FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chief complaint of the FJR is the negative pressure found when the windscreen is in the upright position. Would drilling a few holes in the lower portion of the shield prevent this? Has anyone tried this? I read about people doing this on their old FJ's. Any input would be great before I ruin my stock screen on my '05. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
worldbound4now said:
My chief complaint of the FJR is the negative pressure found when the windscreen is in the upright position. Would drilling a few holes in the lower portion of the shield prevent this? Has anyone tried this? I read about people doing this on their old FJ's. Any input would be great before I ruin my stock screen on my '05. Thanks.
There wasnt a vent at the bottom of the Old Fj range but the Fjr has a large gap between the screen and the fairing. So drilling any further holes may prove useless.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I see Hmmm.. It looks like it may work then, but with holes that size it looks like the rider may get slightly wet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Holes in Your Screen

Guys,

Yes it works! I installed two 2 inch round holes with a holesaw in the lower corners of my screen. Negative pressure gone. Now that it is cold, I have installed two knock out closers (electrical supplies) to stop the cold draft.

BAGSTR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Holes in Your Screen

BAGSTR said:
Now that it is cold, I have installed two knock out closers (electrical supplies) to stop the cold draft.BAGSTR
Can you show us how you did this and how it looks?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, please show me. These simple improvements may go a long way, but I don't feel like buying a new windscreen if it doesn't work. I'm trying to learn from other's trials and tribulations. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
screen link

Hi everyone - looked at the link for the police site and watched the video couldn't help but notice the crash bars they use, anyone seen these before how much and where are they ? - by the way do the holes work , do i get the jig saw out over christmas. -- rep :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fastwally, that mod looks decent as well. It's great that you can close the vents when needed. How did you cut your shield? I have a Dremel but am afraid that the high speed cutter would create too much heat and cause a melted mess. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the great idea.

Worldbound4now :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
wldbnd4now, I taped everything up around the cut real well, then used my jigsaw with a 22/24 tooth blade. Drilled holes in the corners to get started. Used a litle sand paper and it looked great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Show Me

Miguel,

I would like to show you the photo but, I have yet to work through the new photo posting issue. Basically, I used a 2 inch holesaw attached to a drill motor to make two holes as low in the screen as possible. The holesaw uses a 1/4" pilot bit to center the saw. If you go to an electrical wholesale house and ask for a 2 inch waterproof knockout closer, they will give you a grey painted metal cover complete with a 8-32 stud and wingnut. The cover has a rubber/foam pad and a round metal inside plate that sandwiches the screen. Sometime, I will paint the covers with eyeballs or apply sticker graphics.

Good Luck,
In San Diego,
BAGSTR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts