FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
The good news about FJR's is all the bolts go in pretty much specific places and hard to go wrong.
There WILL BE leftover bolts.... the ones that have to be torqued specifically for the lower engine case to the upper. These are one-time use bolts that stretch when properly torqued per the Yammy procedure.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This particular tech has done many of these. I am lucky to have found Bruce @ VOSS
It's nice to know a qualified tech will perform the surgery...my bike was done by (surprise surprise) a #1 Yamaha technician in the World, the guy won first place on Yamaha tech championship in Japan.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's nice to know a qualified tech will perform the surgery...my bike was done by (surprise surprise) a #1 Yamaha technician in the World, the guy won first place on Yamaha tech championship in Japan.

We'll have to get these guys to go a guest appearance for us here some night, moderated so everyone has a chance to say a few things on their mind and get responses.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
I'd like to see what's on that tech exam...... the tech who worked on my project bike, if you read that story, was a 3 time Canadian award winner and had 1 World title. Might be good at textbook stuff, but you also have to be experienced as a mechanic and good at diagnostics before tearing stuff apart you can't fix later.
As for the tranny work, he'd likely be very good, as it is textbook stuff and it comes with instructions.

Reactions: fjrlee and Oldjeep

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
Brett Hart the wrestler became a Yamaha Tech??? 😆😆😆😆

NO I didnt even click on the link before anyone asks.. lol

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'd like to see what's on that tech exam...... the tech who worked on my project bike, if you read that story, was a 3 time Canadian award winner and had 1 World title. Might be good at textbook stuff, but you also have to be experienced as a mechanic and good at diagnostics before tearing stuff apart you can't fix later.
As for the tranny work, he'd likely be very good, as it is textbook stuff and it comes with instructions.
If you search: Yamaha World Technician GP I am sure you'll find lots of info and videos about the competition,
...techs were given nine tasks to complete in 30-minute labs with 10 minutes to rotate from one to the next. “There was a variety of labs, from a wiring board to a customer delivery lab, an R1 transmission, a measurement lab.” Each lab was worth 100 points, and for some a whole motorcycle was used, while for others, just parts, and even people posing as customers. In one diagnostic lab, the technician was presented with an XV 250 that a customer had “made some adjustments to and brought back” with 25 problems: shocks on different preload settings, chain too tight, brake light always on). For an R1 lab, the customer had turned in a misbehaving transmission in a box. “The tech had to look at the shafts, figure out which gear it was jumping out of and why, then reassemble it.”

In another, the tech had to “deliver” a Venture TC to a new customer, illustrating its switches and other parts, talking up Yamaha’s lubrication products, and so on—essentially a product advisory and public relations job. In another, thorough familiarity with the smartphone app that adjusts power settings on a YZ450 was useful. There were also labs involving a wiring board, a motorcycle that would not start, measurement of components, and use of computers for various technical functions. The winner, of course, was the tech with a final score closest to 900.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
282 Posts
A personal recommendation would carry more weight with me rather than all this Gold, Silver, Bronze, Best in World, friend of the Best in World, next best in the world BS, although 'Mericans' always have big badges on their shirts as a sort of affirmation and validation.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
A personal recommendation would carry more weight with me rather than all this Gold, Silver, Bronze, Best in World, friend of the Best in World, next best in the world BS, although 'Mericans' always have big badges on their shirts as a sort of affirmation and validation.
The guys referenced above are 'Canuks' not 'Mericans' ;)

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
282 Posts
Yes, I knew that, but meant North Americans in a geographical sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, I may be wrong but my understanding is qualification for Gold, Silver Lead etc is earned by attending a week long class. Ive been to plenty of those classes myself
and they are useful. But Id prefer a conscientious tech with native ability and experience hands down.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A personal recommendation would carry more weight with me
Personal recommendation would be based on you getting your bike serviced in one place by one mechanic, many times and with great results and no issues after the service, repair.

much easier to get a personal recommendation from a BMW owner ;) ...but almost impossible from the owners of Yamaha or Suzuki, cause they never need any fixing, I.e. my '17 FJR was at the shop ONCE just for that recall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just rode a 3 state, almost 3200 miles, 9 day ride. My 2019 was perfect, after having my cases split twice and no bike for almost 6 months. Very impressed with the FJR 1300 for touring. Just a couple of simple mods and I could do 500 mile days. The bike also shifts better after a fresh oil change.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts