FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a second speeding endorsment in < 6 months. Ebike now want an immediate increase in premium of £50. Has anyone experienced this with this or any other company?

Neither was ona bike.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, the endorsements don't matter if on a bike or not.

I have never heard of such a penalty imposed mid-term. It would be normal to inform them (which you have) and pay the price at next renewal.

If you (say) got an advanced driver qualification, would they be sending you a cheque? I doubt it.

I have EBike insurance and have had a quick look at their policy document - I can't see anything that relates to mid-term increases/penalties. I would therefore query this and ask where this is stated in their terms and conditions.

Their document lists a complaint procedure, which I would suggest you take up if you do not get satisfaction.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can't say it's exactly the same circumstances, but Carole Nash are trying to rip me off big style on a mid term change.
Totalled the bike in Holland, it got written off, bought a new bike, tried to add it to the policy, NO chance says Carole Nash, bike written off, so is the policy! Sold me a new one at £437. Next day Hastings.com (the insurer) write to me saying, when you get a new bike (or car) we will be happy to add it to the policy which still has 7 months to run ;o)
Long story cut short - wrote to Hastings asking what was going on - take it up with Carole Nash - phoned Carole Nash - Our mistake they said, yes you can continue your current policy - so what do we do now...two policies running! - we'll get you back onto your old insurance as soon as you return the new insurance - can't do that, it's at Swansea getting the cherished transfer sorted (3 weeks and counting) costing me money every day for running two insurance policies, not even sure which one would cover me, if any. DVLA now want to inspect the old FJR, and I don't even know which salvage company has it. (strange request considering I own both bikes and Hastings has declared no interest in the plate)
Carole Nash now wants to charge me on a daily basis (£40.00 so far) for failing to return the 'new' insurance certificate which should never have been issued AND a £25 'admin' fee. I think NOT, I can feel a wee legal battle coming on just to add to my tale of woe.
Whatever you do, don't drop yer bike abroad and have to claim the insurances, it's a royal pain I can tell you!!
7 weeks before I got a pay out for the bike, not even had an aknowledgement from others for gear and equipment and stuff, personal accident Etc Etc, just don't go down that road..;o)
Only letter I got from the personal accident insurance company was 'Don't even think about claiming for Taxis, Phone calls or Prescriptions' instills a great deal of confidence doesn't it??

Malki

P.S. just phoned my personal insurance CO. to confirm they had received my claim, they said Yes, two weeks ago, but will be 15 working days before we get to answer it....rip off Britain or what?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I know you must inform insurance company when you ,either take out a policy or renew. But do you have to ring them up mid term and tell them?
Have I not read the small print proper ,I wonder.

Um e bike , I re insured with them, interesting times now as they were very much cheaper that any other. May be they are about to show there true colours.
They are all bandits at the end of the day, dont care what any one else may say. They will all do what they can to get out of paying you.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Malki, what you need to do is make a formal complaint to Carole Nash and give them a chance to put things right. Address everything to the Managing Director and tell them if they don't sort it out to your satisfaction you will complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. It will cost you nothing and you can still take legal action if you're not happy with the outcome but will cost them almost as much as they are trying to charge you for the complaint to be investigated irrespective of the ombudsman's decision.

Yes I do work in the insurance industry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is that there is a "duty of disclosure".

Probably not an issue until you make a claim and then not bringing the endorsment to their notice will become a problem. My experience is that the first thing an insurance company does when there is a claim is find a reason not to to pay out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ian - I will do all that, just waiting on a final bill from Carole Nash to see how they are working it, DVLA are holding up the whole process by weeks tho with the plate transfer, flippin nightmare. I'm not for walking away from this one though. I don't mind a small charge to the 'other' insurance company as they insured me in good faith not knowing about the first one, but an 'Admin charge' to Carole Nash, not on your life.

Malki

·
Registered
721 Posts
Correct there is a duty of disclosure and most companies will remind you of this on a regular basis. Do you know the most common reason for declining claims? That's right, non-disclosure. Most folks actually only have themselves to blame when their insurance doesn't pay out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Malki, I wouldn't accept anything, less than a full refund from CN, it was their mistake, you should not have to pay for that in any way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ok Ian, what can you tell us about xrm's problem then?

I couldn't find anything that relates to mid-term "penalties" for disclosure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ian said:
Correct there is a duty of disclosure and most companies will remind you of this on a regular basis. Do you know the most common reason for declining claims? That's right, non-disclosure. Most folks actually only have themselves to blame when their insurance doesn't pay out.
Ian, I am sure that legally and technically this is correct. I have to say, though, that the presentation of policies by insurance companies bears some resemblance to the following passage concerning the demolition of one Arthur Dent's house to make way for a Vogon bypass ...

'But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning department for the last 9 months...'

'On display?... I had to go down to the cellar to find them... with a torch. They were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet in a disused cabinet with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard

(Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I must admit that I would have expected something to be in the policy and some are better than others with how they word their policies but if any of your circumstances change which lead to a change of risk it is not unusual for an extra premium to be charged. This includes changing job, moving home, changing the bike etc. so why not when you have been caught speeding? There are also occasions when some companies will refund premiums if the risk goes down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think what stings is the increase in premium mid term.

Insurance companies have a biased view of things. If I want to calim "no claims" for a motorcycle policy, the claimed "no claims" has to have been gained driving motorcycles. IF I have had an accident then it could have been on an insured lawn mower - this would count against me for a motorcycle policy.

In this case I have 7 years no claims & NEVER had a speeding conviction on a motorcycle.

Both of my offences - not convictions, as it never went to court - were in a car. 47 mph in a temp 40 limit on a motorway & 82 in a 70 limit. Hardly the crime of the century, but that's life. Looking at my statistics, the risk on a motorcycle hasn't changed.

Anyway I reduced my policy to third party, fire & theft as it is -10 C , I'll look at it again later.

I don't think Ian works for eBike, he lives down the road from me and he is probably bigger than me - so no attack on Ian please. :lol:

Off to phone wife's insurance - my car is company so more paperwork.

Moral is - insurance companies sell fear & then try and avoid paying up for some reason thay ommited to point out. As I said - not an atack on Ian.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmmmmm......
CN have stung me with the "bike written off so your policy is cancelled" spiel as well, and insisted I take out a new one for the new bike :evil:

Will be giving the insurers a call to find out where they stand on this as the old policy wouldn't have run out until May next year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Marshman - I took it up with my insurers (Hastings) and they referred me back to the broker CN. Was only when I asked for a supervisor that I got any satisfaction and now getting somewhere with a refund.
Seems that CN is not the place it used to be since having been taken over by the RAC ;o)
Only saving grace they have is the free UK & European breakdown/accident cover...which works a treat...fecking bike was home long before I was..lmao.

Malki

·
Registered
721 Posts
Marshman, yes check with the company direct, they do vary in this respect. My own policy for example says they will consider it but it is their choice and there is no obligation for them to do so. Technically in a total loss the cover is at an end as you have received compensation to the value of your loss, but some will transfer onto a new bike as a good will gesture to keep your custom. Some people do get confused over this as they believe they have bought a years insurance so the cover should continue for the full year. That is not the case, you have bought insurance until the earlier of a total loss payment or the expiry of the policy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Cheers Ian and Malki, I'll have a trawl through the fine print of the policy before phoning them then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crikey - say what you like about this Co. but my online quote declaring :-
Power commander, screen, R&G's, indicators, security, 4yrs no claims. unlimited mileage, UK breakdown, Legal protection etc, saved me an absolute packet on what Carole Nash wanted (£291) as a renewal.

The excess was lower too £250 as opposed to £350.

Only difference I could see was no european breakdown cover which can be had for £79 for a full year - less for 30days.

They must be taking so much business from Bennetts, CN and the like.

PS I'm not so daft (really!!) as to know all insurers are sharks at the end of the day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just renewed through CN again.

In my case, ebike didn't come up that different from CN (just about 20 Blairos), but that's probably because I run two bikes on the one policy - with one of the bikes being a "classic". (Combined total of £278 against £258).

Inertia took over and I stayed put. However, many of my work colleagues have gone over to ebike as their quotes for a single bike were significantly cheaper.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts