires for many more miles when I got home.

And that was not taking the most direct route to each turn, loaded up heavily, and running at a "brisk" pace most of the time. If you maintain proper pressure on after market tires (check sidewall cold pressures, but 41f/41r or is about right for the PR and 41f/43r is about right for the ST45/46) you can get 10k miles on the rear of both if that's your goal. Right wrist management is critical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Using all the tire for max life

One sure way to maximize the distance you can get out of your tires is to ride more twisties rather than the slab. That way you use all of the tire tread out to the edges 8)

The "chicken strips" on my rear tire are only as wide as the distance between the end of the tread and the edge of the shoulder (~1/4").
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharkey said:
Apples and oranges boys and girls.

Put those same Avon Venom's on the FJR and then ride it like you would the Venture or most Harleys and you'd get the same 20K mileage. If that's why you bought the FJR, good for you. The rest of us will wait for you to catch up at the next stop we make to replace our tires.
And, the young bull said to the old bull, let's run down over there where those lady cows are and get one....To which the old bull said nah, let's walk down there and get them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Got 5 to 6 thou out of rear BT 020s. Trying Avon ST45 and 46. Slabbed it back from CA to TX impressed by how little center wear there was on the rear after 2000 miles. Grip good and front does not track down cracks or seams. No cupping on front unlike the BT 020.
Bike feels different with the Avons. You get used to it after a while!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
It definately depends on riding style/loads etc etc. I got 15k miles out of the OEM MeZ4's - and now have well over 6k miles on the Road Pilots and they still look pretty good - I hope to get 20k out of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
tommd said:
It definately depends on riding style/loads etc etc. I got 15k miles out of the OEM MeZ4's - and now have well over 6k miles on the Road Pilots and they still look pretty good - I hope to get 20k out of them.
Are you riding an FJR ????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I'm over 6K on my Pilot Roads and not even 1/2 worn out. While I'm not the most aggressive rider, I do enjoy a brisk ride on a twisty road. I have learned to "roll" on the right-hand turny thing rather than twisting it to "full lock :roll: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I am adding a 2006 FJR-A to my stable this spring. :D
but tires I am not going to worry about, I have a Suzuki TLR that eats them up pretty quick and I am sure tires will last longer on the FJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Thanks for the invite. I tend to be somewhat agressive on my TLR, but my new FJR will be predominantly my long distance bike and I am keeping my TLR for my short distance corner blaster. I am sure I will have fun the the FJR as well though. I can't wait until I get it and go for some long rides. When the tires wear out it just time for another set. Life is good. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Rivgar said:
Thanks for the invite. I tend to be somewhat agressive on my TLR, but my new FJR will be predominantly my long distance bike and I am keeping my TLR for my short distance corner blaster. I am sure I will have fun the the FJR as well though. I can't wait until I get it and go for some long rides. When the tires wear out it just time for another set. Life is good. :D
Avon ST 45 and 46. They do last lots longer, make the bike handle differently but you get used to them,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
OE tires on an 05 got me coast to coast on the slab and about 3K on local twisties for a grand total of 9K before replacement. While slab time was fairly quick with a load, and I am a right hand roller rather than a jammer, the bike eats tires, cause sometimes THE TORQUE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIST! :twisted:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top