FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have an 07 yamaha fjr 1300 ae. Bought it last year, changed the oil to Valvoline full synthetic 10 w 40 right after I bought it. At first everything seemed fine, except for a lot of clutch slippage when riding away cold, which it still does. Now, however I’ve noticed some clutch chatter (grabbing) when taking off I first gear. Oil incompatible? Or something else?

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
164 Posts
Man, that's opening up a whole carton of worms!!
On the AE model, clutch slippage and clutch chatter are two sides of the same coin.
Does the clutch slippage when riding away cold change after the engine / clutch has warmed up?
Does the clutch chatter when riding away cold change after the engine / clutch has warmed up?
Could be oil related, or not. Try a different brand to see if it changes.
Could be something else, the clutch engagement / lock up rpm is adjustable via the YCCS diagnostics. What rpm does the clutch first begin to engage, and what rpm does the clutch lock up when the engine / clutch is cold, and when warm?
Might end up making changes on the rpm engagement point depending on season. You'll want to study that whole section of the FSM. Might want to ask a lot of questions before you start making changes on procedures and gotchas!!

Use the "Search Community" box above. There are lots of conversations on this subject.

dan

Things are never so bad they can’t be made worse. – Humphrey Bogart (as Charlie Allnut) from The African Queen.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
Is your oil moto specific? Can't use car oil as it contains friction modifiers that are incompatible with motorcycle clutches. As for the chatter, oil must be sufficiently warmed up to eliminate the chatter. I usually let the bike run while I'm putting on my gear. Sometimes a couple of blips in neutral help to circulate the oil better. Others have made series of adjustments to help or eliminate it but I just learned to live with it. As always YMMV. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
The AE automatically disengages the clutch when you start it...triggered by the, "must use front brake". Yes blipping the throttle allows the plates to disengage more during warm up. As for the Chatter, what is your AE programmed for initial engagement ? Mine is 1300rpm. NO CHATTER ever. The original programming is close to idle speed. I also allow it to run when 1st started by putting on my gear, And I have to do a "K" turn to leave my driveway. As for slippage ...how many miles on the bike ? And don't use car oil ! And make sure the clutch fluid has been changed out correctly. All things are shown in the OEM service manual. And other ways on the internet

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AE automatically disengages the clutch when you start it...triggered by the, "must use front brake". Yes blipping the throttle allows the plates to disengage more during warm up. As for the Chatter, what is your AE programmed for initial engagement ? Mine is 1300rpm. NO CHATTER ever. The original programming is close to idle speed. I also allow it to run when 1st started by putting on my gear, And I have to do a "K" turn to leave my driveway. As for slippage ...how many miles on the bike ? And don't use car oil ! And make sure the clutch fluid has been changed out correctly. ALl things are shown in the OEM service manual. And other ways on the internet
No I don’t use car oil. It’s Valvoline full synthetic for motorcycles with wet clutch. No friction modifiers. I did notice that increasing the idle rpm to 1000 helped a little bit. The slippage only occurs when I first ride away. After that it doesn’t do it anymore.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Do not ride until fast idle has turned OFF and see if it slips less.
I have a 2008 AE the clutch shudders a little on a cold day until engine is at operating temp. A common issue on the AE.
I start my engine and then gear up by then fast idle is off excessive slipping does not happen .
Louis.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Idle should be 1100rpm . I recommend all AEs have a clutch initial engagement of at least 1300rpm...that's ONE step up from the factory delivery setting. It's in the manual how to do it. The clutch will fully engage approx. 500 rpm later = 1800rpm

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR/AE
179 Posts
Idle rpm is supposed to be 1100.

Reactions: 2GENAE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts