FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post here on the forums and hope you can help.

I bought an 02' FJR last year which came with a couple of niggles.

The first is that the electric screen does not work. Previous owner told me he had tried 2 different motors with no luck and gave up, makes me suspect relay/fuse issue.

The second is that the bike came with heated grips which again, don't work.

I'm alright with a set of spanners but I know very little about electrics. Just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to diagnose what the faults could be and how to fix them. Or at least maybe point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum. From your post, I am guessing you are British.

With a bike that old, the faults could be failed components, deteriorated wiring and connectors, or poorly performed maintenance.

Heated hand grips: Weren't standard on Brit bikes until 2006, I think, so a previous owner added them. On OEM installations, the grips are wired in series so a failure in either grip, the controller, or any of the associated wiring would kill the grips.

Windshield: You said previous owner tried two replacement drives? Did he check the fuse, wiring, and controls?

You need to pick up two things: an inexpensive multimeter (if you paid more than the equivalent of $20 US, you bought more than you need) and a factory service manual. You also need to change all the fluids including the brake and the clutch. and many older Brit bikes have problems with the read suspension linkage. and you should check the U-joint and drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Those had a control unit near or attached to the windshield motor..... I'm not sure those are fixable, no experience here. IF only the motor was replaced, perhaps the control module wasn't?

If both heated grips don't work, as John said, likely wired in series, so any break in the wiring of either grip kills them both. Essentially, you'll have to find the connector and test the resistance value... must have some to work.
Note also, that the OEM grip controller does not work unless it sees a minimum of 13.2 or more volts, meaning, if the bike is not running they won't work. Also at idle, they may not have full power but warm up more once riding (if it's the same as Gen2 system).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi all,
First post here on the forums and hope you can help. I bought an 02' FJR last year which came with a couple of niggles.
The first is that the electric screen does not work. Previous owner told me he had tried 2 different motors with no luck and gave up, makes me suspect relay/fuse issue.
The second is that the bike came with heated grips which again, don't work.
I'm alright with a set of spanners but I know very little about electrics.
jwal90,

Disconnect the windshield motor connector. I would expect to find a three-pin connector there. Use small jumper wires (small wires with clips) to connect power to the windshield motor connector pins, to see if it works. Connecting the correct two pins (BRIEFLY!) to Power and Ground should get the motor working, and switching one wire to the left-over pin should reverse the motor. If so, you have a fuse/ relay/ wiring problem, and not a motor problem. When tracing out wires on the electrical drawings, index cards make it easier to track any one wire across the page.

Heated grips need road-worthy engine RPM to work, as mentioned above. If you disconnect one grip connector, you should read Resistance (Ohms) across the connector pins, with no power applied. Each grip should have the same low resistance readings at the connector pins. If either grip is Open (infinite resistance), it will be much less expensive to replace them with a complete new heated grip system such as Oxford, rather than OEM Yamaha parts.

A multimeter (and a friendly electrical-type geek) will be a big help to get you started, there. Expect to spend about US$35 (25 UK pounds) on a very capable multimeter, with a raft of extra cables and clips. You will never outgrow that multimeter. Pick a multimeter that has plug-in test leads, not hard-wired into the multimeter, so you can switch them out as necessary, and replace them easily if the test leads ever fail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts