FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not really but it was my feeble attempt at being cool with words.

Looking for feedback on aftermarket exhaust. I plan to equip my 06 with most of my wish list before delivery. I have always had aftermarket exhaust on all my previous bikes. I have always liked the sound but I am not a raspy type guy. I like more deep mellow tones (both my last two motorcycles have been V-4's). Anyway, 2 questions.

1. What's to be said about increasing fatigue with aftermarket exhaust as apposed to turbine like quiet sound the FJR has stock., and.

2. Which one? I like the look of Staintune (beautiful without the can strap), or Dale Walker (much, much cheaper) which are all slip-on's. Or, is there a full system in existence or in work?? Maybe no market in the sport-touring class?? I don't know.

Bryon
06 on order
97 V-max

·
Registered
372 Posts
I guess it depends on how you intend to ride. I do a lot of long days in the spring summer and fall, and the additional fatigue factor from more noise is not welcomed. I like the stealth factor of the stock setup, and that turbine whine. I do a fair bit of Moto marshalling where the additional noise would not be welcomed. I know a few guys going for the aftermarket cans, but just can't see the point. This bike may change the way you ride, why not see how it flys then decide. I had my farkle bag pretty full by the time my bike arrived, and the first install was...... the R&G sliders.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rocketdoc said:
This bike may change the way you ride, why not see how it flys then decide.
Good point. That is definitely something that I will consider. Never bought sliders before either. Always wondered if they would really work in anything other than a tip over.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Uh... they work. I've tested them.

Search the old board for oodles of stories.

They don't eliminate damage completely, but they might go a long way toward riding home, instead of being towed home.

Pipes are totally subjective... a totally different response from anyone you ask. I was very satisfied with Holeshots, and I liked their deep tone, without excessive loudness. I always wear earplugs to protect against wind noise, and I like to hear the engine over the wind. The Holeshots met that standard, perfectly.

Performance gains are little, if any.

Full systems are a sore subject, we've been trying to talk somebody into bending some for us, to no avail.

:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why buy R&G sliders when you can get factory sliders for the 2006 that don't require any drilling of the bodywork?
Twister

________
Cheap Vaporizers

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
gr8eyes said:
"They don't eliminate damage completely". I'll vouch for that. I've got some pics that John could post for me if anyone is interested. :lol:

Glenn
Correct, this one wasn't riding home. Glad Gr8eyes made it through with only a few reconstructive surgeries...

The Lord is Good...

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
That'll buff right out. Right?

I have D&D cans on my 2003(US). There was some fiddling to get them lined up where they looked even with the bags on. Spot on without the bags (as measured from the ground up).

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/cans/cans.html

No additional fatigue for me since I use ear plugs when riding no matter for how long. I can assure you that failure to wear hearing protection will lead to tinnitus eventually no matter what mufflers you have mounted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
bounce said:
That'll buff right out. Right?

I have D&D cans on my 2003(US). There was some fiddling to get them lined up where they looked even with the bags on. Spot on without the bags (as measured from the ground up).

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/cans/cans.html

No additional fatigue for me since I use ear plugs when riding no matter for how long. I can assure you that failure to wear hearing protection will lead to tinnitus eventually no matter what mufflers you have mounted.
+1 No ear plugs though, I love to listen. Best bang for the buck, half the price of that expensive spread.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
bounce said:
I can assure you that failure to wear hearing protection will lead to tinnitus eventually no matter what mufflers you have mounted.
+1 :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even the stock cans sound pretty good at full throttle. I agree with the others that sliders are a must. Even a tip over can leave some pretty good scratches.

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
radman said:
No ear plugs though, I love to listen.
Kiss your love goodby then. It's only a matter of time before even the simple task of understanding someone talking to you will be next to impossible when in a room with background noise. Understanding the dialog in a movie will be hard enough that your SO will get tired of you continually asking her "wha'day say?" Your adult children will still get a kick out you repeating what you thought they said because even you are tired of asking people to repeat themselves and not to talk so quickly.

DAMHIK IJK OK - and this all began before I reached 40... it's only gotten worse. But at least using ear plugs (even when mowing the lawn) has dramatically slowed the progress. If I'd used ear plugs sooner it'd probably not be as bad or have happened as quickly. :cry:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hearing thing is real. I have been in aircraft maintenance for 15 years. I have seen people who have lost their positions due to hearing loss on the flight line. We get tested every year in the Air Froce. If hearing loss is evident they will flat take you off the job. I use plugs regularly and have yet to show any hearing loss to date (knock on wood). I also ride with plugs in. Mostly on the longer trips. They do work.

But I still like to hear the exhuast.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm in construction and twenty years ago hearing protection wasn't a particular issue. If your ears were ringing a bit after doing something then that was par for the course.
Bounce is right, although I can still hear everything now, picking out conversations from the background noise has become more and more difficult, and you don't realise how useful the subtitles on the TV are.

You only get one set of ears, and when your hearing is damaged, its damaged for ever, and it is cumulative. :cry:
I never ride the bike without ear plugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
bounce said:
radman said:
No ear plugs though, I love to listen.
Kiss your love goodby then. It's only a matter of time before even the simple task of understanding someone talking to you will be next to impossible when in a room with background noise. Understanding the dialog in a movie will be hard enough that your SO will get tired of you continually asking her "wha'day say?" Your adult children will still get a kick out you repeating what you thought they said because even you are tired of asking people to repeat themselves and not to talk so quickly.

DAMHIK IJK OK - and this all began before I reached 40... it's only gotten worse. But at least using ear plugs (even when mowing the lawn) has dramatically slowed the progress. If I'd used ear plugs sooner it'd probably not be as bad or have happened as quickly. :cry:
I am now 53. Have survived Zep, Blk Sabbath, and MC5 concerts with hearing still extraordinary, as in hearing things folks half my age strain to recognize (this includes quiet passages from Classical Music, my fave for years)

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
radman said:
I am now 53. Have survived Zep, Blk Sabbath, and MC5 concerts with hearing still extraordinary, as in hearing things folks half my age strain to recognize (this includes quiet passages from Classical Music, my fave for years)
Er... what are you talking about Rad? We were talking about ear rings not hearing. With Xmas fast approaching someone was shopping for presents. When was the last time you changed the batteries in your hearing aids? :lol:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
FWIW - I used to hate wearing earplugs, because I thought they were uncomfortable... but I was troubled at the ear-ringing at the end of long rides, so I forced myself to wear them on every ride. Sometimes I was frustrated because I couldn't seem to get them fitted properly in my ears each time, but with practice... I install them without thinking about it.

It didn't take very long before I was addicted to wearing earplugs. Now I don't like to ride without them. Now with earplugs, I feel like I can hear the motor better, without the drone of the wind. I wear them at the track and on every ride longer than 5 minutes on the road. Now the bike doesn't sound right unless I'm wearing them.

I find the Howard Leight Max earplugs to be the most comfortable and effective for me. I bought a box of 100 pairs for about 25 bucks... and I've had that same box for years... as I reuse them for a long time. (A little shampoo suds in the ears at shower-time keeps the ears from being waxy, so the earplugs don't get yucky. ;) )

Since, I've seen publishing from audiologists that say, even a VERY loud motorcycle exhaust is less damaging to hearing than wind noise. Much of the sound pressure from wind noise is in the inaudible range, so even if it's not painfully loud, it IS damaging your hearing as much as dangerously painful sound.

It's kinda like everything else in motorcycling, no? When I started riding on the street, I rode in jeans, tennis shoes and a long sleeve jacket, thinking I was covered because I always wore a helmet... and I thought good, safe riding gear was too bulky and uncomfortable. Then after seeing guys get hurt, and so forth... you make the determination to wear the gear every time, no matter what, and before you know it... you don't want to ride without it.

Kinda like life, too... right? Stop playing with yourself, giving up heroin, brushing teeth, showing up for work on time... uh nevermind... :roll: :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts