FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think guys?

A - Yes, the 06 model will be a "smash" and Yamaha will rule for many years;
B - No: BMW - or maybe Honda or Guzzi, or... - will make till then the ultimate Sport Touring machine and Yamaha will loose it's appeal;
C - Yes but at that time there will be an FJRR (a completly brand new and revolutionary design, more power, more comfort, etc.);
D - I don't care: even if things change I'll keep my FJR and take it to classic bikes meetings;
E - In 2010 big motorcycles will have a fuel cell engine and that will be a different story.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A: yes
B: No: BMW - or maybe Honda or Guzzi, do not know how to make an equivalent
C: yes but one of the updates will be 2 wheel drive
D: I don't care: even if things change I'll keep my FJR (unless they bring back black )
E: Bollocks :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
In 1986 the VFR came out and was a smash hit for many years - right up until they (Honda) came out with the vtec version. Too many bad rumours (the bike is fine) and bad quality control have ruined it's reputation.

But the current rider base will go on for many years to come.

So, I see something similar (although not as big) for the FJR. It is now a fine bike - 2006 will probably not change that. Whatever they come out with in 2008/9 may do so.

The competition may be playing 'catchup' or even overtake a bit - but who cares ?

Fuel cell - 150 bhp ? I don't think so !

·
Registered
331 Posts
A: Yes, It is the same power plant with the addition of some extra goodies

B: No, Not in the same league

C: No, Because most will within the next 2-years go for the 06 model

D: Now you are talking nonsence

·
Registered
372 Posts
Rally 2010, If there is one in North America, and I have no doubt there will be, I will (God willing) be on my '04, and by my calculations it should have about 180,000 km on it by then. My plan is to ride it as I do until it hits 200,000 km then buy the current model for my big rides but keep my trusty '04 for sentimental reasons, like I should have with all the other bikes I still think about.
Fuel cell maybe in 2020!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FJR dead in 2010?

My guess is that FJR will not last for 10 years. Maybe in 2010 there will be a new model - or a major evolution of it - because the competition will not spleep and understand that the FIMB (=Fair Income Mature Bikers) segment is growing fast.

This is not a problem because FJR already is a "classic" and will take us happily to that time. :)

About fuel cell: of course this technology still has a long way to go before it arrives to bikes (or, massively, to cars). Any way I think FC engines will represent to gas motors what those represented in the past to steam engines. Maybe in 10 - 15 years from now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fjr competition

The competition is catching on.

The new K1200GT and the forthcoming Kawasaki of which there are strong rumours.

The latter is the one I am more curious about.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The fact that the FJR has been so successful lies in the broad market it caters to. I suspect that some evolution will continue and even if the FJR is discontinued there will be another model created to fill the market niche.

On the fuel cell issue and more generally on fuel, I hate paying more for fuel but it will really put a "rocket" under the alternative fuel / innovative technology sector and this ultimately is a good thing. The OPEC cartel that have got us all by the sensitive parts appear to be a little short sighted. I heard of a tale attributed to a learned Arab gentleman who was asked how the oil should be managed. He said that : "We should produce as much of the oil as possible and sell it while we can - Remember, the Stone Age did not end because there was a shortage of stones".

Fuel cells are in their infancy but there is major investment behind the development of this technology. Focussed market attention is a powerful force.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
david1300 said:
Will the real Mig please step forward?
Maybe it's difficult for you to understand but it looks like in Portugal there are more than one Miguel and, amazing, both have FJR's! :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lenz said:
The OPEC cartel that have got us all by the sensitive parts appear to be a little short sighted. I heard of a tale attributed to a learned Arab gentleman who was asked how the oil should be managed. He said that : "We should produce as much of the oil as possible and sell it while we can - Remember, the Stone Age did not end because there was a shortage of stones". Lenz
The barrel costs when it leaves the production about 12 USD. Those who make the most of the money - and prices escalate - are refineries and other people involved in the trade / financial business related to oil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: FJR dead in 2010?

miguel21op said:
My guess is that FJR will not last for 10 years. Maybe in 2010 there will be a new model - or a major evolution of it - because the competition will not spleep and understand that the FIMB (=Fair Income Mature Bikers) segment is growing fast.

This is not a problem because FJR already is a "classic" and will take us happily to that time. :)

About fuel cell: of course this technology still has a long way to go before it arrives to bikes (or, massively, to cars). Any way I think FC engines will represent to gas motors what those represented in the past to steam engines. Maybe in 10 - 15 years from now?
"FIMB" is a shrinking market, ie baby boomers are on the decline and heading towards cruisers and tourers, not sport bikes. The generations that follow are considerably fewer in numbers, have greater proportions of female riders, and the scooter scene is hotter than it's ever been. Sport bikes sales, and STs will be on the decline IMO

FJR is not classsic. You don't find classics in salvage yards, they don't make it that far down the "food chain" since their following is so strong any bikes get snapped up by owners/parts dealers etc. Can't see the FJR will be in that category, though it is a "legendary" model for sure.

Japanese manufacturers, generally speaking, are not know for their enduring designs like European or American manufacturers, though there are a small number of exceptions, V-Max/Concours as examples, most models are dropped after a relatively short run. The VFR, unlike the V-max and Concours, is not even close to being the same bike it was having been through so many iterations, the current version, as was mentioned, is not as good as the one it replaced, two iterations ago.

BMW is working on internal combustion hydrogen engine. That will be the future IMO, not fuel cells, but good old pistons running on hydrogen or some other yet to be fomulated combustible fuel.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
sherlock said:
TWO MIGUELS !!
Ohhhh! :shock:

I figured our old friend Miguel had simply changed his screen name a little. (?)

Well then, welcome new-Miguel.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

st ryder said:
The generations that follow are considerably fewer in numbers
Not sure you're correct about fewer numbers coming up, at least not here in America. That demographic in America is being called the "boom echo" and represents the children of the so called "baby boom" and is a pretty large lump. Europe's birth rate is considerably lower than the US, at least among native Europeans it is, so perhaps that's true where you live.

st ryder said:
You don't find classics in salvage yards,
Happens all the time, seems like many of the "classic" bike tales begin with "I found it in the corner of Mert's salvage yard...."

st ryder said:
Japanese manufacturers, generally speaking, are not know for their enduring designs like European or American manufacturers
Overhead cam in line fours anyone? That seems to be enduring fairly well.

st ryder said:
The VFR...is not even close to being the same bike it was having been through so many iterations, the current version, as was mentioned, is not as good as the one it replaced, two iterations ago.
I'd say the VFR is very close indeed. Certainly not identical, but same mission, same basic design.

st ryder said:
BMW is working on internal combustion hydrogen engine. That will be the future IMO, not fuel cells, but good old pistons running on hydrogen or some other yet to be fomulated combustible fuel.
Can't wait to see it. I don't want to live near a hydrogen filling station though, esepcially if a large zeppelin pulls in. :wink:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts

st ryder said:
Japanese manufacturers, generally speaking, are not know for their enduring designs like European or American manufacturers, though there are a small number of exceptions, V-Max/Concours
Now THAT'S crazy talk!

I don't think any country has brought more to motorcycles than Japan. Their designs brought performance and reliability to a market frought with high-maintenance, heavy, unsafe, ill-performing dinosaurs.

:) - not affiliated with anything in Japan
(except a couple of hotels and sour real estate things)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

st ryder said:
"FIMB" is a shrinking market, ie baby boomers are on the decline and heading towards cruisers and tourers, not sport bikes. The generations that follow are considerably fewer in numbers, have greater proportions of female riders, and the scooter scene is hotter than it's ever been. Sport bikes sales, and STs will be on the decline IMO

Do you think FJR is a sport bike? I don't think so: FJR is a tourer, a performance tourer but a tourer any way.

I agree with you about female riders growing market.

·
Registered
85 Posts

miguel21op said:
Do you think FJR is a sport bike? I don't think so: FJR is a tourer, a performance tourer but a tourer any way.
According to Yamaha, it is.

The FJR is found under their "Sport Bike" section, and besides, I stated I thought both, sport bikes *and* ST sales will be down in future, as I, unlike Yamaha, make a distiction between the two, though some ST's will out perform some sport bikes. Mind you, I don't confuse an "R" or "RR" bike with a sport bike either. Rs denote "race", which is not to say one couldn't ST on a R :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts