FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you folks that tour on your scoots, has anyone found any eye drops that help keep your eyes moist and stop the sting of dry eyes? I have a case of Bells Palsy and I need to keep my eyes from drying out. Maybe I need to try some goggles or glasses to block off the wind? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. JD

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR1300 A
159 Posts
My ophthalmologist has me use Systane Ultra (NOT THE GEL) 4x daily. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. When I’m riding I drop at every stop. I don’t stop, drop and roll tho.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Are you riding with your visor down? If not are you at least wearing glasses? If no to either of those questions, you should start.

I remember seeing a video of a grain of sand piercing an eye ball at 70 MPH. You wanna take that risk?

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
Heck ya'll, we don't even know if the OP even wears a helmet.....

Reactions: EricV

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For all you folks that tour on your scoots, has anyone found any eye drops that help keep your eyes moist and stop the sting of dry eyes? I have a case of Bells Palsy and I need to keep my eyes from drying out. Maybe I need to try some goggles or glasses to block off the wind? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. JD
PS. use a Bell mag 9 helmet with all shields down Scotty along with glasses. Bells Palsy is what is causing the problem and I need something to get me through it. I can't blink my eye on the left side and it is drying out and causing me problems, and it is no fun. I'd rather have fire ant bites on my balls and ticks on my testicles if you get my drift. I might try the unions but not on my balls. HTH JD

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
PS. use a Bell mag 9 helmet with all shields down Scotty along with glasses. Bells Palsy is what is causing the problem and I need something to get me through it. I can't blink my eye on the left side and it is drying out and causing me problems, and it is no fun. I'd rather have fire ant bites on my balls and ticks on my testicles if you get my drift. I might try the unions but not on my balls. HTH JD
Honestly - get yourself a full face helmet. The shield on that thing doesn't do anything to keep the wind from coming up under it.
Sports gear Luggage and bags Grey Bag Headgear

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
@Pieyed

I use these eye drops that have some homeopathic ingredients, these are for "Computer Eye Relief" (since I spend 10 hours a day staring at multiple
computer screens):

Of course, the best way to keep your eyes lubricated is to make sure you are drinking the recommended glasses of WATER each day.

Lubricate from the inside out.

Speaking of that, it's time to down another glass of H20! ;)

Reactions: Whoops and EricV

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
based on his avatar it seems he wears a "Dog water dish and sunglasses" :D
View attachment 85476
@Pieyed

I use these eye drops that have some homeopathic ingredients, these are for "Computer Eye Relief" (since I spend 10 hours a day staring at multiple
computer screens):

Of course, the best way to keep your eyes lubricated is to make sure you are drinking the recommended glasses of WATER each day.

Lubricate from the inside out.

Speaking of that, it's time to down another glass of H20! ;)
Thanks, JD

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
I don’t think a helmet is his solution. I wear contacts and even the wind coming through an open mouth vent on my full face will start to dry them out. Sometimes causes burning for me when the wind stops. It used to be bad for me when I bicycled a lot. After a few hours of wind (with sunglasses on) when I stopped my eyes would light on fire. That’s just from contact lenses, no medical condition.

@Pieyed I think goggles are your best bet.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rub your helmet visor with onion :cry:😭:LOL: jk,jk

a pair of these will work
View attachment 85475
Thank you, I have two pairs coming, if that doesn't work I will try your Unions, Now that is funny I like humor.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES/2022 FJR1300ES
3,432 Posts
I don’t have dryness problems when wearing a proper helmet. But for really long days, like 1,000 mile plus days, I carry systane PF.
I used systane ultra before I had lasik. Having switched to the PF for my brief recovery post lasik, I never switched back to the ultra.

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t have dryness problems when wearing a proper helmet. But I’m really long days, like 1,000 mile plus days, I carry systane PF.
I used systane ultra before I had lasik. Having switched to the PF for my brief recovery post lasik, I never switched back to the ultra.
co
Are the drops you are using Systane Complete PF?

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Honestly - get yourself a full face helmet. The shield on that thing doesn't do anything to keep the wind from coming up under it.
View attachment 85477
Yes, indeed. In addition to the airflow, eye problem, that helmet provides almost no protection to the lower front of your face (the most likely points of impact if you go down).

Yes, yes, I know. No one plans on crashing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just google some videos of what happens in an accident without a full face helmet. It is gruesome. I honestly can’t imagine why anyone would want to risk a feeding tube for the rest of their life.

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just google some videos of what happens in an accident without a full face helmet. It is gruesome. I honestly can’t imagine why anyone would want to risk a feeding tube for the rest of their life.
Now you guys are scared me, I might have to rethink it. Thanks for all your HELP FOLKS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts