FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 2008 up for sale. Owner stated maintenance completed as called for. Anything special about the Gen II's to ask about? I have sat on a 2013 but never rode a FJR. Mid 60's and have rode dual sports for many years. My wife wants to get a GW. I just can't see myself navigating that boat down the road. I just don't think I need the size nor the power. I was looking at a CTX1300 but the rep of those bikes scares me and it would be hard to get rid of when selling.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013 FJR1300A
94 Posts
I've not ridden a Goldwing but have been doing a lot of research on them. They carry their weight down low. The FJR carries it's weight up high. Just to put that in perspective.

I own a 2013 so I can't speak to the 2008. I've not dropped mine yet accept in the yard. I don't think I had the stand completely down as I was distracted but it is only a matter of time. I ride the FJR mostly with the wife and that does add some weight up top.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means, the FJR is an amazing machine and I love it. Once your going 5mph the weight goes away and she is a sporty and maneuverable rocket ship.

Have you considered a GW without the tour pack? I suggest you ride them both. It does depend on your riding style and experience. I can lay the FJR over much further than I think a GW would go. It's confidence inspiring outside of parking lots and u turns. I come form more of a sport bike background. 52 years old, 5'10, 175 lbs.

If you get a deal on the 2008, you could probably ride it for a year and sell it for minimal loss depending on the details.

·
Registered
2010 FJR & 2004 Honda CB599F
32 Posts
Mine is a little closer to the '08. I am riding a 2010 FJR. I needed something that handled 2 up better than what my other bike is. As my wife and kids always wanted to go out with me.

The previous owner threw in a passenger Corbin seat with back rest. Granted it is no where near the comfort level of a GW. But it is the balance I was looking for.

If it is at a good price and pretty much ride ready. Pull the trigger. Worst case. Sell it after 1 season. You probably will not see a loss. Where I am. Used bikes seem to be going up in price due to lack of supply on all levels.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,522 Posts
Not sure if the 2008 needs a new CCT, but otherwise pretty much the same as my 2007. GW is bigger and heavier, had bigger engine, not more powerful. GW will be more comfortable, fjr more sporty. Try both and see what you want.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
What those guys said...... go for it if the price is right. It won't depreciate very much now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering a 2008 up for sale. Owner stated maintenance completed as called for. Anything special about the Gen II's to ask about? I have sat on a 2013 but never rode a FJR. Mid 60's and have rode dual sports for many years. My wife wants to get a GW. I just can't see myself navigating that boat down the road. I just don't think I need the size nor the power. I was looking at a CTX1300 but the rep of those bikes scares me and it would be hard to get rid of when selling.

Thanks all.
momdadconnors,

For what it's worth I currently own a 2004 FJR, an 08 is Practically the same bike with a facelift. All of the above is great information. I put 20k Miles on my FJR a year. Also, I have ridden both a 2015 Gold Wing F6B and my FJR. For the GW expect a pure touring machine. A lot of the thrills of the road are lost in the suspension but it makes up for that in pure comfort. If eating up miles with a two-up is the goal that's is a great bike for it. The FJR is a perfect balance between your weekend rider and a touring machine. I haven't found a bike better at being a blast down the highway and a corner carver while also being perfectly composed for long-distance touring. As for a two-up, the situation on the FJR I have had a few passengers, and the bike still flows very well with a passenger. i dropped a picture of my FJR in action on the Tail in Tennessee. Scratches on the bags are from hitting a deer a few miles back on this very trip. Long Story Short if she's solid and priced right buy her you won't regret it.

All the luck to you,
Mike
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good info. The bike has 51k on it. Does the CCT have to be replaced if not done?

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
504 Posts
All will have CCT, you need to look at that one to see if has a blue or green dot on it, which indicates the updated or newer style.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have an 08. Great bike but did replace CCT. Also took care of spider bites. Check to see if dealer has done ground wire recall, you need to call a dealer with serial number to find out if it’s done.
White Light Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not all pillions like the FJR, possibly due to the rear seat being higher than the front, if possible get a trial run or at least both sit on it to see how it feels

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have a 2007 FJR-13000A. I'm a 70 year old rider and this is my first Japanese 4 cylinder bike. I love the power and comfort. Handling is good. Hav previously owned narrower bikes; Ducatis mostly. Even my Triumph triples were much narrower. Still I feel good handling the FJR. My wife loves this bike and rides it as well. Re the GW discussion, consider that there is evidence to support the view that if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts