FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Pirelli Diablo Strada for my FJR today. Stamped on the sidewall is "made in Germany". The tread pattern looks very similar to the pattern of the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. I'd guess both tires are manfactured in the same German factory. U.S. customer support for Metzeler and Pirelli share the same phone number.

·
Registered
141 Posts
From the Metzeler website (link):

1986 - Since the 1st January 1986, Metzeler had been a member of the Pirelli Group. A restructuring period of the existing different branches into independent companies took place, and in 1989, Pirelli founded Metzeler Reifen GmbH. In the same year Metzeler introduction of the arrow parabolic tyre to the rear wheel - the ME 1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well that's bad news for me! If the 06 will have Metzlers, which is basically Pirelli's I'll change them out in a heart beat.

I have had 8 Pirelli tires in my life time, on auto's, and EVERY one failed about mid life due to ply separation. Sounds like some of the problems some people have had on FJR's.

I won't use them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't think you'll convince any of them across the Atlantic to try the Z6 afterburn. The topic was discussed at length on the old board, entrenched positions were adopted, and suspect it'll probably be ages before opinions can be swayed again. :|

Which is fine, after all there are lots of other good tyres out there, just means there are more Metzs/Pirellis in Europe for those of us who do use them... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have given up on tire preferences. There are also loads of people who'd swear the BT020 is the best ST tire available. Now it isn't a bad tire by all means, but it is an almost 10 year old design. Not even the NT revamp can fix that. There are better tires out there by now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts