Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has tried to use the Admore harness connections to install any of the LED driving lights that act as driving lights (white) until the turn signal is engaged when they turn yellow and flash. If so what lights did you use? There are lots of “strip” lights available, but I was looking for something more like a standard driving light.
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Only on the latest models of Harleys have I seen round (2" ??) LED combination driving/signals like you describe and haven't come across any others.... interested though if someone knows of them. The ones I saw I believe are OEM Harley, they were very good, but soon enough, they will be copied I'm sure, if not already.

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
I don't think the Admore harness has what you'd need. The turn signals in the rear don't act as "driving" lights, i.e., they're off until turned on. I think you'd have to tap into the front turn signal circuit, either directly with LED or with a relay (incandescent or halogen).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has tried to use the Admore harness connections to install any of the LED driving lights that act as driving lights (white) until the turn signal is engaged when they turn yellow and flash. If so what lights did you use? There are lots of "strip" lights available, but I was looking for something more like a standard driving light.
Dimmer,

The LEDs you want are called SwithBack LEDs, as a type, but I have not seen driving lights/turn signals in any realistic size. They seem to be gee-whiz decorative rather than functional driving lights, so far. I feel sure that what yo want will be available (and practical) in the future, of course. Typically the SwitchBack LEDs have three wires: ground, white, and colorized. Driving lights would be connected as normally done, with a tap onto the turn signal wiring somehow. I don't think you will find pre-made wiring harnesses to do the job. It would probably be better to tap the turn signal power needed at a connector, rather than splicing into insulated wiring.

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
Dimmer,

The LEDs you want are called SwithBack LEDs, as a type, but I have not seen driving lights/turn signals in any realistic size. They seem to be gee-whiz decorative rather than functional driving lights, so far. I feel sure that what yo want will be available (and practical) in the future, of course. Typically the SwitchBack LEDs have three wires: ground, white, and colorized. Driving lights would be connected as normally done, with a tap onto the turn signal wiring somehow. I don't think you will find pre-made wiring harnesses to do the job. It would probably be better to tap the turn signal power needed at a connector, rather than splicing into insulated wiring.

Happy hunting!
Actually....

Described that way, the Admore harness could be used b/c there are separate wires for everything in the rear. The license plate wire (always on with key) could be used for driving lights and the turn signal wires for turn signals. It could work without splicing into wiring at all.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Admore actually has instructions on wiring up their topcase lights using the harness, and theirs has running, blinker, and taillight function. I know this because every winter I consider adding case lights, due to a lot of riding in the dark. And every year, I decide that I don't want to drill into my case. Already got their light bar, anyway.
Actually....

Described that way, the Admore harness could be used b/c there are separate wires for everything in the rear. The license plate wire (always on with key) could be used for driving lights and the turn signal wires for turn signals. It could work without splicing into wiring at all.

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Admore actually has instructions on wiring up their topcase lights using the harness, and theirs has running, blinker, and taillight function. I know this because every winter I consider adding case lights, due to a lot of riding in the dark. And every year, I decide that I don't want to drill into my case. Already got their light bar, anyway.
I'm an idiot. I interpreted the original question as needing one wire to accomplish both functions. It wasn't until red chimed in that I realized how retarded I am :roll:.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has tried to use the Admore harness connections to install any of the LED driving lights that act as driving lights (white) until the turn signal is engaged when they turn yellow and flash. If so what lights did you use? There are lots of "strip" lights available, but I was looking for something more like a standard driving light.
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
Something like this ?

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-dome-signal-lights-model-412/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm an idiot. I interpreted the original question as needing one wire to accomplish both functions. It wasn't until red chimed in that I realized how retarded I am :roll:.

Something like this ?

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-dome-signal-lights-model-412/
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. When I was thinking what had to be in the Admore harness, i realized that it had to have enough connections to allow for power, ground, and at least the third wire (actually 2 of them [left and right]) to trigger the signals. Coming from cruisers (a while ago) the "triangle of light" is something I haven't forgotten. I have the butt ugly police crash bars on my '06 and I was hoping to mount something on those mounts. I've got a set of "standard" LEDs ready to go, but I'm a little worried about over powering the front signals.

I saw something like these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Acelane-Motorcycle-Indicator-Blinkers-Motorbike/dp/B087CKMV7C/ref=sr_1_42

but I'm looking for something round and about 2.5-3 inches in diameter.

BTW, as ugly as the MC Enterprises (Yes, I got a pair along with the pannier protectors before they stopped being available) police bars are, I finally (I knew it was going to happen) dropped the FJR on a sloped parking lot last fall. Other than some scrapes on the bars, no damage, and we were able to continue our day ride through the White Mountains of NH.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and BTW for anyone who might have retrofit LED signals in the FJR how did you handle the needed resistance to keep the signals from fast flashing?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Dimmer,

To be clear, I do not know if any existing accessory harnesses are built with heavy-duty wiring that can handle running lights safely. Depending on the current draw of the "turn signal" switchback LEDs, the turn signal wiring may be insufficient for them, as well.

Now if the wiring harness is controlling relays to handle those heavy currents, you should know that switching relays will put very little stress on any wiring harness. I would recommend the relay approach, there. A relay-controlled FuseBlock can supply all the power needed from the battery to operate new running lights or turn signals. The FuseBlock will give you fuse protection for the added wiring. HTH.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dimmer,

To be clear, I do not know if any existing accessory harnesses are built with heavy-duty wiring that can handle running lights safely. Depending on the current draw of the "turn signal" switchback LEDs, the turn signal wiring may be insufficient for them, as well.

Now if the wiring harness is controlling relays to handle those heavy currents, you should know that switching relays will put very little stress on any wiring harness. I would recommend the relay approach, there. A relay-controlled FuseBlock can supply all the power needed from the battery to operate new running lights or turn signals. The FuseBlock will give you fuse protection for the added wiring. HTH.
Red, thanks. I'm right on the fence re: a relay. I've got one ready to go. The LEDs draw so little power (I'm currently working out their draw, but I think it's about 500 mA playing with my HP 6216) that I may not "need" to, however, it's always good practice. According to Admore the harness should support up to 2A so it may be how much wiring I want to do.

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
Dimmer,

IMO a relay is totally unnecessary with added LED lights. They draw so little current. My Admore LED light bar is direct wired, never a problem, ever.

For my truck, the conversion to LED bulbs required resistor installation as there is no flasher relay. I think if you do a little searching, you'll find your 2006 DOES have a standard flasher relay and that can be replaced with an electronic one so no fast flashing and no resistors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO a relay is totally unnecessary with added LED lights. They draw so little current. My Admore LED light bar is direct wired, never a problem, ever.

For my truck, the conversion to LED bulbs required resistor installation as there is no flasher relay. I think if you do a little searching, you'll find your 2006 DOES have a standard flasher relay and that can be replaced with an electronic one so no fast flashing and no resistors.
Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts