FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get an owners manual for my 2006. How do I take my seats off and/or gain access to my battery to charge it. I guess the dealer didn't fully charge the battery because when I went to start it today it's dead, the lights barely come on.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Daniel I think the battery is still located under the black plastic on the right hand side. The 06's are a bit different, as far as taking the plastic off, than the 01-05 models. You'll just have to look at the fastenerson the plastic anfd take it apart.

If the seat lock mechanism is the same there should be a locking mechanism about 4 inches below the front and back seat junction on the left side of the bike. Lift the seat off as you turn the key in the lock.

Glenn

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
It's not under the seat, it's built into the front fairing. At your level of experience, I think the dealer needs to take care of this for you.

If the key was left on, or something left plugged into the power socket... it doesn't take long for the battery to discharge.

or

You'll need a charger anyway, and you can use an cig lighter adapter from the charger to the power socket, but you need to get it charged up ASAP, and keep it fully charged to prevent battery damage. Battery Tenders rock.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a trickle charger so I can charge the battery if anyone can point me to exactly where it is. I will need my wife to charge it while I am at work today so my buddy can ride it tonight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Daniel Hice said:
I have a trickle charger so I can charge the battery if anyone can point me to exactly where it is. I will need my wife to charge it while I am at work today so my buddy can ride it tonight.
do away w/your trickle charger and obtain a "Battery Tender Plus" pig tail your battery posts, zip tie the tail in a convenient location and plug it in and walk away. It will keep your battery at full charge and turn it's self off and maintain a constant monitor of the battery.--no worries :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There are pictures on this site somewhere of the battery access on the new 06 - under the black plastic fairing on the right hand side of the bike as you sit on it.

Maybe you left your ignition one further click anti-clockwise when you take the key out - this leaves the parking lights on (or did on the older bikes)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I did leave it on, I know how it died, I just didn't expect it would drain it in 15 minutes. What I did was fire it up and let it come up to temp and then shut it off. The fans were still on and I was afraid to just shut it off without letting the cooling system get the engine cooled back off a little so I left it switched on with the engine off. I came back 15 minutes later and it was dead. It is completely my fault for not having a better understanding of it. I just want to get it charged up so I can have my buddy take it out tonight while he is in town.

I will try to find the post about the battery now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Daniel the battery is in the same location as the compartment, except on the right hand side. You do have do take a few things aprt to get there. But its no worse than getting to a car battery. Forget taking it to the dealer unless you just got bucks to waste!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Daniel Hice said:
Oh I did leave it on, I know how it died, I just didn't expect it would drain it in 15 minutes. What I did was fire it up and let it come up to temp and then shut it off. The fans were still on and I was afraid to just shut it off without letting the cooling system get the engine cooled back off a little so I left it switched on with the engine off. I came back 15 minutes later and it was dead. It is completely my fault for not having a better understanding of it. I just want to get it charged up so I can have my buddy take it out tonight while he is in town.

I will try to find the post about the battery now.
Daniel brings up a good point, do y'all leave the igintion on if when you stop the cooling fan is still running? On the 05, it turns off if you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, theoretically the engine should not get any hotter if its not running, it might take a little longer to cool off. But if your not riding what difference does it make?

·
Registered
405 Posts
You're letting your buddy ride it? Great God, man, unless he has some experience on this bike, I wouldn't let JC ride mine. This is not like other bikes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you got to Yamaha's web site and sign up to "My Yamaha". You will then be able to down load an acrobat copy of the entire owners manual. There is no charge for anything. :D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I don't understand how you didn't receive your owner's manual with your brand new bike. That's not right at all. Your dealer needs to get you one asap on his nickel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, they say they ordered me a new one but I haven't seen it yet. The bike was picked up by my dealer from a dealer in Mississippi so I guess it made things less than otimal or something, I don't know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For 06 FJR:

Right side panel opposite the cigarette lighter

Undo two silver screws and the black quick-fastener.

Careful when putting the panel on/off. Where the upper right hand screw is, there is a little metal attachment(threaded) that allows the screw to "screw into" - this little attachment can pop off easily as it did with me and fell into the depths of my right fairing -Grrrrrrr! So now I only have 2 of 3 screws holding that panel on.

Did manage to put a battery terminal harness for my battery tender -

Daniel you should really get one of these. Pep Boys has them for around $30 for the charger, attachment, and "booster cable" attachment. Like one of the other members said, you can just zip tie the attachment on like I did and you can charge you batter when not in use. Great for the winter or when you don't ride for a while. Your battery will last much much longer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Daniel,
The battery is, as you know by now, under the black fairing trim beneath the right handgrip. The '06's are very simple to remove. (not familiar with the previous years) Simply remove the 2 Hex drive bolts and the pop in retainer on the front side (removes horizontally) of the plate.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
czguybilly said:
See, This is what I mean about the general crappy dealership support on the FJR. I dont get it.(venting here)
I don't think from a few posts that it's accurate to say there is "general crappy dealership support." My dealer (Maxey's in Oklahoma City) did a great job on set up. Yamaha has something like 1,500 dealers in the US and we've heard about substandard work from two or three here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts