FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning last late last year while trying to decide between the MV Motorrad and the HeliBar Bridge risers for my 2007 GENII, I contacted Heli customer support and started a dialog about the possibility of them offering an extended length replacement brake line as I'm not fond of the aesthetics of the extension line they provide. At one point Heli entertained the idea and went so far as to have their supplier (Galfer) make a prototype. Then, despite many attempts on my part to get status, they went quiet asdid Galfer who I also contacted.

Finally in early September, Heli replied to my latest inquiry stating "...we decided not go forward with offering the full brake line replacement to be used with the FJR1300 HeliBar bridge at this time. The amount of labor involved to access the line in order to change it, and the need to bleed the whole braking system, as well as the cost of the line itself, would make this a cost-prohibitive installation for our customers." I was unable to convince them otherwise.

That weekend I sent an email to HEL Performance USA as I noted that they, like Galfer, sold a complete 11 line replacement for the GEN II FJR1300 brake system. I asked if they could supply an extended length replacement for just the line from the front master cylinder. I shared my experience with Heli and Galfer (as explained above). I further suggested that there might be interest with members on this forum as well as the other fjr forum. The very next Monday I received an email reply from Jim Miller of HEL Performance USA stating that he could work with me if I provided him some measurements and pictures and if I would act as a tester for him. I of course agreed! I immediately put in my order for the Heli Bridge riser with RevZilla. I received both my first prototype extended brake line from Jim and the Heli Bridge from Revzilla by Friday of that week.

Removal of the OEM line and installation of the new extended line was not too difficult. The block end connection required a bit of finesse. PB Blaster penetrating oil and a flare nut wrench did the trick on removing the very tight OEM line. I only needed to remove the battery cover (Panel "A") for some wrenching room, but no other panels needed to be removed. The install obviously requires bleeding the front brakes but not the additional fitting on the front right side caliper that is actuated by the rear brake. I did this three times as I tested two prototypes in addition to the final line now installed. Speed bleeders made my job much easier.

Now, after three iterations, I can report that a +3 inch replacement of the OEM front brake line is available from HEL Performance USA. Jim Miller can provide one just like mine(see photos below). He will waive the normal $10 customization fee for forum members bringing the price for forum members to $49. Note that the brake line that I have has a protective covering (actually it's shrink tubing) so it looks very much like the OEM line. Make sure you ask for it.

If interested, contact Jim directly to order. Make sure you mention that you're a forum member.
His contact information is:
Jim Miller, Lead Brake Tech
HEL Performance USA
d.b.a. moto-heaven
Direct cell number: 814-321-4112
Office number toll free: 877-416-0969 FREE
email: [email protected]

NOTE:
It appears this extended line will work on GEN III's as well a GENII's. I checked Partzilla (FRONT MASTER CYLINDER Diagram) and at the block end of the brake line both my 2007 GENII and a 2013 GENIII use the same P/N's for "holder"(the retainer bracket) and bolts.

2013 & 2007 item and part numbers(identical)
=====================================
BOLT
90110-06149-00

HOLDER, BRAKE HOSE
3P6-25875-10-00

BOLT, BUTTON HEAD
92012-06010-00

Below are photos of my install.

Brake lines: OEM (bottom), HEL +3in. line(top)

Banjo end comparison: OEM(left), HEL(right)

Block end: OEM(bottom), HEL(top). Note that HEL block ships unpainted.

Riders POV

Handlebars straight

Handlebars positioned full left

Block end installed (HEL ships with block unpainted, I painted mine)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Excellent Work! I just installed the MV-Motorrad riser and it is bugging me that the brake line is so tight. I am trying to order one. I was hesitant to do the install of the riser due to this problem, but went ahead anyway and decided to deal with it. Now there is a solution. Thanks Tons!

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
I want one too...... I sent an email back in January, did not get a reply. If I try to order/build my own on line, not sure I'm getting the block for the lower end..... now that you've woke me up, I guess I should just call.....

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Good job, now I can get rid of that unsightly add-on that comes with the Heli setup. Thanks for doing this, and sharing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Richsp51, what you have just posted is a very good piece of info, I really have some concerns about how tight the OEM line is stretched when a riser plate such as MV is installed.
Although no plans to change this out as a specific job item, I will order one and have it on hand for when I have to go into this area again for some reason or another.
Your perseverance has paid off, now we all benefit. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Two things:
1. I have an MCL riser plate. Considering the rise and pull back, I should need a 2" longer brake hose, but it looks like the stock one is loose enough.
2. No one seems to worry about the length of the clutch hose.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
I have the Heli and you simply undo the keeper for the clutch hose........ it is OK but too tight in my opinion, I'm going to put a stainless line on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Everything gets stretched, but livable. My concern, from what I could see when checking my riser installation (MV Motorrad), is that the brake pressure line from the m.c. gets kinked right at the manifold block fastened on the right side of the steering head when the front fork is turned to right lock. Kink is perhaps not the right word, as it is hard to kink a brake pressure hose, but the repeated sharp bend right at the fitting will over time compromise the integrity of that hose. Better safe than sorry. The upgrade that Rich has initiated will go a long way to appeasing any concerns one might have regarding failure of that hose over time. Excellent update.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My brake line also kinks with hard turns (turning bike around in garage or moving around parking spots). Called Jim today and ordered. Line should be here by the weekend. Can't wait!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Should have gone with the Helibar risers,
just installed on my 2016 and brake hose extension included in kit. Plus Helibar raises bars 1" and back up to 2 &1/2 inches. A bit better than the Motorand that I put on my 2013.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
One thing i’ll Add is that it was mentioned that pb blaster was used to loosen the fasteners, pb blaster is a mineral based oil and any residue from it will ruin your brake fluid seals so make absolutely sure that you get it clean from the pb blaster before you reinstall things. Do not reuse any seals contacted by the pb blaster.

I’m not saying you can’t use the pb blaster, just saying a good cleaning of all hard surfaces with some rubbing alcohol before you put it back together, your brake fluid seals will thank you for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if anyone has ordered a +3" brake line lately. It appears HEL performance has permanently closed. Anybody ordered a +3" brake line elsewhere?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not sure if anyone has ordered a +3" brake line lately. It appears HEL performance has permanently closed. Anybody ordered a +3" brake line elsewhere?
Contact PJ at www.pjschurchofspeed.com. I have purchased custom extended length Fren Tubo lines from him for a couple of my bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contact PJ at www.pjschurchofspeed.com. I have purchased custom extended length Fren Tubo lines from him for a couple of my bikes.
Thanks for the tip. I spoke to PJ and he looked up Fren Tubo brake lines and they do not sell them for the Yamaha. He suggested I look at HEL Performance and I called a local distributer, Neuspeed. I sent them the photos of the brake line connection and they said they could not get the block end. I am trying a local place "Coast Clutch and Brake" who stated they could make a brake line while I wait but I sent them the photos of the connectors and waiting to hear back about that. I may be stuck with the Heli kit brake line adapter which is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Interesting. They sell them for an fz1, odd they don't do the fjr.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts