FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear people,

Proud to be old! Do you feel old?

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because:Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.
When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.

No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, and no Internet chat rooms. We had friends we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.

We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock-and-run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friend's homes.

We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.
This my friends, is surprisingly frightening...and it might put a smile on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986...They are called youth.
They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the
Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle. For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam. AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white. To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance. They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are Films from last year. They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Red Hand Gang or the Famous Five. They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't you. They can't believe a black and white television ever existed and don't even know how to switch on a TV without a remote control. And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.

2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.

3. Your friends are getting married/already married.

4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.

5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.

6. You remember watching Dirty Den in East Enders the first time around.

7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the fun you have experienced together.

Yes, you're getting older!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
And maybe, just maybe, those day's were not so bad.

rad, one foot still living in the past, but at 61 living large.

Listening to ABBA as I post this, The Winner Takes It All is rocking the house. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
My personal freedom as a kid in Australia (born 1956) while restricted through limited family finance was relatively carefree but there were still no go zones and experiences that were endured rather than enjoyed. Motorcycle speedway was HUGE in Australia during the 60's and 70's and a team of kids pedalling around town, racing around the bush tracks and getting into all sorts of scrapes I still reckon beats the daylights out of current non active, "non body experience". My kids are strongly encouraged to participate in the real world. Punishments I experienced based on TV access have now evolved into computer game access "management" for my kids. Seems to work too.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
131 Posts
old age

Though I'm a youngster (1957 :D ) I can identify with everything you said....funny that to us they were our youth & the good old days :shock: , yet to others, it was the time of savages & caveman. Thanks...MH

·
Registered
119 Posts
I remember:
Knowing the names of the nurses in the doctors office and being able to tell the Doc how many stiches it would take today.
Watching Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tom & Jerry, and the rest all whacking each other over the head with common household items, shooting, blowing each other up, etc. Most of us turned out allright.
Having the school told by my father not to spank me, but rather to call him, and KNOWING that if that ever happened, the last anyone would ever see of me would be as I got into his car...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hogan 2085
I want to be back there.
You'd go off fishing with yer mate all day. Clown around and nearly drown. Eat yer bread rolls after putting worms on yer hook .
Bath once a week , (that's if you could'nt get away with it. Then you got in the water, everyone else had used before , with that off white scum floating on it. Always last , as Mum Dad had to find me first.

I was scared of local copper. Even more so when he'd been on the cider!

Still got scar on me nose from stick and stone rounders.

The weeks family holliday was in wooden hut , 8 miles down the road , at Blue Anchor in West somerset. Thought it was the best place ever. It's not changed that much. Except old huts gone.

Wurtle berry picking, was order of day if you ever said to yer Mum in summer hols , that you were board. Miles up over top of Exmoor. No rescue parties then. You'd always find yer way home when hunger got the better of you.

Ummm! Guess geting on a bit me self now.
I would just love to go back , no mobile phones. That would be it for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing, no matter where we all live on this planet, all of us of a "certain age" remember those innocent years, or were they so innocent? Whos fault is it that we now live in this sterile over cautious world in which modern day youth miss out on such wonderfull things.
( now then back to my computer ) :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
'Why have a six pack when you can have a barrel'

Getting into these one liners are we?

Where was the ispiration for that one? :shock:

Teejay
--------------------------------------------------------------
[/i][/b]Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think we all do a lot more when we get older these days. I mean , we have just got back from Jiving all weekend until 3 each morning and just got back from playing squash now.
In Neil Youngs famous song/words,
"It's better to burn out , than it is to rust, hey , hey , my , my rock un roll will never die"
I look around the dance floor, the majority are 40 and way upwards. I go to bike meets, there aint many under 40 and there are two old boys on the squash court just now , they aint much below 70 , looking at them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't "think" I'm old until I see a childhood friend I haven't seen for decades, and realise I must look just as whipped to him/her as he/she does to me, nor do I "feel" old until I try and do something physical and realise I'm not half as strong as I once was. As far as aging is concerned, you can run but you can't hide. Motorcycling sure does help keep one young.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Afterburn lay off the too old bit ,im just a few more than you in the numbers game & now i feel past it lol Gee now if i were say sixty i be hunting you down for puttin us out to pasture .

35's not old just a little drier behind them ears

But as this post well points out the good old days were so much better !!!

PS: just having a dig at ya AB all in good old fashioned fun

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Surefire way to realize your age:

Move to a new city.

Stay in a hotel room while you look for apartments.

Locate apartment, arrange to move in next day.

Order mattress set for next-day delivery.

Check out of hotel next morning.

Get phone call at work that your mattress is delayed 2 days.

Tell yourself "meh, no sense paying for 2 more nights at a hotel. I slept on the ground plenty as a kid (sleepovers, camping) and even in the infantry (glorified camping with all-green gear). Sleeping on a carpeted floor would have been a luxury. No problem."

After tossing and turning from 11pm to 4am, get up, take overnight kit back to hotel and check in while calling in a "sick" message at work so you can catch up on sleep lost, realizing that you're 10+ years older, gazillion pounds fatter and stiffer than you were back then...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts