FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped into Voss Motors in Concord ON and saw this taking place on my fave tech's stand... a full 1.5 day's labour! Impressive... and must be done by fully trained individuals for most owners

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Table Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
That's why I bought an '015 when shopping. LOL

Hope it all goes well.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
Jeeze. Can't imagine the pile of parts that must be laying around from doing all that.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
I have an engine here that I got in a basket..... it's not all as complicated as it looks...... I'm going to assemble it and donate it to a local school.
The trans recall is a piece of cake compared to what I have to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an engine here that I got in a basket..... it's not all as complicated as it looks...... I'm going to assemble it and donate it to a local school.
The trans recall is a piece of cake compared to what I have to do.
I have a 2009 that I replaced the 2nd, 5th, and the appropriate gear dogs on. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be either. It took longer to get the parts than to tear it apart to find out exactly what I needed. The engine is rather heavy and doing it myself took about a month and a half (including the time waiting on the parts).

Just out of curiosity, what do you have to do to your engine? :)

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
Just and FYI....... Going back to the old days before the slipper........ to make the clutch pull slightly lighter on a Gen2, some of us swapped out the clutch slave for a Gen1...... it has a larger bore, but lever travel was also slightly more. Not a huge difference, and you had to adjust the lever another notch out (greater reach for those with short fingers).
Not entirely sure, but I think Gen3 went with the Gen1 slave.... would have to measure one to be sure....

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
I have a 2009 that I replaced the 2nd, 5th, and the appropriate gear dogs on. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be either. It took longer to get the parts than to tear it apart to find out exactly what I needed. The engine is rather heavy and doing it myself took about a month and a half (including the time waiting on the parts).

Just out of curiosity, what do you have to do to your engine? :)
The engine is not salvageable as reliable, although, I'm sure it will fun just fine with a bit of work. Have a read.......

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I sure would not want my bike to be the first one a tech has tackled for this job. Or second, or third.....

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Jeeze. Can't imagine the pile of parts that must be laying around from doing all that.
You can minimize the assembly problems. A few years ago someone here had to his FJR because he needed to replace second gear (in a 5 speed). As he tore down the engine, he placed the parts in numbered and labeled ziplock bags. He ended up with about 70 bags.

Couldn't find the original post, but I did find his Youtube video.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
Just and FYI....... Going back to the old days before the slipper........ to make the clutch pull slightly lighter on a Gen2, some of us swapped out the clutch slave for a Gen1...... it has a larger bore, but lever travel was also slightly more. Not a huge difference, and you had to adjust the lever another notch out (greater reach for those with short fingers).
Not entirely sure, but I think Gen3 went with the Gen1 slave.... would have to measure one to be sure....
Looks like that is the case
Gen 1 and 3 part numbers are the same (2005 and 2016)
2007 is different

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
You can minimize the assembly problems. A few years ago someone here had to his FJR because he needed to replace second gear (in a 5 speed). As he tore down the engine, he placed the parts in numbered and labeled ziplock bags. He ended up with about 70 bags.

Engine stuff is easy, I can rebuild a (jeep) engine or transmission just by laying the parts out on the table. It's all the bodywork stuff ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts

I watched this video many times before I did mine. Factory service manual and this video is what made me go through with it myself. I really don't trust the techs around me. When I called to get a quote to have this done on my 2009, the parts guy insisted that it was the same kit used on the 6spd recall and it would have all the gears needed.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
HOLY moly, thats 1 naked motorcycle! Crazy. Mine's scheduled to go in next Tuesday

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
Looks like that is the case
Gen 1 and 3 part numbers are the same (2005 and 2016)
2007 is different
Interestingly the clutch MC is also the same (2005/2016) and different 2007

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
Interestingly the clutch MC is also the same (2005/2016) and different 2007
Interesting, did not know that..... been reading on the Versys forums about swapping out front brake m/c's for different bore or going radial..... those brakes could use some help not being so soft. But, they work if you keep the fluid fresh, and fix the suspenders so the front end doesn't dive so much....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts