FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
amadirectlink said:
the clutch on the AE model works a bit like the clutch on a PW50. There's no lever on the left grip to worry about. You twist, you go. If a 4-year-old can get it, you can.
You betcha. I'm thinking about letting MY 4-year old try an FJR.

amadirectlink said:
After a few miles (and probably a couple of beeps of the horn when you really meant to downshift instead), you'll be a pro.
Tits! I've always wanted to be a pro!

amadirectlink said:
And the AE version provides an entirely new alternative for those wanting to escape the rigors of clutching.
Thank goodness. I hate clutching so much! Such an inconvenience!

amadirectlink said:
Only one question, Yamaha: Where's my radio?
Ya left it on your GoldWing, gramps!

Sorry, tried to think of something clever. Your turn 20valves. :roll:

P.S. - I have to go to the ranch this afternoon and return for a dinner with Laura Ingraham tonight. So, I'll be enduring the rigors of clutching on the R1 'with' it's Diablo Corsas, on 12 miles of gravel!
:twisted: I'll teach those bastards to slip on me at the track! :twisted:

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Quote from the article: "After I trained myself to ever so slightly roll off the throttle each time I shifted, up or down, gear transitions were imperceptible." Now that sounds nice: seamless gear changes.

I am stunned that liquid left out this statement from his list o' mockery (not!). I still want to try one and wouldn't mind owning one. Sounds new, fun, different and from reports so far, not performance compromised.

And liquid, I can send you a pic of my blue '06 FJR if you need proof that I in fact own the "grown up" version.

Give Laura a booty tweek for us, eh?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
Give Laura a booty tweek for us, eh?
I'll let you know how that comes out.

Off to the saddle. :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
ae model

A manual transmission without the clutch. Shifts in 60 Milliseconds. Just couldn't anything nice to say could ya John. Admit it. They have a winner here and you can handle the truth. :D I bet John owns one in a year. :crylarf:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I'm not a grandpa yet but I often feel the start of either carpultunnel or arthritis after a long day of driving the'05 FJR. I think the granny shifter would be much appreciated once they come in.

Mel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ditto what qmotion said. In my case probably due to the onset of arthritis and a very high-speed get-off some years ago! (Doc told me it would come back to haunt me).
Would love to try one anyway, just to be objective you understand.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
There you have it liquid. The robot clutch shows how it can keep some riders on the road. Got an issue widdat, fruitcake? :p :crylarf:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
YAY!! Robo clutch does the impossible! Almost shifts as smoothly as a Burgman/Ridley/Zuma! (with a little practice) :roll:

But seriously folks... with arthritic knuckles myself, I've never come in from a ride on any bike where my clutch hand was bothering me more than my throttle hand. And before you mention traffic jams... when I do all-day enduros, where clutch operation is involved in steering, braking as well as handling the gears... my throttle hand still hurts more than my clutch hand. So why wouldn't factory speed control be a better use of factory resources, than a ridiculously complicated, robo clutch system for teaching 4-year olds to ride FJRs? :p :shock: :wink:

((Oh, Mack and Glenn... she's fun to listen to. You can see her debate style is wicked! If she doesn't have a competitor covered on sheer logic, she can poke fun at them until they're bleeding on the floor. But on the 'looking-at' side... waayyy too skinny. Kinda peekid lookin.' KnowwhatImean? - - This was a swell day of playing hookey. Office in the morning, tell everyone what to do, ride the LE to the ranch and back (had an alarm problem down there) - scenic route 250 miles, shower up for din-din and a concert... 'course NOW it's 11pm and I have half a day's work left. Mack, those Corsas do fine on gravel, and my middles still look brand new. The left side is 'flat' and the right side looks fine. If we ran Heartland Park for a day backwards, the tire would be a perfect V-shape. Very odd tire experience with these, for sure!!))

·
Registered
949 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
Mack, those Corsas do fine on gravel, and my middles still look brand new.
If you got no wear on the middle does that mean the dirt section was done speedway / dirt track / slidin style. I'd like to see an R1 LE maxed out being "savaged" through a dirt corner. Yee haa !

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
YAY!! Robo clutch does the impossible! Almost shifts as smoothly as a Burgman/Ridley/Zuma! (with a little practice) :roll:
you're hopless.....

Liquidsilver said:
those Corsas do fine on gravel
and disturbed, get a GS or one of those KTM contraptions already!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
you're hopless.....
You're just now figuring that out? :?

20valves said:
and disturbed, get a GS or one of those KTM contraptions already!
Here's the access road.

Here's Liquid Ranch. And you remember this spot?

We changed a tire at around 6am one morning here somewhere.

The TAUGHT LE suspension is another story. The gravel roads, and a lot of my favorite rough goat trail roads were quite a beating.

- -

And uh, Lenz, no flat tracking... the left side of the tire was toast from a track day 20valves and I did last weekend. The track had 'acute left-itis' and wore the left side of the tire flat, leaving the right side looking just fine. The part I don't understand is, there are three 100MPH+ spots on that track, including a 150MPH+ straightaway... so how did the middle of the tire look so new?

And lest ye think Liquid's completely gone off 'ees crumpet... it's about 85 miles to the ranch, with lots of scenic Ozark twisties optional, it was a beautiful 70-degree afternoon... I had to go down there anyway, and I'll never use up the middle part of these tires before they're changed for the next track day, so me and Mister ONE had some nice quality time together. Many of the roads I took were from Ozark Extreme I, day 2. It's been many moons since I road-rode an R1 on my favorite backroads... took some time to get comfortable on it again.

I'd forgotten how SWEET that midrange is, in 4th gear, just rolling through sweepers at around 6-grand. The motor is so silky everywhere, just call it dial-a-torque. If you want a nice smooth twisty ride, put it in 5th. If you want smooth, but solid pull, use 4th. If you want less smooth, more engine braking, and very serious pull, use 3rd. If you want wacky, race style engine braking and rip the asphalt up on the exit, use 2nd... but you'll be sore afterwards. Wonderful machine, that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
granny shifter

I dunno- My brother just put a Pingel button-shifter on his Screamin Eagle V-Rod, and I just watch his taillight disappear. I guess it might have been the Garrett turbocharger...........

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Liquid food. :twisted:

Dunno about you, but my FJRs loved roads with 15s on them... don't yours?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts