FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine who has a 03 abs model, took advantage of the nice weather today and went for a run out, a very nice man decided to pull out across the front of him so he grabs a handful and the ABS kicked in, he managed to avoid the cager and stay upright and carried on his journey. He then stopped off somewhere and parked the bike up, came back to the bike and tried to start it no chance, lights and indicators work(turn signals for our american cousins) but it was if there wasn't enough power in the battery to turn the engine over. He's never had any problems before, could it be linked to the ABS? Any help appreciated peeps.

Coppertop

·
Registered
185 Posts
My old FJR was starting to play up in the battery department just before I traded up to a new one; I believe at the time we found quite a few people on the old site having similar problems with bikes of a couple of years old or more.
I regulary give mine a night on the Optimate these days just to make sure it stays well charged - particulary as at this time of year I,m well kitted out in heated clothing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might remember that I had problems with my bike after cleaning the engine :(

As it turned out, I found all connectors in various stage of corrosion :( :( ,remember I only had the bike for a week and she's only an -02.

I am now (going to) treat all her connectors to some high quality grease/cleaner stuff just to try and prevent what happened to your mate.

Ride often & ride SAFE,

Morgan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies, he leaves the bike on an optimate all the time as he has an alarm, the bike has done approx 10,000 miles majority of which in the dry so I don't think the connectors could be a problem but never say never. could be the battery I suppose but on a two year old bike :shock: annoying thing is the warranty ran out on the 13 of this month :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some owners have had batteries "die" at 2 years, Rogdeb springs to mind. One would hope for a longer life cycle than that, but it is possible. Is the Optimate suited for the "gel" battery on the FJR? There are some of the Battery Tenders, here in the States, that are not for use with our batteries.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
madmike2 said:
Some owners have had batteries "die" at 2 years, Rogdeb springs to mind. One would hope for a longer life cycle than that, but it is possible. Is the Optimate suited for the "gel" battery on the FJR? There are some of the Battery Tenders, here in the States, that are not for use with our batteries.
Yes there are, Thats the only reason I got one as I already had a lower quality model that didnt do Gel.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Wait, I thought the FJRs battery was an AGM type. (?)

2 FJRs and I never had a reason to look.

I use the Battery Tender Plus on everything, no problems.

:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I stuffed the battery in my FJR by over charging it. Only 12 months old.

Priced an aftermarket one $250 Aust. ?
\
Got a New one from the Yami dealer $120

·
Registered
237 Posts
I still run the original battery in my 2003 FJR. Seems to work fine for the most part as long as I keep it on the Battery Tender and run it every few days. It does get cranky if I let her sit for a few weeks, even with the Battery Tender connected. I'll in all probability replace the battery this spring just because. Do know however..I have run OEM batteries in my BMWs for 5+ years and in Harleys for 3-4 years. The glass-mat technology seems to work well. For me...I'll keep using those type batteries.

·
Super Moderator
3,980 Posts
My 03 (10/2002 build date) still has the oem battery running in it. I have a replacement WestCo sitting on the shelf for when the OEM dies. So far, so good. Use the Battery Tender Plus any time it's gonna set for more than a day.

[edited to correct the year of build]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is the battery thats stuffed, thanks for all the replies. I'll have to ask him if the optimate he has is suitable for gel batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Acmemfg said:
I still run the original battery in my 2003 FJR. ... It does get cranky if I let her sit for a few weeks, ...
As long as it gets 'cranky cranky' every time you push the starter button, thats' fine. When mine 'got no cranky' I had to replace it. :lol: (Three and a bit years old, BTW)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Three years or so seems to be about the norm for most motorcycle batteries (at least the ones I have owned). So I just replace them about that time....nothing worse than "no cranky" at 1:30 AM outside of an establishment located in a blighted neighborhood of a large metropolitan area..or even worse, being out in the middle of BFE...no fun at all. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts