FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new 06 FJR on it's first big tour covering 2300 miles in 7 days. Prior to this trip I had about 1700 miles on the bike. As the trip progressed, I must have mentioned to my friend at least 20 times that I did not like the smallish kickstand for such a large machine. I should mention that I also own a VTX 1800 with a HUGE kickstand. Anyhow, I pull into a parking lot at a lighthouse at Cape Cod and doesn't the damn thing roll forward off the stand that I thought I had pushed completely down. By the time I realized the stand had folded up, the bike was too far over for me to keep up. Thank God the left mirror and generator cover were the only things damaged (scraped). I called my dealer from the road and new parts ($150) are on their way. It was all my fault, but I sure wish the side stand was a bit larger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
zane_in_nc said:
Frame sliders are your friend!
+1

Mine started to roll forward this morning as I was loading the left sidecase; my driveway slopes slightly downward. Fortunately I noticed the sidestand's different position and was able to stand up to catch the bike. It would be nice if the sidestand were larger, maybe grind a smidge off the stop to get the stand to go a little more forward would help prevent a reoccurence.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A common problem with many owners since 2001.

The side stand stop was ground back on mine to allow the stand to position further forward (about half an inch or so) before my bike even left the dealer. I have NEVER had a problem in nearly 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That sounds like a very good idea. A 15 minute fix that could prevent some very expensive damage.

Now.where did I put that die grinder................................................. :roll:

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's not yours until you marked it.
All done it.
Better to scrape it now , then its all done and you need worry no more.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Picked up my 05 in Oregon, ready to ride it to Vermont. Loaded the cases and took off. Made it to the CA border and ran into a stoppage due to a car wreck. Got off to look down the road, which was a slight down slope, and it rolled off the sidestand all by itself. Less than 200 miles. Scratched the case, bent the clutch lever. Pissed me off, but like the man said, thsoe first boo boos take the heat off for the rest of the ride.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zane_in_nc said:
Thanks Zane! I never heard of sliders until your mention. Looked them up and they surely would have saved the crankcase cover and paid for themselves right there. Live and learn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dropped mine twice now, and have just replaced the RHS slider. Gives the bike a kind of "lived on" look.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Doc when I ordered my sliders I also ordered a carbon fiber generator cover which goes right over the existing cover. You might want to investigate that option. It is probaly cheaper than a new cover and it will offer protection for the next time...not that there will be a next time. :)

gypsy

·
Registered
172 Posts
that first drop gets the gremlins out. :twisted: I have left the scrape on my case, afraid if I replace it---it'll go over again :cry: bad luck, black cats, and all that stuff

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just went to get some 'dinner' at a local BBQ place, their parking lot is gravel. I put the side stand down, get off and was removing my helmet when the bike slipped thru the gravel and I thought for sure it was going to fall on me... and as crappy as my day has been that would NOT have surprised me!

Anyhow, it did not go down. Usually I think about that and have a little piece of metal I carry to put down in those kinda parking lots but it was like 100 degrees outside my brain must have been fried!

Mark that one up to sometimes it is 'Better Lucky than Good' :oops:

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
sherlock said:
I have also got into the habit of leaving the bike in gear..
+1 on every bike since the '70's. Put in gear, let it ease forward/backward (in the direction of the slope of the land) to where the drive line grabs, then put down the stand.

Here's some good stuff to have:

http://tinyurl.com/fektb

http://tinyurl.com/z5tqb

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't wish a "drop" on anyone, but it is sure good to hear I'm not the only one to have done this. I felt like a real a$$ at the time. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will definitely invest in sliders and if she should tumble again, the carbon cover. I already got the mirror and cover to repair this mistake.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dockjekyll said:
zane_in_nc said:
Thanks Zane! I never heard of sliders until your mention. Looked them up and they surely would have saved the crankcase cover and paid for themselves right there. Live and learn.
+1

Yep, I'm 5"4'. It's going to happen sooner or later. Figured the sliders were cheap insurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts